Stax SR-X9000
Apr 8, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #2,446 of 3,014
While I do have concerns about the design, quality and safety of many third-party electrostatic amps, one should be cautious to throw around accusations. It's my understanding that the pictures floating around of the Viva STX are not exactly from I consider to be a trusted source. In fact, they come from another builder whose amps are proven to be not on the up and up. On the other hand, if an owner states his amp does not look like that at all, then it should be easy enough to post pictures of the internals of his amp. Otherwise, it's just 2 unverified sources making claims they can't back up.

And while I'd love to see the whole Viva STX discussion cleared up, and finally know once and for all what the (internal) build quality is like, this thread is probably not the place to do it. There's a thread of pics of the internals of amps around here, much more on topic than continuing here.

(if, in the meantime, some claims have been backed up by a verified source, then feel free to pm me the info)

I don't understand how a pic with that many elements and that level of detail, within the obvious Viva casing can be doctored. But my biggest issue is that there are only two major headphone based online communities. These manufacturers know what they are and I'm pretty sure they know the issues/accusations raised. A quality brand would engage with the community and address said issues, simple, done. We have not seen that from Woo, which I'll never be purchasing from again, or Viva (which tbf, I'd understand giving it a bit more time).

Look, I've heard bad things about brands I've loved in the past and even with present ownership, Woo, EC and few others. Sucks to hear as an owner of their gear, but this kind of stuff absolutely needs to be surfaced, and ppl have a right to be pissed.

And as someone that strongly considered the STX specifically for the x9000 and SGL Sr., I think this is very relevant to this thread and potential buyers.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #2,447 of 3,014
I don't understand how a pic with that many elements and that level of detail, within the obvious Viva casing can be doctored.
The pictures most likely are from a prototype and not a production unit.

but this kind of stuff absolutely needs to be surfaced, and ppl have a right to be pissed.
totally agree.

but so far the only pics of the Viva is from a Chinese builder already having a dodgy reputation

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,448 of 3,014
don't understand how a pic with that many elements and that level of detail, within the obvious Viva casing can be doctored.
I also don’t think that this picture is doctored. Just not sure if what we’re seeing is in fact the production amp as they ship from Viva. The builder could have added his special sauce.

Look, I've heard bad things about brands I've loved in the past and even with present ownership, Woo, EC and few others. Sucks to hear as an owner of their gear, but this kind of stuff absolutely needs to be surfaced, and ppl have a right to be pissed.
Couldn’t agree more.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #2,449 of 3,014
Apr 8, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #2,450 of 3,014
Apr 8, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,452 of 3,014
Will a srm-727a (modded) or a srm 007tii drive the x9000s decently? I'm on a budget and would really appreciate some help. Thanks.
On a budget, 717 modded, 727a modded, KGSS classic, - these will all run the x9k fine. 006T modded should also be okay but haven't tested.
X9k is not as difficult to drive as the older stax. Impendence is 145k vs something like the 007 that is 20% higher at 170k impendence.

Ones I tested that did not run them well was the Srm-2xx and the Srm-313 modded.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #2,454 of 3,014
On a budget, 717 modded, 727a modded, KGSS classic, - these will all run the x9k fine. 006T modded should also be okay but haven't tested.
X9k is not as difficult to drive as the older stax. Impendence is 145k vs something like the 007 that is 20% higher at 170k impendence.

Ones I tested that did not run them well was the Srm-2xx and the Srm-313 modded.
Is the 727a modded comparable to a 700s, if you know?

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #2,455 of 3,014
What does that mean?
and why is it important?
Impedance specification is used to show the headphone's resistance to the electrical current. The 007 is highly resistant (maybe the most do any headphone?). This shows up in the bass, on lower power amps you can get distortion even within normal listening volume. The same is not found on the x9k.
Is the 727a modded comparable to a 700s, if you know?
I don’t know, sorry. All I know is that the 717 is regarded as the best Stax SS and the mod turns it essentially into a kgss.

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #2,456 of 3,014
Kevin Gilmore once said on the other forum that the SRM-700S is "about 99% identical to srm717 with non-obsolete parts and change of vas stage driver from bipolar to jfet". Not sure what difference JFETs in the voltage amplification stage will make to the final sound, but it seems like the 700S is a refresh of the 717 in many ways. No idea if it's as amenable to mods as the 717 was.

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #2,457 of 3,014
Impedance specification is used to show the headphone's resistance to the electrical current. The 007 is highly resistant (maybe the most do any headphone?). This shows up in the bass, on lower power amps you can get distortion even within normal listening volume. The same is not found on the x9k.
thanks.
Choosing the lowest impedance will translate into less distortion?
and easier to drive for the energizer?

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #2,458 of 3,014
thanks.
Choosing the lowest impedance will translate into less distortion?
and easier to drive for the energizer?
I don’t know enough to say that this is the case universally because I believe very low impedance headphones sometimes also have difficulties.
With regards to the x9k and 007 this is the case. The x9k doesn’t have the same power requirement and the 007 is very insensitive to the current which is why many users (myself included) find the Carbon to be the best fit for the 007 since it’s the most powerful amp commercially available.

The x9k doesn’t benefit from this the same way. It naturally has a brighter, etheral, sound which I speculate is related to the thinner diaphragms. The benefit is that it has better spatial-ness, detail and separation to the 007.
A full-tube amp (so not hybrids like BHSE or KGST) like the Novem, Megatron or GC provide additional heft and smooth out the hyper analytical natural timber that the x9k has. Where the 007 doesn’t get enough power from the Novem and has some distortion on bass past 85db on some tracks - the x9k does not exhibit this.

My major gripe with the kgssHV or Carbon on the x9k is that it feels like the midrange is recessed (and it’s not on every track).

This should open the doors for lower-cost all-tube amps that match the x9k. Hopefully other manufacturers try instead of focusing on the 10-20k stuff that’s much harder to obtain for the average person.

It’s nice that Mjolnir re-released the Novem, but it kind of defeats the point of the amp with the 2box bling bling parts at the new $5.4k price. Especially since Birgir says it’s sonically the same (although does have 2 jacks now). If Mjolnir released the 1 box model at $3k I think it would be the best recommendation for those looking to get a summit-fi under 10k

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #2,459 of 3,014
the 007 is very insensitive to the current
what does that mean?
It’s nice that Mjolnir re-released the Novem, but it kind of defeats the point of the amp with the 2box bling bling parts at the new $5.4k price. Especially since Birgir says it’s sonically the same (although does have 2 jacks now). If Mjolnir released the 1 box model at $3k I think it would be the best recommendation for those looking to get a summit-fi under 10k
does the SRA-7 have enough power to drive the x9000?

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #2,460 of 3,014
The x9k doesn’t benefit from this the same way. It naturally has a brighter, etheral, sound which I speculate is related to the thinner diaphragms. The benefit is that it has better spatial-ness, detail and separation to the 007.
A full-tube amp (so not hybrids like BHSE or KGST) like the Novem, Megatron or GC provide additional heft and smooth out the hyper analytical natural timber that the x9k has. Where the 007 doesn’t get enough power from the Novem and has some distortion on bass past 85db on some tracks - the x9k does not exhibit

Interestingly, I do enjoy the X9K very much with the KGST (Very nice alternative to the Carbon). Granted I have not heard it out of a full tube amp. Will try to do that one day. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back