Stax SRD-7 possible upgrades for this
May 6, 2007 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

billinkansas

500+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I am wondering about possible upgrades for the Stax SRD-7 adaptor. With my SRX-MK3's it really sounds great hooked up to a Fisher tube amp, better soundstage and overall more musical to my ears than the Stax SRM-1/MK2 amp. Problem is I detect some distortion on loud passages. Anyone ever upgrade caps, resistors, transformers, etc. with one of these?

Thanks in advance.

May 6, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 7
There isn't much to upgrade really. The only caps and diodes are in the bias supply and that wont cause any distortion unless it is malfunctioning. There are resistors on the inputs to the transformers used as an overload protection so you could upgrade those or better yet bypass all of the crappy wiring and connect the input directly to the transformers. This will be the best and most cost efficient upgrade

Then you can always build the Lundahl unit if it isn't enough for you.

May 6, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there a link to a schematic for this?

May 6, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 7
Thank you for that! Now to source Stax headphone jacks...

May 6, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for that! Now to source Stax headphone jacks...

Here ya go
lambda.gif

May 6, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't much to upgrade really. The only caps and diodes are in the bias supply and that wont cause any distortion unless it is malfunctioning. There are resistors on the inputs to the transformers used as an overload protection so you could upgrade those or better yet bypass all of the crappy wiring and connect the input directly to the transformers. This will be the best and most cost efficient upgrade

Thanks Spritzer. I'll pop the hood and have a look in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back