STAX SRM-252S vs SRM-717
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AndreiSk

New Head-Fier
Dear Members of Head-Fi,

I've always wondered why there are so few "lowest" vs "highest" comparisons in the audio gear reviews. I personally find it very exciting to see what is the difference between the incomparable!

I didn't find this comparison before, so I hope it will be interesting for someone.

STAX SRM-717 is claimed to be the best amplifier made by STAX. The 252S should be the best bang for the buck to date. Interesting.

252S vs 717.jpg

SRM-252S

I spent around a month using SR-Lambda PRO (Original 1982 model) with 252S and I was very happy with them. No, VERY happy!

It was the best setup I've ever owned. This setup revitalized my long gone enthusiasm about headphones in general. In the past, headphones have always lacked something when comparing them to speakers. But not this time.

After spending time with the 252S I thought that nothing can change the game, I'm already enjoying musing pretty much and it lasts! I know that sometimes you get a good impression of some new gear that fades away a couple of days after. And again, not this time.

SRM-717

I bought this 717 just to be sure that nothing will change and I will still enjoy my mini setup (paired with Mojo) right next to the notebook.

The full body sound of the 717 caught me unguarded, I didn't like it at first. The sound signature was nothing to do with the airy and crisp imaging I've got used to with 252S. After 5 minutes I switched to 252S, listened to one song, back to 717 and never switched to 252S afterwards.

The 717's sound has more character to it and at the same time it's more natural (not neutral), less harsh and more artistical in comparison.

So yes, you will be VERY happy with 252S and old Lambdas. Bargain!

But if you dare to reach out for more - 717 will be of service.

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 2
I have a small, but interesting update.

Just recently I got SRM-313 and decided to compare it with SRM-717. I was very biased towards 717 considering the price difference and almost two times size advantage of 717.

I spent two days to find any sound differences using the Lambra Pro, but I just don't hear any difference!

I am certain that if one will compare these two amps with some heavy load, the 717 will have an advantage. But with an average/light load you can definitely get 313 and be satisfied.

Again, the sound difference in tonal balance and sound quality was obvious between 252S and 717.

Hopefully it will help someone to make the STAX amp decision.

Attachments

• PXL_20240409_191202041.jpg
    PXL_20240409_191202041.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back