Stello DA100 vs DA220?
Oct 8, 2006 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

alex_cs

100+ Head-Fier
Hey dudes.

After the Storm Digital debacle, Im weighing up whether to get a new DAC. Currently ive got an opamp modded Zhaolu D2C and am eager to try something further up the food chain.

My question is hopefully directly at those lucky enough to play with both the 100 and 220. I would be prepared to pay 1500-2000 for a DAC ultimately, but feel there is probably a cheaper way to get most of the way there in the DA100.

Now I know there will be those who will chip in saying they have one of the other and that is welcome, but it would be good to hear from those who have tried both. Is there a night and day difference?

A further option is the ECD-1 which is even more expensive. My concern is a lot of the owners of these DAC's have only tried their particular model, and while the enthusiasm for each is driving me crazy with jealousy, it would be nice to know if there are wide gaps in sound quality, or whether at DA100 and above it becomes a matter of subtlies and nuances between the brands, and of course features. I assume a lot of the cost in the DA220 is the myriad of inputs and outputs, which I can probably do without for the time being.

Anyway, thanks for any replies guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 21
This would interest me also. I'd like to know what DA220 would offer more over DA100. All I can say for now is that DA100 makes me a happy man (and it's very good match for HD650).
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 21
From a physical point of view the DA220 has a 2 transformer power supply, 2 more analog channels to provide balanced output and of course the larger 'standard' footprint.

For single ended use it's probably in the 5% improvement area. For balanced use well... there is only one choice
wink.gif

What would be interesting is if Stello released the HP100 in balanced config in a standard case, ala HP220
tongue.gif
Keeping their existing price ratio that would be a killer $1025 balanced headphone amp in a sweet case.

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 21
well my patience got the better of me
smily_headphones1.gif

one DA100 on the way. ive got a single ended mpx3 slam se coming at me hopefully soon (been over 2 months argh) so i figure no point in getting a balanced dac just yet.

im thinking down the track either a da220 or ecd-1 with a supra/sds xlr when funds allow, but for now i tinhk the da100 will be an interesting stopgap.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 21
Nice! Let us know your impressions when it arrives.

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
From a physical point of view the DA220 has a 2 transformer power supply, 2 more analog channels to provide balanced output and of course the larger 'standard' footprint.

For single ended use it's probably in the 5% improvement area. For balanced use well... there is only one choice
wink.gif

What would be interesting is if Stello released the HP100 in balanced config in a standard case, ala HP220
tongue.gif
Keeping their existing price ratio that would be a killer $1025 balanced headphone amp in a sweet case.

How did you come out with it being a slight improvement in single ended mode only? From your post, it looks like you didn't actually compare them both sonically

If it is, that spells good news for me. I don't have a balance configuration and probablywon't in the next 5 years

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #8 of 21
If you believe what manufacturer tells then there is no improvement between da100 and da220 if you only use unbalanced. There is maybe bit if you compare da100 and da220mk2 (like 5% mentioned earlier).

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
How did you come out with it being a slight improvement in single ended mode only?

The DA100/DA220/DA220MKII all share the same analog stage, dac and power supply. The DA100/DA220 also share the same filter. But on the DA220/DA220MKII everything is doubled up for balanced operation.

So really it comes down to how much gain there is from using separate transformers for the digital and analog sections. I'm putting that gain at 5% totally pulled out of the air from previous experience.

For me it had to be the DA220 since I'm not a fan of undersized components, also wanted a transport, CDT200, and having balanced available increases my options for amps. And since electrical connections to the PC are evil, USB on the MKII wasn't a highlight. Oh and I getting both the CDT200 and DA220 for $1500 didn't hurt
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

For me it had to be the DA220 since I'm not a fan of undersized components...

So size matters after all.
biggrin.gif

For desktop use (like myself) DA100 + HP100 combo is perfectly sized.

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Hard to stack a KGSS on top of the DA100
wink.gif

You can stack DA100 on top of the KGSS!

Just joking, I got your point here.
wink.gif

So there's no one who would've heard both of them?

Oct 10, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

So there's no one who would've heard both of them?

Saturday I'll visit the dutch importer, and be able to listen to all three: DA100, DA220, DA220MKII. My main object will be the MKII, which finally appeared here after a 3-4 month wait (patience....).

For the sake of some of the guys over here (and of course that's myself included) I'll try to compare them all in the limited amount of time available. Don't know where I'll post the info, as I originally promised to post this info in NeoVibe's thread (poll for DA100 a.o.). Given the amount of interest now "the Storm is over" I might also create a separate thread. OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back