STAX SRM-717 Help
Oct 11, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #16 of 21
Just got done modding my 717 this afternoon. It now has Cardas RCA jacks in addition to the Neutrik XLRs and a pair of high quality DPST toggle switches for input switching that are mounted in place of the second set of RCA jacks. Also did a rewire with TARA Labs RSC wire.

The end result looks factory and considerable improved the sound as the stock wiring is nothing special and routs the signal through the unnecessary XLR/RCA bridging switch on the back panel and an unneeded circuit board with cheap jumpers. I'm really not sure what they were thinking when they conceived this setup instead of doing a proper set of toggles to switch between XLR and RCA inputs but I guess they are entitled to one mistake.

I ran out of time but I intend to go back in and remove the "bypass" switch for the volume control as running the signal through this cheap switch and the associated jumpers also can't be helping the sound.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got done modding my 717 this afternoon. It now has Cardas RCA jacks in addition to the Neutrik XLRs and a pair of high quality DPDT toggle switches for input switching that are mounted in place of the second set of RCA jacks. Also did a rewire with TARA Labs RSC wire.

The end result looks factory and considerable improved the sound as the stock wiring is nothing special and routs the signal through the unnecessary XLR/RCA bridging switch on the back panel and an unneeded circuit board with cheap jumpers. I'm really not sure what they were thinking when they conceived this setup instead of doing a proper set of toggles to switch between XLR and RCA inputs but I guess they are entitled to one mistake.

I ran out of time but I intend to go back in and remove the "bypass" switch for the volume control as running the signal through this cheap switch and the associated jumpers also can't be helping the sound.

I would sure like to get more detail here. Do you have any photos of what you did?

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 21
Sorry no pics. Just imagine a pair of large DPST toggle switches (1 per channel) inserted through the holes where the first set of RCA jacks was and then the second set of paralleled RCA jacks replaced with Cardas jacks. Everything fits right in with no grinding or drilling. The toggles flip from left to right so wen they are point towards the XLR you have that input, and the opposite for the RCA input. I hardwired everything and put the factory RCA/XLR grounding switch back in even though it is disabled as it looks better than an empty hole.

The sound is better across the board as you would expect from a wiring and jack upgrade as it doesn't tend to favor and single area.

Functionality is excellent as you can switch the inputs live with no tick or pop.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry no pics. Just imagine a pair of large DPDT toggle switches (1 per channel) inserted through the holes where the first set of RCA jacks was and then the second set of paralleled RCA jacks replaced with Cardas jacks. Everything fits right in with no grinding or drilling. The toggles flip from left to right so wen they are point towards the XLR you have that input, and the opposite for the RCA input. I hardwired everything and put the factory RCA/XLR grounding switch back in even though it is disabled as it looks better than an empty hole.

The sound is better across the board as you would expect from a wiring and jack upgrade as it doesn't tend to favor and single area.

Functionality is excellent as you can switch the inputs live with no tick or pop.

Thanks, this looks like a useful mod of the 717, whether or not you need the balanced inputs. Yyou also mentioned getting rid of a circuit board. Is this pretty obvious?

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, this looks like a useful mod of the 717, whether or not you need the balanced inputs. Yyou also mentioned getting rid of a circuit board. Is this pretty obvious?

Yes, the stock jacks are mounted to 2 different boards that contain the jacks and some jumpers. It is all vary obvious. You will need electronics knowledge to make the mod. When switched to the balanced inputs, you are passing the signal straight through. When switched to RCA, the center pin goes to the + input on the amp stage, the - side gets bridged to ground, and the ground stays the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back