Stax?
Dec 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ajm

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking around the forum about entry level stax systems. Some people say once you hear an electrostsic you can't go back. So after looking around I have seen for sale stax sr 3, 5 and 40. The 3 comes with the srd 5 energiser. The sr5 is 250 and doesnt come with an energiser. The sr40 comes with srd 4 energiser. I am leaning towards the sr 3 because its in excellent condition. Are any of these good choices? I want a cheap entry to electrostatics is possible. What are these worth roughly?

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 16
The SR-40 is an electret. Don't expect performance on par with their true electrostatic brethren that need an external bias voltage.

If they don't cost too much, though, the electrets might give a good impression of the 'stat sound in general. Can't say for sure because I started with a Lambda (albeit rebuilt drivers) and an SRD-7/SB.

I probably wouldn't go above $150 for the SR-3, SR-5, or SR-X variants. Not that you'll find many eBay listings for those at that price, but I figure that at the $250 mark, it's time to start considering vintage SR-Lambda models.

If you have trouble finding a Lambda with driver unit for $250-300 right now, just wait a bit. Good deals are bound to show up sooner or later. (Probably as soon as I get my SR-202 and SRM-212. I don't need two Lambda systems...)

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 16
Ah, forgot to clarify: those prices should indeed include an energizer/transformer box (SRD series). Of course, that still leaves a hidden cost in the speaker amp you'll need to feed said transformer box, but it sounds like you already have one.

A direct-drive amp (SRM series) would be nice, but most of those cost as much as the headphones themselves, if not more. That will have to wait until later.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 16
i might add there are electrostatic headphones other than stax. there are even: dare i say on this forum :wink:  speakers that are electrostatic; magnepan comes to mind. they are like headphones that you put in your listening room. < attempt at humor.
the problem with vintage equipment in general, condition, age and warranty can be by passed by going directly to the new entry level stax. i know it's a bit more money. hunting on ebay can be addicting which partly explains why some of the items go for insane amounts. just a thought.
there is a reason that stax have the "rep" they do and some of it can be found in thier early models.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 16
I know there are electrostatic speakers like magnepan. I have a pair and I love them. What other brands other than stax can I be looking at for a reasonable price?

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 16
Magnapen make magnetostatic speakers, not stats.

lambda is an entire family of them but If you mean the original lambda, a "reasonable maximum" (whatever that really means) would be around 400$ IMO.

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I know there are electrostatic speakers like magnepan. I have a pair and I love them. What other brands other than stax can I be looking at for a reasonable price?

just wondering, which magnepans?

Amar thank you for correcting me, you know most people planar speakers; "ya know the flat ones"
stats or otherwise, operating principals are almost the same. even stax calls the electret a "type of electrostatic earspeaker"

Ajm
Akg makes a hybrid
Koss has a few models. esp9, 10 and the 950 which is still being made
many older "electrostatic" are actually stax, based on the sr3

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for all the repsonses and I own a pair of Magnepan SMG's the original. I have 2 small polk subs with the setup and I love it. Unfortunately the speakers and set up is back at home and I moved for college so I need a better headphone setup. I am also thinking getting something similar to the thunderpants... So hard to decide when you can't listen to it before you buy.

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for all the repsonses and I own a pair of Magnepan SMG's the original. I have 2 small polk subs with the setup and I love it. Unfortunately the speakers and set up is back at home and I moved for college so I need a better headphone setup. I am also thinking getting something similar to the thunderpants... So hard to decide when you can't listen to it before you buy.

i'm not sure if i should say amen or hell yeah!

i'm sure that in a dorm there must be headphones you can audition, you might have to go knocking on doors or ask around.
if you do get a stax setup, even used, you can almost guarantee that you'll get your money back if you decide to resell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back