Stax SR-X9000
Apr 7, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #2,432 of 3,014
It is identical... And I had a sound quality that was just huge.

In fact, I will try to explain simply the philosophy of implementation at VIVA and I think that their approach concretely brings a real positive value in terms of QS.

ALL VIVA IMPLEMENTATIONS are made without electronic boards. There are very few transistors. We are closer to an pure electrical circuit than an electronic circuit.

For an amplifier, implementing a unique architecture centered on the pure electric power and not on the electronics brings therefore an incredible SQ.

I think this is what makes the difference.

That's why we see cables everywhere on the pictures. In the lack of transistors in all directions, we have cables in all directions for a purer electrical flow without distortion.

And where did you get the idea that no electronics = better sound quality? Please point me to something other than Viva’s own marketing

Apr 7, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #2,433 of 3,014
And where did you get the idea that no electronics = better sound quality? Please point me to something other than Viva’s own marketing
Not to mention that tubes are electronics, and circuit boards technically are not.

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,434 of 3,014
I misspoke. What I meant was that there are several schools of amplifier implementation.

VIVA's is: No electronic circuit, and air cabling.

Now when listening, personally, I think it's fantastic. I have been conquered by the VIVA 845 for more than 2 years. After my tests I found the STX incredible on the X9000.

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #2,435 of 3,014
I misspoke. What I meant was that there are several schools of amplifier implementation.

Now when listening, personally, I think it's fantastic. I have been conquered by the VIVA 845 for more than 2 years. After my tests I found the STX incredible on the X9000.
I don't doubt your sonic preferences. I prefer the Novem with the x9000 which (although well built) is an intentionally colored and lower power amplifier.

My issues with the VIVA amps are
1) the parts add up to less than $1k based on the photos . This is one of the most expensive estat amps on the market and yet the parts cost less than a KGSShv ??
2) there are clear engineering issues / laziness , like the XLR not being balanced...

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #2,437 of 3,014

If you like the way it sounds , ok….

But I’m curious. Have you ever had a home demo or quiet listening session with an amplifier like the Headamp Blue Hawaii SE or the Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon?

Im not including meets like Canjam as they’re way too noisy to critically evaluate anything.

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #2,438 of 3,014
...I prefer the Novem with the x9000 which (although well built)

My issues with the VIVA amps are
1) the parts add up to less than $1k based on the photos . .
based on the Novem photos parts add up to less than 500$, do you have an issue with that?

is an intentionally colored and lower power amplifier.
"intentionally"????
The recipe is really simple:
First off one bash'es the latest from Stax, calling it "major screwup" or similar praise
Next up is introducing "an intentinally colored and lower power amplifier" that supposedly "fixes" the "major screwup"

The latest Ferrari motor is a major screwup, the team found mounting it in a tractor fixes it
Formula1-IndianGP.jpg

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #2,439 of 3,014
based on the Novem photos parts add up to less than 500$, do you have an issue with that?

"intentionally"????
The recipe is really simple:
First off one bash'es the latest from Stax, calling it "major screwup" or similar praise
Next up is introducing "an intentinally colored and lower power amplifier" that supposedly "fixes" the "major screwup"

The latest Ferrari motor is a major screwup, the team found mounting it in a tractor fixes it
Formula1-IndianGP.jpg

Let’s try to sort this out with some logic.

The Novem was not designed for the x9k. It’s intentionally colored in the way that tubes are not inherently neutral. Mjolnir only built 3, they pre-dated the x9k and were made as a “fun” amp. The cost was only $3k new. It’s a unique low-production unit that took a long time to design, yes the price is acceptable. Not to mention it’s exactly as advertised….

Both the Woo and the VIVA amps are 5x more expensive and have serious issues with the way they’re constructed. The Woo, isn’t even a proper 300b amp(!).

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #2,441 of 3,014
Logic? seems more like a justification. and btw didn't someone mention the new edition is priced at 5k USD?

please do apply your logic to why "an intentinally colored and lower power amplifier" should fix a "flawed headphone"?

Again, you’re conflating things.
The Novem was not designed for the x9k. It was built years before as an alternative all-tube design.

One of the three owners, early in the x9k thread said the pair worked better for him the a straight solid state amp. I have acquired one and have concurred, the pair have a synergy.

I have no idea what this has to do with the other amp manufacturers lying about their product or having dangerously bad quality control.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #2,442 of 3,014
I have no idea what this has to do with the other amp manufacturers lying about their product or having dangerously bad quality control.
The pictures you have parroted are from a Chinese website bashing the manufactor.
Manufactoring a birds nest like that is all too time consuming and prone to errors.
an owner has posted that his amp does not look like that at all.
who is lying?

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #2,443 of 3,014
Did the owner post some pictures of his/her amp? If yes, then perhaps the pictures can be posted here as a comparison.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #2,445 of 3,014
The pictures you have parroted are from a Chinese website bashing the manufactor.
Manufactoring a birds nest like that is all too time consuming and prone to errors.
who is lying?
While I do have concerns about the design, quality and safety of many third-party electrostatic amps, one should be cautious to throw around accusations. It's my understanding that the pictures floating around of the Viva STX are not exactly from I consider to be a trusted source. In fact, they come from another builder whose amps are proven to be not on the up and up. On the other hand, if an owner states his amp does not look like that at all, then it should be easy enough to post pictures of the internals of his amp. Otherwise, it's just 2 unverified sources making claims they can't back up.

And while I'd love to see the whole Viva STX discussion cleared up, and finally know once and for all what the (internal) build quality is like, this thread is probably not the place to do it. There's a thread of pics of the internals of amps around here, much more on topic than continuing here.

(if, in the meantime, some claims have been backed up by a verified source, then feel free to pm me the info)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back