Stax SRM-313 mods
Jan 13, 2007 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dcfis

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone upgraded the RCA plugs on the Stax amps? Im afraid they will be comprimised with use and want to know if anyone provides this service or has done it?

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 7
I upgraded mine...had a guy at work do it (he had a soldering iron). I did it to mine because the stock RCA's came off (the metal part came apart from the plastic...attached to my RCA cables).

It's a tad confusing because the stock connectors are all (all 4) on a piece of plastic. When you replace, you need to simulate the plastic piece with individual RCA plugs...making sure the little resistors they have in there go in the right places.

I didn't notice any big change in the sound or anything, but I'm happy to have my amp working again.

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Yea them coming off is my concern, they are crappy but seeminly an easy fix. So there are resistors on the plastic support? Is that for the parallel nature of the dual RCA jacks? Also I assume you used a chasis mounted RCA jack ala Vapire ect? And just did away with the plastic support and buss bars using wires? Thanks a lot for posting

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 7
I did it on my SRM-T1. I replaced the wire with very fine cotton covered silver and the jacks with WBT Nextgen silvers and there was a huge difference. I'm also planning to replace the main capacitors and resistors and all wires to silver. What I need is time...
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Yup im thinking of going next gen too now. Did you replace two parallel sets and did they have those resistors. Can someone please help tell me what those resistors are doing and if there is any rhyme or reason for them?

Jan 14, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did it on my SRM-T1. I replaced the wire with very fine cotton covered silver and the jacks with WBT Nextgen silvers and there was a huge difference. I'm also planning to replace the main capacitors and resistors and all wires to silver. What I need is time...
frown.gif

From internal shots I have seen, they contain some pretty bletch caps in there, well at least the 006t does. I wonder what some teflons or paper/oils would do to the sound?

Now the ultimate mod would be to hack together a brand new cathode supply, and change the tubes from 6CG7s to a better sounding tube. A couple of pairs of 841s, for example.
lambda.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 7
I think I'll put in some nice Jensen or Mundorf psu caps as I'm not sure if the Black Gates will fit. Better coupling caps and some nice Mills resistors and it should reach a new level. The 841's might be a bit excessive but even a pair of 6SN7's or a quad of 6S4's should be a step up even though these Toshiba tubes I'm using right now are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back