Stax SR009 Questions
Mar 2, 2016 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dip registered

100+ Head-Fier
Hi head-fi,

Wondered if anyone knew of the best place to audition a Stax SR-009 in Sanfran, Los Angeles or New York? I'm only gunna be in each spot max 5 days, and I'm missing any cons that are on unfortunately.

Another question, where is the best place to BUY an SR-009. I've heard they are cheapest in Japan, is that true? Who's the best dealer in Japan?

Is the SR-009 best run on Stax own amps? Or are there some 'must-try' matches with other good amps?

Also, I'm hoping the cable it comes with is already top-tier, and I wouldn't have to buy a better one (like I did with my LCD-XCs).

The only reason these Headphones have come onto my radar is because I've been looking into the more expensive cans like the LCD-4, Abyss, etc. why not try the Stax?

Thanks heaps for the tips, in advance!

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Ask this in the stax thread in the high end audio section of the forum. It's more likely to get you the info you want.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 5
It is quite a bit more affordable to import the SR-009 from Japan. The US retail price is currently $4,450 (used to be $5,250) but you can get it from Japan for under $3,000. A popular option is PriceJapan.com. Note that if you buy from there, you would have to send it back to PJ (who then send it to STAX) for any warranty service, whereas if you bought it from a dealer, they would take care of things for you. (I can't comment on who the best dealers are.)

STAX amps are generally just something to start out with, with the goal of upgrading to a higher-end aftermarket amp in the future. (Notable examples include the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE, KGSSHV Carbon, and DIY T2.)

The cable is nondetachable, so you don't need to worry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back