Stello DA100 vs Citypulse report
Nov 13, 2006 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

rumatt

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Stello DA100 and a Citypulse 7.2x (without TXCO upgrade), and this describes some conclusions after a day of listening.

BIAS:

I had the Stello first and love it. I love the sound, theb build quality, and fact that it has built-in USB, etc. All off my initial listening impressions had me favoring the DA100, and it was clear that I had no ability to be unbiased. Thus, I did some blind listening.

If you've never done blind listening tests, I highly recommend it. Before the blind testing, I was SURE that I preferred the DA100. Immediately after starting the blind testing it was clear that I was unable to reliably tell the DAC's apart. What's even funnier, is that I would hear a cue that made me think I was listening to one or the other, and I would immediately start to like the one that I thought was the Stello. The mind games are just ridiculous.

BLIND LISTENING SETUP

I ran my computer into my USB sound card that I have setup to be bit-perfect (soundblaster live 24-bit). The SPDIF output goes into a splitter and into both DAC's. The DAC analog outputs got into a passive A-B switch that I have, then directly to my amp. I'm listening with speakers (Paradigm Studio 60's), not headphones.

To achieve double-blind tests, I scrambled the cables when plugging them into the A-B switch so I didn't know which DAC was A and/or B. I had to get up to flip the switch, so I was not doing rapid A-B'ing (which is good anyway because I didn't have level matching). I switched after a whole song, or a group of songs, and took notes while listening.

BLIND LISTENING RESULTS

1) The Stello has more bass. The Citypulse has reasonable bass, so the difference is not noticible unless the song is bass heavy. But on one or two songs, I could reliably identify that the Stello had more bass. While in many cases this was positive, on one song I wrote: "Bass is almost too heavy and I can't hear the vocals as loud as I'd like" for the stello. Note: I had my sub turned off, and my towers go down to about 35 Hz in my room before they drop off (measured with SPL meter), so I was not comparing, or even hearing, deep, deep bass.

2) Other than bass-heavy songs, I could not identify either DAC reliably. There are a few characteristics (described below) that I was more likely to associate with one DAC than the other, but several times when I thought I had it figured out, but I actually had it backwards. It is AMAZING how many factors impact what your brain hears, including the volume, the previous song, your mood, the planets alignment, etc.
In terms of picking a winner, I think I did pick the Citypulse one or two more times than the Stello.

I will do more tests tomorrow and see if I can identify them more reliably. Otherwise, it's just pure noise and I'll sell the Stello and keep the Citypulse because it's cheaper!

EDIT: I removed some of my initial impressions/descriptions of the sound of these dacs, which I am no longer able to replicate. I don't want to mislead folks on the characterizations of these dacs. Further details are later in this thread.

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 36
Are you using the same interconnects on both the DA100 and Citypulse? Some of the differences you are hearing might be interconnect related if you are using different cables.

Oh, as a side note, what A-B switch are you using? I would like to get one myself but I haven't yet been able to find any for sale.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 36
Does the Stello DA100 has a built-in headphone amp, or it is necessary to use an external amp?. Thanks

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortes
Does the Stello DA100 has a built-in headphone amp, or it is necessary to use an external amp?. Thanks

No it doesn't have a built-in headphone amp. I use Stello HP100 pre-/headphoneamp with it and this combo works very well.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

It is AMAZING how many factors impact what your brain hears, including the volume, the previous song, your mood, the planets alignment, etc.

I really commend what you have done. What is amazing is how many people on these and other forums related to sound reproduction solemnly and confidently assert their preferences without with so little sign of doubt, and not taking into account the 'elephant in the room' - their subjectivity, and all the other extraneous elements that can effect one's perception of what are very small or even non-existent differences.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartins
Are you using the same interconnects on both the DA100 and Citypulse? Some of the differences you are hearing might be interconnect related if you are using different cables.

I'm using the same cables for both: Radio Shack Gold.

BUT: I tend to believe that the difference between these DACs is much greater than the difference between interconnects. And if I can't distinguish the DACs, worrying about interconnects seems silly. Then again, I should try to confirm this through blind listening before assuming it's true, right?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Oh, as a side note, what A-B switch are you using? I would like to get one myself but I haven't yet been able to find any for sale.

It's a custom made switch by someone who was selling home made passive-preamps on audiogon. I asked him to make me a passive pre-amp with only two inputs, and ithout the potentiometer... voila, an AB switch. I'll see if he's still making them, and if so, post his info here.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL
What is amazing is how many people on these and other forums related to sound reproduction solemnly and confidently assert their preferences without with so little sign of doubt

Agreed. I bet more than 75% of listening impressions posted on the internet are pure placebo effect.

