STAX SRM-D10 Portable Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier / DAC
Jan 2, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 130
Thanks for the info.

Battery life is always less than claimed . . . for every single portable device I own!!!

I ordered one and expect to receive it in about 2 weeks. I will post my impressions shortly thereafter.

Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 130
hello,
received mine last week with the 009s. Been listening to AMP and DAC functions for about 40 hrs. yes the sound is a bit harsh and the amp is easy to clip the bass.
IMG_0115.jpg

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 130
Been two months listening to the D10 and the 009s. Guess its broken-in by now after listening for several hours/day.
The D10 volume control setting seems log tapered as 1/2 way and beyond adds only the top most 3db.
In contrast the sony ta zh1es that shows the range more linearly via a db indicator. ( I have switched to the analog ip of the D10).
Sound is naturally logarithmic and noticeable is the change in loudness (as F.M.curves c1933 latest ISO 226:2003 ).

For high {enough} input levels the 1/3 position level reveals a full sounding spectrum. At the 1/2 position the device seems to make the 009s sound bright.
the micro dynamics are clearly evident with the expanse of space between music. The sound field increases with added volume control setting as the power bandwidth decreases.
Weather it is the loudness effect or the D10's power bandwidth, the stax 009s clearly reveals the natural frequency response changes in loudness. obvious ikw.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 130
The quality of the d10 is very very high if used with a great source.
Internal dac is good, but added a Hugo2, the sound is more rich and transparent.

i used the sony ta 1z audio out as well as the audio from the wallkman. its the amps limitations i can hear.
in the form of siblance and congestion. the better dac gives it less of that to amplify. just like the input tubes in the srm t8000do..

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #13 of 130
the d10 amplifies my 009bk perfectly, I do not need more power, I have a sound rich in details and nuances from hugo2 using good AudioQuest cables.
The result is worse with its internal dac, it is more congested and with lower, but the mid-range loses details and clarity.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 130
the d10 amplifies my 009bk perfectly, I do not need more power, I have a sound rich in details and nuances from hugo2 using good AudioQuest cables.
The result is worse with its internal dac, it is more congested and with lower, but the mid-range loses details and clarity.
the larger ‘amp’ offers more space for the music to spring from. to me, thats what its sounds like when volume matched.
the subtle details appear out of, well, thin air and then vanish. or so ive trained mybrain/ears to beleive.
also the ip stage tube in my t8000 darkens the bright top end (d10) improving my contrast sensitivity.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #15 of 130
I do not know the t8000 but Kevin Gilmore advised against playing with the valves. I also have a kgss Carbon that has detail, dynamics and silence, but the D10, in smaller proportion, defends very well, the volume is at 12 and only with some dsd I go a little bit further

Users who are viewing this thread

Back