Stax SRS-3100 or LCD-X
Jan 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

masolski

New Head-Fier
Hello folks!

What would you recommend for a jazz lover. I used to have HD600 with ifi nano DSD but now upgrading. Basically I can get Stax SRS-3100 system or LCD-X for very similar price. I would need to get decent DAC/AMP combo for LCD-X which would make it more expensive. Which one offers more refined sound? Are those entry-level Stax really that good to compete with Audeze in terms of mids and treble?

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 7
I owned both and much prefer the STAX SR-L300. The LCD-X, like most planar magnetic headphones, has a big, beautiful, lush sound, but it comes off to me as rounded-off and smoothed-over. To my ears, STAX (I had four STAX systems) sound more transparent, fast, neutral, resolving, musical, etc.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks a lot!
I usually have quite long listening sessions and it's also about comfort. STAX are much lighter. Two more questions for L300 owner :) Did you have any issues with dust? Apparently it can be a problem for electrostats. Did you need to change pads or get spacers? I've read that for some people there's pads are too shallow.

Jan 8, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 7
The SR-L300 has more clamping force, but is otherwise very light, as you mentioned. The pads are indeed shallow, which can be potentially uncomfortable. Some have resorted to various measures to swap the pads, whether it's the SR-L700 pads or more common pads. I only used the stock pads. Never had issues with dust. (There's a dust cover inside.)

The LCD-X is much heavier and can put strain on your neck and/or back, but has huge pads. Mine had a suspension mechanism to improve comfort.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 7
If you want a real window into music go for L300. It is very light, you will not feel it at your head.The pad yes is very shallow. I got the pads of L700 and it is fine.

once I got the L300 as an entry to electorstat world, I am selling now my LCD3F to purchase the Stax SR-009

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 7
The pad yes is very shallow. I got the pads of L700 and it is fine
Hi! Did the L700 pads change the sound of the L300? If so, how? Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back