Stax Systems
Jul 21, 2005 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

razer

500+ Head-Fier
Recently, I've been contemplating.....Contemplating on whether should I just save on to get the Omega 2 system which costs like $4500 USD or the 4040 System which is alot more wallet friendly at a price of $1750 USD....I live in a country where the price for stax is sky high....Of course, I get two years warranty from the store and things like that...Will I get that much more performance that's worth the extra $2750 ? Argh....I'am stuck, stuck, stuck........Help me....And SCREW YOU HEADFI!
icon10.gif
confused.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 23
Have you looked at audiocubes.com. They have the Omega II for less.

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 23
getting the headphone and amplifier separately is another option. there are plenty of manufacturers other than STAX that make electrostatic amplifiers.

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 23
I read it. the 313 and 404 combo is around $1100 USD here....And audiocube only accepts US credit cards...

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 23
I was faced with this exact same decision a month or two ago and I had the financial resources to go in either direction. Finally, after reading as many posts/reviews as I could find as well as chatting with current owners, I elected to purchase the SR-404/SR-313 combination (from Koji at EIFL). My biggest worry had been the bass response which many writers suggested was a weakness in electrostatics and especially the SR-404. My experience, as well as many other SR-404 owners in this forum, does NOT corroborate what a few have reported (the rumor just won't die). I find the bass to be rich, deep, tight, extended, full, lush, and even impactful. As a drummer, I am extra sensitive to the punch of the kick drum and I get plenty of impact from these SR-404's, even more so than my HD-650's.

Since purchasing this STAX system, I have had ZERO regrets about the Omega II; in fact, I am no longer craving any other headphone. I believe that I have now attained a kind of state-of-the-art aural experience with this STAX rig and there is simply no sonic feature or quality that I feel is missing or lacking. Now that I understand how the SR-404 performs in the bass department, I wouldn't want more, which is the most often quoted strength of the Omega II vis-a-vis its siblings. Similarly, the treble extension on the SR-404 is wonderful and I wouldn't want less, which the Omega II's are supposed to offer.

So, for me, the STAX SR-404 delivers every sonic characteristic I want in a headphone. My only solitary gripe is the itchy/scratchy foam liner inside the earphone housing. After 30 minutes or so, I literally have to remove the headphones and rub my ears! One of these days (like this weekend maybe), I'm going to pull the pleather rests off and replace those brillo pads with something soft and luxurious (satin?). I've just been reluctant to mess with near perfection. I would hate to ruin the sonic qualities by changing that inner lining. If I knew what function it performed (e.g. dust/hair trap?), it would help suggest alternatives that are easier on the skin than burlap or whatever that coarse material is...

KenB

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 23
It is faster to hit the top if you go the electrostatic route. Fewer options...fewer combos...

The sound is magnificent. The best headphones are electrostatic (HE-90) and the rest are right up there with the best.

I recommend getting a Stax headphone with a KGSS...and a Sennheiser headphone with a Stax amp
smily_headphones1.gif
weird innit? Good luck finding the senn electrostats.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 23
i would say you should stick to the 404s and either an 006t (an amp that gets way to little love on this board) or get a kgss which will really be the best match for them. either way the 404s will save you money and youll be getting 90% of the performance of the omegas, from my point of view and others i have talked to that wish they would have just saved the money and stayed with the 404s.

Jul 22, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 23
Totally agree with whatever KenB mentioned there.

I still can't understand why some people complained about the bass of STAX (404 in particular). I assume maybe there was one or two hardcore bassheads mentioned that, and everyone was sort of repeating what they read? Or maybe some people are just too used to muddy bass.

Anyway, I have some Telarc Jazz with plenty of drum solos, all I can say is, if it doesn't sound like drums, I don't know what is.

fyrfytrhoges: the 006T is a bit overpriced IMO, plus I don't really need the additional feature the 006T provides.

Overall, I wouldn't want a better setup than 404/313 unless I had a high-end CDP to go with it.

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
what is the additional feature the 006 has?

The extra output and the XLR input (with 2 inputs switching button)

Which I don't need.

It also has the "wallet-thinning" feature all over it.
icon10.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 23
Does anybody know how the SRM-313 compares with the SRM-006t, for driving the SR-404? There's been a lot of talk about the 404/313 combo in recent months, so it's quite clear that a lot of people like that one, but I'd really like to hear opinions from people who've compared the two amps...

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 23
the sr404 package is very nice & a whole lot less money that than the glorious omega II. audiocubes is criminally expensive. if you want new, try eifl or scan the for sale borad for a used 404 or 313 package. nice stuff. the 313/solid state amp is a deal. the 006t amp is wonderful with the 404. i get the model numbers confused but got to eifle.co.jp & check their prices & packages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back