Stax SRM-007t good for Koss ESP-950's?
Jul 11, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #16 of 28
I have no problem with doing that, if necessary. But, to what degree do you think that the performance of this EA-1/ESP-950 combo will approximate that of the Omega 2, HE60, or HE90. And, let me express my appreciation for your response to my posting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Good luck getting that eps950 connector. Unless you plan on
trashing the included amp to get it.

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I have no problem with doing that, if necessary. But, to what degree do you think that the performance of this EA-1/ESP-950 combo will approximate that of the Omega 2, HE60, or HE90. And, let me express my appreciation for your response to my posting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't judge the ESP-950s till they're really well burned in. If things work out well fiscally, I'd be following your lead on the EA-1. I would still hang on to the E-90 (the stock Koss amp) because it is one hell of a portable amp when used with the available battery pack.

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 28
I'll hang on to it if it's not stripped for parts (i.e., the connector).

Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't judge the ESP-950s till they're really well burned in. If things work out well fiscally, I'd be following your lead on the EA-1. I would still hang on to the E-90 (the stock Koss amp) because it is one hell of a portable amp when used with the available battery pack.

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 28
Very interesting. I just read some reviews on them, which indicate that they are excellent. And, they can be gotten at Audio Cubes for about $239. I wonder if I should substitute them for the Etymotic ER4P/S, which I now own. Since I use the ER4P/S primarily in libraries, where I want to avoid sound leakage, will the SR-001 do as well in this regard?

Quote:

Those are the sr-001 and are the worlds fastest electrostatics.

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #23 of 28
Actually i really ment to say the sr-003.

The sr-001 are the same thing but come with that truely miserable
amplifier. (although it is highly portable)

The sr-005 system is the sr-003 headphones plus the srm-212 amp.
audiocubes price $349

These are a lot like etymotics in the pain aspect. They either fit perfect
and are therefore comfortable, or they hurt like hell.

Like all other stax headphones (except the 4070) they are bi-polar
radiators. Others around you will be able to hear them.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #25 of 28
KG
You've never really posted a full assessment of the Koss ESPs powered out of one your amps. The world really needs to know what these things sound like both in absolute terms as well as in comparison to your excellent electrostatic collection, particularly the HE-60s which are in a similar price range.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #26 of 28
Well said, kartik.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
KG
You've never really posted a full assessment of the Koss ESPs powered out of one your amps. The world really needs to know what these things sound like both in absolute terms as well as in comparison to your excellent electrostatic collection, particularly the HE-60s which are in a similar price range.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Like all other stax headphones (except the 4070) they are bi-polar radiators. Others around you will be able to hear them.

Hmmmm, I believe that you mean dipolar. The rear wave is out of phase with the front wave. Not that it matters as far as your statement is concerned. Sorry.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #28 of 28
Good luck getting that eps950 connector. Unless you plan on
trashing the included amp to get it.

That's exactly what I did to the $500 MassDrop Koss ESP/95X and connected it to a STAX SRM-007tA that I just got off of eBay for $500. SO much better. I tried changing all signal path Caps on the Koss Energizer to SoniCaps I had laying in a box and Op-Amp rolling in OP627AU's on Brown Dog Boards. Sound Quality improved a bit but there's just not enough gain in those FET Output Stages to open these Can's up.

Darin Fong's link :

https://fongaudio.com/koss-esp-950-to-stax-5-pin-adapter-wiring-diagram/

The STAX came with a 100VAC Step Down Transformer and the Tubes appear to be in good shape. Haven't checked the bias voltages (just read the article here on Head-Fi). Future plans are to simply Tube Roll some 6CG7 / 6FQ7 RCA Clear Top Tubes. I like what I hear and it's my first time with a Tubed product.

STAX SRM-007tA with Koss MassDrop ESP-95/x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back