Stax SRM-007t vs SRM-717?
Jan 27, 2006 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

John Buchanan

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting one of these amps in combination with an Omega 2 set. Anyone done any comparisons of the two? I currently have (and like) the SRM1Mk2 Pro amp with Lambda Nova Signatures, although it is a little bright. I also have a non-pro Sigma (great midrange, less bright upper mids, slightly rolled treble, rolled and slightly confused and overhung bottom end). The way I see it, the increased drive capability of the 717 is a good thing; the tubes and the capability of driving non-pro headphones with the 007 are good, but the lower drive capability is not. Any suggestions on the choice?

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 7
John

You should be aware that the new 007t amps have three Pro sockets, so you cannot drive non-Pro earspeakers.

I tested both the 717 and the 007t when I auditioned at length the O2s before I purchased them. I found the 717 more analytical and less full sounding that the 007t. I listen to jazz, acoustic, vocal, classical and soft rock and the 007t sounded more musical and less fatiguing than the 717, hence I went with the 007t.

As one reviewer said, the 717 would be ideal for a studio engineer whereas the 007t is for a more musical taste.

Simon

Jan 28, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Simon,
thanks for that info. When did they change the 007t to 3 pro outputs - the website still shows the 2 pro and 1 normal version.
Was the 717 able to drive the phones any better at peak levels (I have no problems with my current amp in this regard)

Jan 28, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 7
The photos on the website are obviously old ones. I am not sure when they changed to three Pro sockets.

I don't think the 717 drives the O2s any better, just differently. Many reviews say that the bass and treble are more extended with the 717, but when I listened to them side by side I just preferred the 007t. Nothing scientific in the decision, just what my ears told me.

If you are in the UK I would definitely recommend seeing Simply Stax. Howard does the auditions in his home (or in yours), he only does two per day and you get three or four hours to listen, discuss, drink coffee and talk to Howard. It is a great way to audition and determine what is best for you.

Simon

Jan 28, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks again - you reminded me to update my profile. Stax dealers where I live don't exist. Looks like we could be looking at either as I can't drive the Sigma with either now, but sound quality considerations lean toward the 007t.

Jan 28, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 7
The SRM 007t with RCA cleartop cryo has the extremes (low and hi) very near to the 717 but still a full musical sound.

Best!
Nicola

Jan 28, 2006 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 7
I would say if you're listening without any additional tonal assistance, the SRM-007t is a very listenable option. I have no experience of rolling the 007t though.

On the other hand, I am currently using an Omega II exclusively in a computer-based set-up with DirectX EQ's. I switched the O2 to the SRM-717 recently. The output is not extended as such but just flatter which also serves to reveal more frequency extremes, and as a result EQing works much better with the 717.

To me, the O2 is showing it's optimum performance when placed in combination with the SRM-717, plus something which is capable of affecting specific frequencies either in a non-degrading or euphonic manner as the music demands it. Expect to spend as much as the amp, if not more on such a device or software though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back