STAX SRS-2050a - A new journey
Jan 16, 2008 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hekoman

100+ Head-Fier
I have been a member of this forum for about 2.5 years now. In that time I have listened to more nice headphones that I would have ever thought have existed before I came here. During that time the one thing that always eluded me was electrostatics. I would always see people posting about the SR-007's and the SR-404's and I looked at their prices and thought that I could never afford a pair of good STAX. So I just wrote them off into the group such as the Orpheus, the K1000, and the R10 as cans that I would never get a chance to own.

Every Dynamic headphone that I have ever listened to (with the exception of the K1000) always sounded like something was missing. With the MS-1's and the MS-2i's everything sounded all muddled together, just not enough headstage. With the HD600's, there was plenty of detail and soundstage, but they just sounded boring to me. They were not very engaging, and I just don't see the point of listening to something that is boring.

Enter the SR-202's. I recently graduated college and I came into a little bit of money. So I figured I would splurge and get something expensive for myself. I looked around and noticed the SRS-2050a. I never realized that there were so inexpensive considering what you get in the package. So I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair from PriceJapan.

The moment I pulled them out of the DHL box I was instantly impressed. Photos just do not do the Lambda series headphones justice. To the average person they may look kinda stupid when you are wearing them (and they really kinda do) but the build quality, the size, the supple leather pads, just everything about them is leagues ahead of all the other headphones that I have owned. And then I plugged them into their amp, and put them on my head...

These can are everything that I have always wanted in a pair of headphones. The detail is amazing, perfect bass, and everything in between is just as good. I was always under the impression that neutralness was boring, but boy was I ever wrong. Everything is just done so right with these headphones.

I think what surprises me the most about the SR-202's is the sheer amount of detail that they have. It is like I can hear every guitar string being strummed, every drum beat, just about every instrument that is being played, and I can tell every one of them apart. It took me a little while to really get used to it. I keep finding myself focusing on one instrument and just ignoring the rest of the music. I can follow it all the way through the song if I feel like. The detail just blows my mind.

This huge amount of detail is what I think really helps create the awesome soundstage that these headphones have. In some of my better recorded songs, it just seems like the sound goes on forever. Each instrument having there own place in the headstage. And non of them ever getting in the way of any of the rest of them.

One of the things that scared me a little was that I heard that electrostatics could be a little bass lean. I don't think I that statement could be any more wrong for these headphones. There is just the right amount of bass. It is just so perfectly articulated. I really think these cans have so much deeper bass than almost anything that I have ever heard out of a headphone. I also heard that these can can lack some of the slam that a lot of the better dynamic headphones have. Now they may be lacking a little compared to the more bass monster headphones, but that is not to say the are devoid of impact. I think it is just right, it does not get in the way of anything, but it still impact nonetheless.

I have finally found where I was meant to be in the Head-Fi world. I just don't think I can ever go back to dynamics as my main headphone ever again. Now this is not to say that I am done with Head-Fi. I feel like I am just getting started all over again. I have found a whole new world of cans to explore. This one will just take me a lot longer to explore due to me still being a poor recent college grad. Next stop, vintage STAX.

Now time for Pics:
img2201ex8.jpg

img2212xx8.jpg

img2208jg7.jpg

img2206ru1.jpg

img2219xt7.jpg

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 13
o man i already miss my srs-2050a system!! i sold it about a month ago...... but i really want to get back to electrostatics... theres just something about them! glad you enjoy them! i am definitely going to get myself another stax someday, soon!

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 13
Great review & pics.

I'm hoping to get my first stax in the next month or so. I had thought about going for the SRM 3050 system, but im not sure if my CDP would be up to the job of doing them justice, so i'm more or less decided on going for the same as you.

Its just a pity they changed the faceplate on the new 252 driver unit to silver, i think it looked a lot better all black on the old 212 unit.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 13
Have you heard K701 before? do you consider 2050a is an upgrade over that cans or downgrade?

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hekoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was always under the impression that neutralness was boring, but boy was I ever wrong.

Neutrality isn't boring. Lack of dynamic range is boring. A lot of people hear an analytical sound and think "well this is too accurate, I want something more fun sounding" but that analytical sound isn't accuracy - it's a coloration caused by insufficient dynamic range and desaturated tone color. Which a lot of systems will have.

I'm glad you found something you like. Treasure it, since it took me three years on head-fi to find a main rig I like, and I'm not alone.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 13
I would like to welcome you to the world of electrostatic headphones!
biggrin.gif

Its certainly a nice place to stay..

Nice write-up and pictures as well.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 13
New Slogan for STAX advertising,

"STAX, so good even the Amish are allowed to use them!"

I'm just kidding.

The Amish can't use them yet.

Seriously though, when you say " To the average person they may look kinda stupid when you are wearing them (and they really kinda do) " I wouldn't worry about it. Your head is big enough that the STAX don't look funny on you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh I'm on a roll, but I don't mean to tease you.
biggrin.gif
I am very happy for you, so much that I'm a little giddy. I discovered STAX when a head-fi'er felt sorry that I had none and he had many, and sold me his vintage SR-Lambda/SRD-X 1/4" for $230! I loved them hooked up with the 1/4" plug to my DarkVoice 336i tube amp. That is the Price everyone says is about right, but I think Head-fi has made them in higher demand, and prices are going up. The SR-Lambda and SR-Lambda Signature are the two highest demand Lambdas - with the Lambda Nova classic and Lambda Nova Signature and then Lambda Pro following that. There are several for sale here, and I have dealt with abs@nilenet.com who is selling some, and mapstec who is selling some. Both sellers are highly recommended.

My next vintage purchase, SR-Lambda Signature and SRM-1 Mk2 driver were closer to $1000 ($630 cash + Triple.fi 10 Pro + ER6i). I am told the only thing that sounds better than this is the SR-007 with a high end amplifier. I already have the SRM-1 Mk2 which will drive low and high bias Electrostats, and it is great. I am told the non-pro SRM-1 goes for <$300, and the Mk2 for <$500. I have seen both versions go for the same $400, but they are hard to find. My Lambda Sigs will be here next week, so I'll let you know what I think.

I did have some Gamma Pro for a few days and they are very nice, but lack a little of the high end and low end extension of my SR-Lambdas but with a tiny bit of sibilance added, and they were $300 without a driver (used my SRM-1 Mk2). I sold them to fund my SR-Lambda Signatures, but I still felt they were comparable to an HD600 with a little less bass and a little more speed (but not as comfortable because the ear-cups were smaller than my HFI700).

So, what is the SR-44 in your sig? Did you mean SR-404, as I have heard of SR-30 and SR-40 Electret but not a SR-44?

Good luck in your Journey!

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard K701 before? do you consider 2050a is an upgrade over that cans or downgrade?

I have honestly never listened to K701's. I have listened to the K601's and I was not impressed by them. They soundstage sounded really fake and exaggerated. They just did not sound normal to me. I am not sure of how K701's and the K601's compare but the K701's are a pair of headphones that I have been meaning to try for a while now and just have not gotten around to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what is the SR-44 in your sig? Did you mean SR-404, as I have heard of SR-30 and SR-40 Electret but not a SR-44?
Good luck in your Journey!

As the about poster stated its the SRD-4 and the SR-40's. I have had them for a while now and I am very impressed by their detail, I think it is even close to what the SR-202's can do, but the problem is that they have NO soundstage. It is all right there on you head, they are interesting to listen to but they are very fatiguing. And not to mention that they really are not that comfortable at all, maybe I just need new pads for them

And if you look really close in the last picture you can see the SR-40's sitting on top of my TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back