stello 100 signature vs DacMagic
Jun 24, 2009 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nightrhyme

Head-Fier
Quick question:

Is the stello significantly better than the DacMagic ?
In my country (Denmark) the stello is about 3½ times more expensive

I need input from people who have auditioned both.

I auditioned the DacMagic. Found it good but a little behind my old cd player Arcam 8se. Hence I want more.....
k701smile.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 15
3 1/2 times more expensive is a lot. It's about personal preference. You have to listen to a DAC and come up with your own assessment sometimes. I think if the DacMagic sounded good to you then you should buy it.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 15
The Stello has been compared to the Dac1 and the DacMagic was a FOTM and has come and gone. I love my Stello. Clean sounding, very punchy, and never ever etched. Spend more now and avoid buyers remorse later.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 15
The DACMagic is a fantastic product made even more so by the price. I am very pleased with mine. I have no doubt that you would have to spend at least 3.5 times as much to get something which sounds better and not just different and the filters do work. I prefer minimum phase but I understand why others prefer linear. The sound is dynamic, the background is dead quiet and all frequencies are there in the proper relationship to one another. Moreover, instruments sound just as they should. I do not see how you can go wrong with this component.

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanx for reply

Hmm I guess will audition it myself. However found a comparison of stello 100, 200 and 200 mkII which made me want the 200mkII
confused_face.gif

But that brings the price to another level ..

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrhyme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanx for reply

Hmm I guess will audition it myself. However found a comparison of stello 100, 200 and 200 mkII which made me want the 200mkII
confused_face.gif

But that brings the price to another level ..

IronDreamer used to own both and accordingly to him they are sonically identical.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

The Stello has been compared to the Dac1 and the DacMagic was a FOTM and has come and gone.

Huh? Absolutely not!!! the DACmagic thread is still going strong, infact theres a new one now since the old one went over the limit for total posts (900 posts or something like that), and positive impressions are still coming in on a regular basis. Get your facts straight. I have had mine for a while and absolutely wouldnt trade it for anything under 1000$.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? Absolutely not!!! the DACmagic thread is still going strong, infact theres a new one now since the old one went over the limit for total posts (900 posts or something like that), and positive impressions are still coming in on a regular basis. Get your facts straight. I have had mine for a while and absolutely wouldnt trade it for anything under 1000$.

Why, have you tried everything under 1000 dollars and does that statement include used equipment?

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 15
but still, how is it FOTM if the thread is still going strong and people are still buying and talking about it?

I'd have to say the DacMagic is one of the more popular DACs on this forum

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 15
Dacmagic is good for the price but i was also considering upgrading to the Stello 200mkll or the audio-gd reference. This after CanJam and i heard the differences between my dacmagic and others like the modified PSaudio top of the line, which can be now had/pre modification for under $700. Mods vary. I ended up getting on a preorder list for a Decoder through Cryo-parts, it is a big upgrade, i didn't want to go half way. I am feeding my Dacmagic with the Diverter that i originally got before deciding to upgrade. So i am feeding the Dacmagic with an expensive usb converter.....Dacmagics weak spot is that USB input, it is horrible, the other inputs are muuuuch better. So i am feeding it with a clean digital signal instead. Oh, I am returning the Diverter in that it is incorporated in the Decoder.

As for the lower Sello 100 I would assume it is better from the Stellos I heard at CanJam, how much better i can't say. But for $400. you can't beat the Dacmagic.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stello has been compared to the Dac1 and the DacMagic was a FOTM and has come and gone. I love my Stello. Clean sounding, very punchy, and never ever etched. Spend more now and avoid buyers remorse later.

What's a FOTM? We can't read your mind. "Fire on the mountain"?

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's a FOTM? We can't read your mind. "Fire on the mountain"?

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back