Stax SRD-7mk2 amp matching
May 19, 2010 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

graben

100+ Head-Fier
What would you recommend connecting to a SRD-7? I am looking at shops selling vintage Sansui amps from the late 70s/ early 80's for around 250/300 as well as the Nuforce Icon Amp (the one with regular speaker outs and no dac or headphone amp) which is $180. I have a Nuforce Icon DAC/amp but can't connect it without getting some adapter plug.
I really enjoy my Icon but would a vintage amp be a big upgrade in regards to the SRD-7?
Is having a powerful amp a negative for the SRD-7mk2?

May 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 10
More power isn't any worse but some designs do sacrifice power for sound quality (lower outputstage bias, lower heat but worse sound).  Most vintage amps would need some TLC, new caps, cleaning of all switches etc. but many do sound great. 

May 20, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 10
JonL raved about using an Almarra A205a Mk2 amp with his SRD-7 Pro for a while, and you could research that (although much more expensive than the vintage Sansui, it's less than an SRM-717).  

I do find my Nuforce Icon with DAC to be nice when used as a 12-watt speaker amp, and it sounds better than many other budget speaker amps that I've tried, including my 2006 Yamaha home theater receiver or a budget Sony HTR from 2007 (although having less power and not play as loud).  But I've never compared mine to a highly regarded vintage speaker amp.  The 12-watt Icon sounds better driving speakers and Stax transformers than it does via headphone out (which is on par with other $170-200 headphone amps).  But while it could play my O2 or HE60 slightly louder than my 8-watt ZDT tube amp, the ZDT tube amp sounds more refined, spacious and detailed (at a cost 10x more than Icon).

I have also tried the Qinpu A-3 8-watt tube hybrid amp from head-direct ($169), which sounds very nice but isn't really any better than the Icon when driving Stax transformers.  I suspect the new 24 watt Nuforce amp would do a good job for you, and that's what I would go for if I was doing that "transformer thing" all over again.  

May 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I've never liked the Nuforce stuff so I would certainly pick a well designed vintage amp over them. 

What kind of things did you not like about them?  The build, sound, looks, price, features?

May 22, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks to "spritzer" I will be getting an SRD7 energizer w/ his modifications and a Lambda Pro. I will be using a 1977-79 vintage Marantz 2238B Receiver rated at 38 wpc at 8 ohms. This will be my first Stax setup so I am both excited and looking forward to trying it. Cheers and thanks Birgir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back