Stay with my PC 350 or buy another hp's?
Apr 27, 2012 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

apsol

New Head-Fier
When i bought the Senn PC 350, i was expecting the best of gaming headphones considering the price of it. When i unboxed it and plugged to the pc and listen some music i felt a huge regret. It sounded harsh, no bass, really horrible sound for the price even my old creative hs 450 had a better sound. I felt very bad about it but then I thought I had to do something. I began to investigate possible solutions, this is when I read about a mod that was basically to make holes in the drivers and the sound would improve a lot. With nothing to lose, I did the mod and then tested again to see how the sound was. I have to admit that the sound has changed dramatically for the better course.

I always used it connected to the onboard sound card, SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio, but a few weeks ago i remembered that i had a Soundblaster X-fi gamer on the old pc that was damaged, so i thought it could improve the sound a bit more. I installed on my current pc and yeah there was a difference. But i think im still not satisfied and i always wanted something like cinema theater sound experience in my ears and i think i should buy something better.

I've been searching on the net and the Beyerdynamic DT 770, V-MODA Crossfade M80 or LP and ATH M50 appear to be good choices. I will use it mainly for music (rock, eletronic, pop), movies and mostly for gaming.

Are there significant differences between them, besides the price?

Think it is worth upgrading or i should stay with pc 350 and buy a better soundcard or DAC?

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 20

Quote:
When i bought the Senn PC 350, i was expecting the best of gaming headphones considering the price of it. When i unboxed it and plugged to the pc and listen some music i felt a huge regret. It sounded harsh, no bass, really horrible sound for the price even my old creative hs 450 had a better sound. I felt very bad about it but then I thought I had to do something. I began to investigate possible solutions, this is when I read about a mod that was basically to make holes in the drivers and the sound would improve a lot. With nothing to lose, I did the mod and then tested again to see how the sound was. I have to admit that the sound has changed dramatically for the better course.

I always used it connected to the onboard sound card, SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio, but a few weeks ago i remembered that i had a Soundblaster X-fi gamer on the old pc that was damaged, so i thought it could improve the sound a bit more. I installed on my current pc and yeah there was a difference. But i think im still not satisfied and i always wanted something like cinema theater sound experience in my ears and i think i should buy something better.

I've been searching on the net and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and 880 pro's, V-MODA Crossfade M80 or LP and ATH M50 appear to be good choices. I will use it mainly for music (rock, eletronic, pop), movies and mostly for gaming.

Are there significant differences between them, besides the price?

Think it is worth upgrading or i should stay with pc 350 and buy a better soundcard or DAC?

Thanks.

Lots of differences.  You will probably want to start by looking at the following buying guides and links contained in at least one of them:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Next you should consider re-posting your questions on the Recommendations thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/14340#post_8338137

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 20
Apr 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 20
The Sennheiser PC350 headphones are 150-Ohm, which is a little more demanding for voltage then most mass market headphones.
Most headphones sold in the world are usually 32-Ohm to 65-Ohm.
The Creative T-HD (Titanium HD) does not come with a headphone amplifier, but does a better job of driving headphones compared to previous Creative cards.
250-ohm headphones can work decently with the T-HD and the PC350 are only 150-Ohm.

A cheaper card that should drive the PC350 is the Asus Xonar DG, is a decent gaming card and comes with Dolby Digital, great for movies and some games.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 20
I will prefer to buy new hp's than buy a amp for the pc 350, ok you are much more expert in this area than me of course but next month its my birthday and i want a good gift. by the way im trying to sell some things I have stored to get the money and try to sell the pc 350 to a friend, he really wants to buy a siberia v2 but i will try to convince him to buy mine's, maybe in that time i can get a amp.

The best prices i can find are on Thomann.de that you said is a good store. They have the DT-990 and 770 Pro's, AKG K-601, all for the same price, wich one is better?

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
I will prefer to buy new hp's than buy a amp for the pc 350, ok you are much more expert in this area than me of course but next month its my birthday and i want a good gift. by the way I'm trying to sell some things I have stored to get the money and try to sell the PC 350 to a friend, he really wants to buy a Siberia v2 but i will try to convince him to buy mine's, maybe in that time i can get a amp.
The best prices i can find are on Thomann.de that you said is a good store. They have the DT-990 and 770 Pro's, AKG K-601, all for the same price, which one is better?

Cool, buy new, I was just trying to list options.
The DT990s Pro 250-Ohm (open headphones) are full bass, full treble, nice sound stage,
Vocals are clear, but not as up front as the bass & treble, but they are clear.
DT990 are great "movie theater" sounding headphones.

DT770 Pro 80-Ohm (Closed headphones) are bassy headphones, I think they put a nice thump into audio.
Good all around headphone.
But the DT990 will be better for movies and gaming.

The DT990 & DT770 both need decent headphone amplification to sound their best.

Can't really advice on the AKG K601, but nothing against them, they are 120-Ohm, so I'm assuming they are a little easier to drive then the 250-ohm DT990.

A sound card like the Asus Xonar Essence STX can drive up to 600-Ohm headphones.

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 20
Ok, the DT 990's then but i need to think a little more about. But i want to know one thing, whats the difference between the 2 DT 770 you have, besides the impedance?

About the amp, maybe some Fiio stuff? it will be more useful for me than the STX (wich is more expensive than the hp's) to adjust the volume as the DT 990 doesnt have volume knob like the pc 350.

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Ok, the DT 990's then but I need to think a little more about. But i want to know one thing, whats the difference between the 2 DT 770 you have, besides the impedance?
About the amp, maybe some Fiio stuff? it will be more useful for me than the STX (which is more expensive than the hp's) to adjust the volume as the DT 990 doesn't have volume knob like the PC350.

The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm is a little more bassy, the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm is a little more clarity.
The Fiio E11 will power the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, just retested the combo for the last 5 minutes.

May 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 20
Should i buy the Fiio E11 (more than 50€+shipping taxes) or buy the Xonar DG (for 30€ and its available on a local store) ? Am I gonna notice difference between them? apart from the volume knob which is really handy. I'm undecided if it's worth spending more.

May 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
Should i buy the Fiio E11 (more than 50€+shipping taxes) or buy the Xonar DG (for 30€ and its available on a local store) ? Am I gonna notice difference between them? apart from the volume knob which is really handy. I'm undecided if it's worth spending more.

The Fiio E11 is a better headphone amplifier then the Xonar DG.
But the E11 offers zero gaming features and no surround sound.

Have you check out the Fischer Audio FA-011, it's cheaper then the DT990.
And it's 160-Ohm, would be a little easier for the Xonar DG to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back