STAX SRD7 adaptor question
Oct 21, 2008 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DannyB

500+ Head-Fier
I'm considering looking for a STAX SRD7IIor Pro for my Omega MK2. My question is what is the experience of others using the adaptor and other amps? Am I better off sticking with my SRM 007T or considering another dedicated electrostatic driver such as the KGSS or Blue Hawaii or Singlepower, etc.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 4
It basically comes down to whether you already have an excellent speaker amp.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 4
The small transformers in the SRD-7 units simply can't give out enough power to the SR-007 and they are nothing but cheap and nasty. If you want something really high end then you need to use better transformers as well as a better bias supply. Good transformers are by no means cheap and can easily run you 500$+ without going into something exotic such as silver windings and the like.

As for the amp requirements, that is mostly an uncharted territory, especially with regards to the high end. Some of the very expensive speaker amps are terrible designs and price is in no way an accurate gauge of performance. I would look for amps with very high slew rate, low output impedance and since we are only using a few watts, Class A output should be given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back