Stax SR-X9000
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #2,417 of 3,060
STX sounds wayyyyyy better than Carbon 100%. It is not good match for Shang SR and decent with X9000 just not the best pairing amp. No amp alone could fix either these two. The residential experts here dont have any skills to fix stock tuning.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #2,418 of 3,060
Based on the internal photos over at head case I would not go near this thing with a ten foot pole. It looks outright dangerous to plug in. My home owners insurance broker would not cover if it catches fire.... which looks like it will😆

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #2,419 of 3,060
Based on the internal photos over at head case I would not go near this thing with a ten foot pole. It looks outright dangerous to plug in. My home owners insurance broker would not cover if it catches fire.... which looks like it will😆
What I love best about this amp is that the balanced inputs are wired off the single ended inputs. Now this is what I call “high end” 😜

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #2,422 of 3,060
IMG_9328 (1).jpg

Spent some time today comparing the Mjolnir Novem to an older-style KGSShv that I picked up.
Supposedly this one sounds more dynamic/less warm than the latest KGSShv Mjolnir offering.

Similar to my observations when comparing the Novem to the Carbon, the X9000 can display a recessed midrange on the KGSShv. Oddly, it's not apparent on every track, and varies by the mastering. The Novem in contrast never has a recessed feeling. One advantage of this "recessed-ness" is that it creates the sense of a wider, more separated soundstage but for me, this is not worth the trade given the loss of "musical-ness". The novem adds a lot of richness to the x9k, kind of like pulling the whole image in closer. For my Lambda Nova Signature and 007mk1 the KGSShv is a delight. It adds needed firmness and control to their sound.

Best:
x9000/novem - incredible soundstage, separation, detail and mids without too much of a "dry" sound. The most "shock" value for a first listener.
007mk1/kgsshv - bass centric, liquid presentation, smaller soundstage but great layering
LNS/kgsshv - excellent eq, nice bass and great highs. Lacks nothing and is the most musical of the three for me despite the smallest soundstage and least detail.

Worst:
007/novem - unlistenable, mushy and distorted
lns/novem - colored, but it works okay
x9000/kgsshv - thin, washed of any vibrance, recessed midrange... exhausting

"The Viva may be crap but it sounds so good with the X9000!! Yeah... might be because the X9000 is also crap? Just an idea... "
OP
Wonder if the logic works the other way around too?

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #2,423 of 3,060
Thanks for the link.

I am very surprised at the content which does not look like the real product.

I finally ordered mine after a very long listening session that seriously won me over. Can't wait to receive it along with my X9000. Still 3 months of waiting :wink:
6moons is a well established review website. That’s 100% the real product.

When you get yours you can take a peek inside. Retail price has nothing to do with quality especially for audio gear.

I’ve seen multiple product tear downs where it’s obvious that far more money has been spent on the external case than the quality of the internals.

They make a “boutique” product with a beautiful case, slap a €15000 euro price tag on it. Then they send a review unit to all the audiophile blogs which rely on advertising income. Nearly every reviewer sings it’s praises ( negative reviews lead to blacklisting and no more review units) and they sell a few dozen a year.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #2,428 of 3,060
so nothing like the so called inside of the STX?
It is identical... And I had a sound quality that was just huge.

In fact, I will try to explain simply the philosophy of implementation at VIVA and I think that their approach concretely brings a real positive value in terms of QS.

ALL VIVA IMPLEMENTATIONS are made without electronic boards. There are very few transistors. We are closer to an pure electrical circuit than an electronic circuit.

For an amplifier, implementing a unique architecture centered on the pure electric power and not on the electronics brings therefore an incredible SQ.

I think this is what makes the difference.

That's why we see cables everywhere on the pictures. In the lack of transistors in all directions, we have cables in all directions for a purer electrical flow without distortion.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #2,429 of 3,060
It is identical... And I had a sound quality that was just huge.

In fact, I will try to explain simply the philosophy of implementation at VIVA and I think that their approach concretely brings a real positive value in terms of QS.

ALL VIVA IMPLEMENTATIONS are made without electronic boards. There are very few transistors. We are closer to an pure electrical circuit than an electronic circuit.

For an amplifier, implementing a unique architecture centered on the pure electric power and not on the electronics brings therefore an incredible SQ.

I think this is what makes the difference.

That's why we see cables everywhere on the pictures. In the lack of transistors in all directions, we have cables in all directions for a purer electrical flow without distortion.

When you say “we” here it sounds like you work for VIVA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back