Several times when listening I was SURE that I heard clear differences between A and B. Then when I did another test a few hours later, I heard those same difference again, but for the other DAC.
blink.gif

So you need not only blind listening, but REPEATED listening sessions. If you aren't able to repeatedly identify the difference across multiple blind listening sessions, then it's pure mind games. It takes forever, and honestly it's a bit frustrating/exhausting if your goal is to quickly identify a "winner". If you take your time and enjoy the music during the AB process, it becomes quite fun.

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 36
Wondering if testing through a set of headphones versus speakers reveals more substantial difference. Nice uncolored amp in the chain will probably help too.

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
BUT: I tend to believe that the difference between these DACs is much greater than the difference between interconnects. And if I can't distinguish the DACs, worrying about interconnects seems silly. Then again, I should try to confirm this through blind listening before assuming it's true, right?
biggrin.gif

I found that I can notice differences between interconnects and digital cables (coaxial) so that set me on a quest for cables of most of the materials available to compare them all. Sometimes I wish I wasn't able to notice these differences. It would be much better for my wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

It's a custom made switch by someone who was selling home made passive-preamps on audiogon. I asked him to make me a passive pre-amp with only two inputs, and ithout the potentiometer... voila, an AB switch. I'll see if he's still making them, and if so, post his info here.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Eventually I'll probably have two different amps/sources so a device like this would be perfect to compare them.

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 36
thanks for the honest and frank review. i have been listening to my da100 for a couple of weeks now and really like it...i've yet to do a real listening impression of the amp and the fact that i got the gs-1 at the same time as the stello makes me question how each actually sounds.

but if the gs-1 is as neutral as many say it is, then i agree that the stello is a warm, very musical amp. even when listening to a new pair of k701, i thought they sounded quite warm and musical, which is unlike most reviews of the k701. together (the da100 and the gs-1), the sound is tight, bass is deep, and detail is very good while remaining warm and inviting as well.

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 36
I compared the DA100 to my old zhaolu and what I could say for sure is that the fatigue with the GS-1 dissappeared and vocals and instruments sounded a lot more realistic, and I just started to really enjoy the music in a way I hadnt before. Anything beyond that, debating bass or peaks etc I cant really comment on, all I know is that I'm enjoying the music a lot more
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Agreed. I bet more than 75% of listening impressions posted on the internet are pure placebo effect.

Several times when listening I was SURE that I heard clear differences between A and B. Then when I did another test a few hours later, I heard those same difference again, but for the other DAC.
blink.gif

So you need not only blind listening, but REPEATED listening sessions. If you aren't able to repeatedly identify the difference across multiple blind listening sessions, then it's pure mind games. It takes forever, and honestly it's a bit frustrating/exhausting if your goal is to quickly identify a "winner". If you take your time and enjoy the music during the AB process, it becomes quite fun.

Hi

Blind testing can be brutally revealing but it is also flawed. You may be able to initially tell the differences between two pieces of equipment w/out fooling yourself. BUT something that is a flaw may initially impress you without merit. If I were you, I would keep both pieces of equipment for now. It is true that one or two NON BLIND listening sessions can never permit one to truly understand the actual character of a given piece of equipment. Kind of like a first date...Even though your eyes are wide open you can easily be deceived. but just like a human relationship, once the other person moves in with you and you spend time together, then the true nature of his or her personality is clear. Right???

This just like your new DAC. Listen to it for a long while first before making any final decisions. Soon, you will be able to understand its sonic character for sure.

BTW folks I was the one to sell Rumratt This Citypulse all went very smooth I am glad he is happy....davi

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs
I compared the DA100 to my old zhaolu and what I could say for sure is that the fatigue with the GS-1 dissappeared and vocals and instruments sounded a lot more realistic, and I just started to really enjoy the music in a way I hadnt before. Anything beyond that, debating bass or peaks etc I cant really comment on, all I know is that I'm enjoying the music a lot more
smily_headphones1.gif

hey there are at least three of us with a da100/gs-1 setup - andrew_wot, alex_cs, and myself...anyone else?

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
How long has the Citypulse been burned in for prior to this test? It has been reported that it need up to 300 hours to smooth out and open up.

Hi.

Since I was the one who sold this Citypulse to Rumratt I will answer your question re burn-in. I had this unit powered up for many days and I would guess that it played music for about 250 hours. So I would think that it is just about burned-in.... davi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back