Stay warm out there!
Dec 10, 2015 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I just read that it is now -56 degrees Fahrenheit in Oymyakon in Siberia. If anyone lives out there, make sure you bundle up. Don't forget your hat and gloves are a must.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 7
  I just read that it is now -56 degrees Fahrenheit in Oymyakon in Siberia. If anyone lives out there, make sure you bundle up. Don't forget your hat and gloves are a must.

NYC has been an average of 11 degrees F above normal so far this month. More unusually warm weather is expected next week.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 7
In Singapore, the rainy season is upon us.

It is raining almost every afternoon.

It can get quite cold with air-conditioning.

Of course this cannot compare with winter.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Right now according to my weather app, it's -65 degrees F. If anyone is out there, put on an extra shirt.

Wow, it is almost 100 degree F warmer here!  Apparently temps are way above average across the whole of the continental U.S.  Something to do with El Niño they say... they being the people in the know supposedly.

I just googled pictures of Oymyakon and it looks to be a truly cold place to live this time of year.  Stay warm, if that is even possible at -65.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, that part of the continent is always cold in the winter. People who were born there are used to it or at least more used to it than an average Miami guy.

Some things to remember if you decide to move out there:

At that temperature, never wear metal frame glasses because when temperatures are that low, the metal will stick to your skin and can rip it.

You must have all parts of your body covered because you could lose your fingers to frost bite. If you buy one of those North Face coats, it will not work because the material will crack at those temperatures. Traditionally, reindeer skin boots and coats are better and will protect you. But I believe now, there is new technology of synthetic material coats that will not crack. Maybe if you wear an astronaut suit. Kidding aside, you need a better quality coat than the typical North Face.

In those cultures, eating frozen meat is normal. People are used to eating frozen reindeer meat. I mean after all, ice is their life.

When you are out in those temperatures and spit, by the time your spit hits the ground, it's ice.

It can get cold too in the USA in northern Minnesota at -20 degrees or more but not on the level of parts of Siberia.

I will say this. The human body is amazing and can adapt to extremes. We can do it. Even if we have to eat frozen meat and dress like a reindeer.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 7
I remember watching a YouTube video of a lady who lives in Siberia in one of those iced cities and if I remember correctly, she said that her house is well insulated and she can wear normal clothes inside the house.

I think to them when it's zero degrees, it's a nice day to go out for a picnic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back