Steinberg’s ASIO 2.1 now supports DSD
Apr 19, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 5
It means there is now PC protocol backing for SACD's DSD bitstream (by Steinberg, no less... the parents of VST protocol). This answers the chicken-or-egg question about bringing DSD to consumers. Now, we just have to wait for hardware, driver, and app support and we'll be playing (authoring?!??) SACD's from our comp's just in time to see HD-DVD/Blu-ray enter the market and push DVD-A/SACD toward obsolescence.

KtoEto, thanks for the FYI! I never thought I'd be finding out about these developments via Head-Fi!! The breadth of this place still amazes me.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektrograf
...Now, we just have to wait for hardware, driver, and app support and we'll be playing (authoring?!??) SACD's from our comp's just in time to see HD-DVD/Blu-ray enter the market and push DVD-A/SACD toward obsolescence....

I wouldn't count on it. Sony has made it very clear that it doesn't intend to ever release an SACD-ROM/SACD-RW drive in the consumer or pro markets (not even their own mastering engineers have them!). And with the complete apathy from the consumer market I don't expect the intense consumer demand which would be the only thing that would make Sony change its mind.

Apr 20, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
I wouldn't count on it. Sony has made it very clear that it doesn't intend to ever release an SACD-ROM/SACD-RW drive in the consumer or pro markets (not even their own mastering engineers have them!). And with the complete apathy from the consumer market I don't expect the intense consumer demand which would be the only thing that would make Sony change its mind.

Exactly my point. Sorry if my sarcasm was a bit too subtle...
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back