Stax SRS-005
Dec 3, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 6
These (the SR-003) are the same headphone as SR-001mk2 but with the standard plug so it can be used with normal Stax Amps. In the SRS-005 system it comes with the SRM-212 amp. There have been many comparisons of its baby brother, the SR-001mk2, to the Ety ER4 series, so if you do a search you will find the info you are looking for. One person (edstrelow) has compared the SR-001 with its portable amp to the SR-003 with a non-portable amp and found that the differences weren't that great, so the comparisons of the Etys with the SR-001mk2 should give you a pretty good idea of what Ety vs. SRS-005 would be like.

I have the SRS-005 and absolutely love them. I've also heard the Etys briefly (10 minutes) and loved them too. Sorry I can't give you a better comparison than that. The SRS-005 don't isolate very much, perhaps slightly more than a standard earbud. I find them quite comfortable, others may not. I don't find the treble rolled off as has been stated in reviews of SR-001mk2, but I'm not a huge fan of "detailed" treble heavy headphones. However, I love the SR-404 which some people call bright, so go figure.

I will say that I've never heard guitars sound better than on my SRS-005 system, and that like other electrostats it separates the instruments extremely well and never sounds congested in music with gobs of instruments. It may be the fastest headphone out there with such a miniscule moving mass. For me it has what some refer to as the "magic" of electrostats, and at a very attractive price.

Hope this helps!

Dec 3, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 6
I have the SR-001, and I think they are the best. I agree that the rolled off treble isn't as bad as everyone has been saying. I think these are not as bright as the other Staxes because of the light high end treble. I think they are very comfy. I have to use them with the headband, I can't see how they could stay in someones ears without it. These things are first and foremost the fastest things I have ever heard. Guitar transients are quick and solid, with abrubt end to the notes, but very good decay. The bass has a feeling unlike all other headphones. You can feel and hear it, with no tubbyness or boomyness. I did not like the ER4, I thought they sounded awesome but were unbearably bright. I didn't hear the bass everyone was talking about on the ER4. I think the SR-011 is up there with the E5's. I got the Stax about a week after hearing the E5's, and i definitely like the Stax better. E5's were my fav, but the price keeps me far away. I would like to do a comparison at the next Chitown meet. The Stax is so uncolored and so real. It has a different sound then any driver ever could. I got them for $115 in the "for sale" forum here, they are available, and are very affordable. I have a maxed meta I use w/ D77s, and the stax setup is what I always want to hear nowadays. I for one am a new team Stax member.

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 6
The Stax SRS-005s MKII is actually a very decent system compared with other IEMs. With its semi-open structure, there is a certain degree of soundstage presentation. The treble and the midrange are rendered very nicely like a decent headphone. However, perhaps it's due to its electrostatic nature, the bass is not powerful enough and I suppose it can be further enhanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back