Stax SR007
Feb 5, 2009 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
I have a loan of a Stax SR007/SRM007t combo for a couple of weeks and have a question about the phone outputs.
There is one labeled normal which I'm using and 2 labeled pro only.
Is there any difference between these outputs and what is their intended purpose.
No manual so time to ask the experts.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 6
the difference, besides the number of pins, is that the two have different bias voltages

pro cans will plug into a normal socket, but normal cans (which only include older models) cannot plug into a pro socket - obviously 6 pins wont fit in a 5-pin socket :p

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the difference, besides the number of pins, is that the two have different bias voltages

pro cans will plug into a normal socket, but normal cans (which only include older models) cannot plug into a pro socket - obviously 6 pins wont fit in a 5-pin socket :p

Thanks. Never looked that closely at the pin setup...too late at night when I setup.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 6
There are two different bias voltages.
Normal -> 230 volts -> 6 Pin
Pro -> 580 volts -> 5 Pin

All 'phones up to 1982 were Normal bias, then Pro and Normal live alongside up to around 1990. Since then all 'phones are Pro bias. Pro bias 'phones are backwards compatible with Normal bias outputs, but not the other way around.
Your SR-007 is Pro bias, so switch output for more joy!
o2smile.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your SR-007 is Pro bias, so switch output for more joy!
o2smile.gif

o2smile.gif
thanks. Early morning, public holiday...time to enjoy some Stax goodness. I think I could end up wanting to own these.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 6
The pleasure is on my side!
Cause for all we know we may soon welcome you to "Team Stax".
wink.gif

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back