stax srm007A vs srm727a vs srm-600
Oct 26, 2009 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Among these 3 stax amps , which one, in your opinion, sounds the most decent for the stax omega mkII? The 1st two are not really well praised and the last one is unheard by many people. These 3 amps are more easily avaliable for me than others.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 7
I will point out the obvious...go with the best for the O2. The SRM-717! The SRM-717 would still be around if STAX hadn't been forced to pull it out of production due to a design infringement issue. This forced it to be pulled from production and replaced with the completely different 727 (still very good but no 717).

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will point out the obvious...go with the best for the O2. The SRM-717! The SRM-717 would still be around if STAX hadn't been forced to pull it out of production due to a design infringement issue. This forced it to be pulled from production and replaced with the completely different 727 (still very good but no 717).

What if I get a used pair and there is no aftersales service?

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 7
I agree with Dinan.
These are generally very reliable and well-built but if there is any problem the gurus can help in the Stax thread.
With the 717 the only 'common' problem is that it sometimes blows a fuse for unknown reasons but that is a very cheap and easy fix. Also if the amp 'thinks' that there is a problem somewhere in the system it will shut itself down (happened with my friend's amp too but it's nothing serious).

Among these three amps, neither is really an optimal choice for the Omega II. If you want something new (with warranty), the HeadAmp KGSS is probably better than either of those three Stax amps.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 7
I just wanted to clarify that the 300$ is just for the parts needed to make the amp, add more for chassis, switches, connectors, wire (600v rated at least) and the volume control solution. 5-600$ should do it but you can spend more with a fancy stepped attenuator or the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back