Stax SRM-007t XLR polarity
Sep 17, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BHSE might fix it though...
evil_smiley.gif

Exactly! I am just waiting for the initial pictures before I decide...
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly! I am just waiting for the initial pictures before I decide...
wink.gif

Grasping as straws I see while chanting: "I don't need a two box electrostatic amp, I don't need a two box electrostatic amp..."

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #18 of 24
Allot of recordings are made with reverse polarity anyway so even if your system's absolute polarity is correct, you'd end up listening in reverse anyway. I was trying to help a guy that was building an XLR>RCA cable/adapter and the gear he' trying to connect was built both ways. Up to a certain serial# pin 2 was hot and 3 cold, but after that # pin 3 is hot and 2 is cold. Talk about confusing!

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying to help a guy that was building an XLR>RCA cable/adapter and the gear he' trying to connect was built both ways. Up to a certain serial# pin 2 was hot and 3 cold, but after that # pin 3 is hot and 2 is cold. Talk about confusing!

Wow! That don't help at all...

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Grasping as straws I see while chanting: "I don't need a two box electrostatic amp, I don't need a two box electrostatic amp..."

I need the two box electrostatic amp!

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need the two box electrostatic amp!

Can't argue with you there ut I've developed a strong hatred of two boxed amps. Shorter paths are better then some worry about the transformers leaking flux. The extra impedance is also not a good idea.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 24
I can't match your knowledge spritzer, but the spearated power supply can be a benefit for reduction of noise. Perhaps the BH and the new BH SE can be compared in the future. The orignal plans for the BH had an external power supply. But I guess Justin had his reasons for this design.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #24 of 24
The separate PSU has both pros and cons. The amp is a whole lot simpler with a built in PSU but it's also harder to do properly. Great thought has to to into how the wiring is done and other component layout.

The best way to do it is to have the PSU at the back of the chassis, shielded off and the amp section on the front. The IC connectors will have to be on the side or the front but this technique has worked well for over 50 years.

The Blue Hawaii could use a much better PSU and certainly a better transformer. I'm aware of at least one of the older model did have an external PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back