Stax SR40?
Jun 29, 2004 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

m0nKeY bUsiNeSs

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone here ever heard the Stax SR40s and what did you think of them?
I saw a used pair w/SRD4 adapter really cheap in a Hi-fi shop downtown. I was thinking about buying them but then I realized I didn't have anything decent to power them with. Should i go back and buy them and a decent amp or forget about it?

Jun 30, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 25
You will need a dedicated electrostatic amp to provide the energizing (bias) voltage for the diaphraghms AND the amplification of the audio signal, or a Stax adapter/energizer to use in conjunction with your existing amplifier. If you go the later route, I would suggest reasonably good amplification since the 'stats are pretty detailed.

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 25
The SR-40 is an electret model and needs no bias voltage. Since the one you saw comes with the SRD-4, all you would need is a power amp/integrated amp/receiver and then you would hook up the SRD-4 to speaker outputs. The SR-40 would also work with any of the Stax amps. I have SR-80 and they have a very nice midrange, but are lacking in bass and treble compared to modern headphones. I wouldn't pay more than $75 for them, and only if in excellent condition.

Jun 30, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 25
Slindeman is correct. I thought the post said 404s. The electret models are a pretty nice way to get into the Stax sound at a good price. If you are interested in a pair of the SR80s w/adapter, drop me a pm.

Jul 1, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
The SR-40 is an electret model and needs no bias voltage. Since the one you saw comes with the SRD-4, all you would need is a power amp/integrated amp/receiver and then you would hook up the SRD-4 to speaker outputs. The SR-40 would also work with any of the Stax amps. I have SR-80 and they have a very nice midrange, but are lacking in bass and treble compared to modern headphones. I wouldn't pay more than $75 for them, and only if in excellent condition.

Yes, you can just connect the SRD-4 to speaker outputs. The SR-40 sound is actually surprisingly good, considering that you can often find an a like-new used pair for around $70 - $100. It would be a very inexpensive way to enjoy electrostatic sounds.

I have an unit of SR-40/SRD-4 that I use in the office for chamber music, strings or small jazz ensemble music. Depends on one's taste, it may not have the punch to satisfy a lot of people, but has the transparency that is typical of much more expensive models.

W

Jul 2, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 25
Just make sure they have the adapter/driver unit. You will like them, I believe.
lambda.gif

May 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nKeY bUsiNeSs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here ever heard the Stax SR40s and what did you think of them?

Could you post which color wire from the SRD-4 goes to which terminal on your amplifier?

Any idea where I could get a copy of the manual?

Thanks!

May 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len Moskowitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you post which color wire from the SRD-4 goes to which terminal on your amplifier?

Any idea where I could get a copy of the manual?

Thanks!

From what I know, the SRD-4 has 4 speaker terminals like the back of an amplifier/receiver (L/R, +/-). I think you connect speaker wire from amp -> SRD-4, then from SRD-4 -> your loudspeakers. Plug the SR-40s into the SRD-4, and it has a headphones/loudspeaker selector. It's not an amp, it is simply a "speaker" selector.

May 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 25
important to point out, the wires coming out the back of the srd-4 go into the speaker amp, and the speakers (if any) attach to the screw terminals on the srd-4.

And yeah the srd-4 isn't an amp, it's a couple transformers and a switch.

as for which colors go to what . . . um . . . same as an srd-7 but i don't have it handy. try searching the stax threads at http://headfi.qix.it

The manual is more of a pamphlet, and will tell you less than you've read in this thread already - well, aside from the wiring diagram.

May 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 25
The red and white are right and left positive channels. Green and Black are negative, but not sure which is right or left. You could experiment with the green and black. If the headphones sound mono or completely missing the center channel, then swap the green and black negative leads at your amp.

May 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can see the color code on the back of the unit or here.

I'm not sure the color codes are printed on the back of the SRD-4, though. I'll have to check mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back