Stax SRS-3000 Impressions
Aug 4, 2008 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

graben

100+ Head-Fier
After selling my Stax 2050A system because I thought they cost too much and I didn't use them enough, I made it a whole 3 days without buying a new Stax system.
wink.gif

This system was only about 91 dollars more than the 2050A with a headphone stand so I decided to upgrade.

The SRM-300 gives some needed base compared to the SRM-252A. This bass increase is the most easily noticed. Compared to an HD650 the 2050A's bass was a bit lacking for me, but the SRM-300 brought up the amount to a level I didn't feel lacking at all. Detail, separation, and sound stage also sound better, but not that huge a difference.

8/5/08 EDIT
Power is also increased over the SRM-252, with the Boa and SRM-252A both at 95% volume it was loud but I wanted it to be louder. The SRM-300 is able to obtain this volume at 2 O'clock only. These sound great at any volume while the SRM-252A needed to be louder to sound it's best.

I also plugged a SR-303 into the SRM-300 and could not tell them apart from a SR-202. I really think the amp is the limiting factor for the SR-202 and they perform great. Unfortunately I didn't think to try the SR-202 into a higher grade Driver unit. I guess I have a reason to go back to the store now.
lambda.gif

Once you go Stax you really can never go back to Dynamics.

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by graben /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well said!
biggrin.gif

Nice to see some impressions about the SRM-300. Its more or less forgotten in Stax lineup...

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 9
I have loads of electrostatics, but can still enjoy a dynamic headphone here and there (APS V3 re-cabled Edition 9 and RS-1, HD600 balanced, etc).
tongue.gif

I do owe it to myself to try out the current production Lambdas, since all I have are vintage models. I have read some people commenting that the SR-202 are less etched and smoother than the 303/404. It's interesting that you find the 202 and 303 to sound the same via the SRM-300. Makes me wonder how good does the amp need to be before one can here the difference between the 202 and 303?

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have loads of electrostatics, but can still enjoy a dynamic headphone here and there (APS V3 re-cabled Edition 9 and RS-1, HD600 balanced, etc).
tongue.gif

I do owe it to myself to try out the current production Lambdas, since all I have are vintage models. I have read some people commenting that the SR-202 are less etched and smoother than the 303/404. It's interesting that you find the 202 and 303 to sound the same via the SRM-300. Makes me wonder how good does the amp need to be before one can here the difference between the 202 and 303?

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

With stats, the better the amp... the better...
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by graben /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll remember that, whenever I'll bite the bullet

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll remember that, whenever I'll bite the bullet

I wouldn't say this is completely true, Ive had no urge to get rid of my Darkvoice 336 even though my Nuforce Icon also drives my HD650s and SR225s well. My Stax Lambdas feel like a Porsche, everything seems balanced, controlled, technically perfect, but its missing something. I dont think ill ever get tired of the sound signature or confident laid-back style of the Senns or the brute nature of the Grados.

I feel like my Lambdas are signature-less (pun intended?), listening to them I cant imagine audio being more controlled or better detailed, but they are definitely a bit cold. I couldn't listen to my my Lambdas for as long a stretch as my Senns.

That being said, the Stax blow my mind every time I put them on, something that my Senns fail to do. o2smile:

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 9
The sr-202 seems to do more with less. It has less exension and detail,
yet conveys music perhaps better than the sr-404's.
I've been swapping back and forth with both pairs on a SRM-313 until my
SRM-1/mkII arrives. I'll see which one sounds better then!

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 9
spritzer mentioned in a FS thread that he vastly prefers the SRM-1/MK-2 Pro amp to any of the 3- series (SRM-3, 313 and 323), so perhaps the amp does make a good difference even with these budget STAX models?

I found it interesting that the guy from this site mentions that SR-303 and SR-404 sound virtually the same from either the SRM-212 or SRM-313.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back