STAXS SR313+SR404 almost flawless...
Jan 19, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by IanS
Apart from potential current/impedance mismatches, the distortion introduced by any competent amp/source is DWARFED by those curves
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly, cdp's +/- 0.25db will never make 'ultimate killer' phones' +/-2db look remotely small .. no matter how you look at it.

edit - sorry for the off topic.
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
a good headphone suppose not to add anything "extra", but let you hear what's on the recording. dynamic or elektrostat.

Pray tell me - how do you know what is on the recording? How do you know that your :

* source
* cables
* amp
* power supply

and the biggest culprit

* your headphones

are not adding coloration.

Blind faith is something - flawed assumptions are something else...

You are guilty of both.

You blindly believe that the Qualia is better than anything else out there. Probably the price tag convinced you...you could have fooled me with that one.

You also assume that you are hearing your CD when there is approximately a few kilometers of electronic components between your CD player and your ears.

Think again
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #33 of 44
That said - I must agree that the Omega-II did sound veiled in comparison with the Qualia but it was a LOT more musican and more enjoyable overall.

I have HUGE respect for the Stax 404 but I dont have enough experience to decide if it indeed was preferable to the Omega 2...from what I remember - it had more bass...

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
That said - I must agree that the Omega-II did sound veiled in comparison with the Qualia but it was a LOT more musican and more enjoyable overall.

I have HUGE respect for the Stax 404 but I dont have enough experience to decide if it indeed was preferable to the Omega 2...from what I remember - it had more bass...

The 404 and the Omega II have a different tonal balance. If you enjoy a more aggressive sound, the 404 may be more suitable for you. However, the 404 isn't quite as capable.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Pray tell me - how do you know what is on the recording? How do you know that your :

* source
* cables
* amp
* power supply

and the biggest culprit

* your headphones

are not adding coloration.

Blind faith is something - flawed assumptions are something else...

You are guilty of both.

You blindly believe that the Qualia is better than anything else out there. Probably the price tag convinced you...you could have fooled me with that one.

You also assume that you are hearing your CD when there is approximately a few kilometers of electronic components between your CD player and your ears.

Think again
wink.gif

i know you know it all better then anyone else. thanks.(reading alot of your posts on headfi).
eggosmile.gif

if i think the qualia is the best headphone, i do so!

if you don't, i don't care!
eggosmile.gif
just buy what you like.

i know how to take you with a grain of salt.
wink.gif

(20 years of listening and comparisson experience; i know where to listen for and what I like, thank you.)

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #37 of 44
It sounds like Larry might be making a recabled woody SR404... if that happens, my wallet is as good as dead.
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Only one grain?? I am disappointed in you...

Wanna borrow my shaker?

k-jean-jadsalt.jpg

biggrin.gif

LOL.
eggosmile.gif

I have even a bigger salt shaker though.
rolleyes.gif
eggosmile.gif

we just should respect eachothers tasts, that's all.
eggosmile.gif

there are roughly two camps:

detailed and musical. sometimes these two are hard to combine.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline

I agree.

The point I did not agree with was your claims of "Neutrality" and "listening to the recording"

All I wanted to point out was that this is impossible from a scieitific point of view.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

I agree.

The point I did not agree with was your claims of "Neutrality" and "listening to the recording"

All I wanted to point out was that this is impossible from a scieitific point of view.

i agree.

but some are said to be more neutral then other gear. on some gear you hear more details then with other gear, hence they call it more neutral.

some would even call it "closer" to the recording.

some people call all this bull****.
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

you know, alot of high end companies spend lots of money to find the holy grail: combining lots of details with musicallity. some think sony succeeded with the qualia.
wink.gif

usually equipment is musical but lacks a bit of detail or it is very detailed but lacks a bit of musicallity(this was the most heard complaint about some high end amps).

all in all we are not that far apart from eachother.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #41 of 44
Neutral doesn't mean Super detailed, Super detailed means super detailed.
Musical doesn't mean warm and lush and non detailed.

Neutral means that every recording sounds different, by that I mean not everything sounds forward or has lots of bass or is bright, etc but rather each recording sounds like it's suppose to (recordings without lots of bass sound lean and thin, bad recordings sound bad, great recording sound great). Neutral means that each instrument sounds like it does in real life and so do the vocals.

Neutral = Musical

cool.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #42 of 44
*applause*

Fine post KR.
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #44 of 44
That's odd. I tend to think that the 404 smooths out everything too much, leading to a lack of impact and rawness (that's needed on some music). In that sense, they do make alot of music sound similar. On the other hand, they sound fantastic with jazzy female vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back