Stax SR-X9000
Jan 12, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #2,131 of 2,989
ccs mod Srm007ta How's the sound?

bought it from Möllnir Audio, but I'm curious about the sound.
In my opinion sound is very good, the modification was very effective. Neutral with good dynamics and extension and slightly warm in character. Less tubey sounding than original 007t. 6s4a tubes bring significantly more power compared to stock tubes, means now there is enough power (also for 007). The big amps have much more headroom though. On the other hand the small form factor of this amp might be a good thing for many.
The mentioned big amps sound better in certain aspects, but IMO its not day and night. You really have to throw expense/more tubes to get that extra.

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #2,132 of 2,989
In my opinion sound is very good, the modification was very effective. Neutral with good dynamics and extension and slightly warm in character. Less tubey sounding than original 007t. 6s4a tubes bring significantly more power compared to stock tubes, means now there is enough power (also for 007). The big amps have much more headroom though. On the other hand the small form factor of this amp might be a good thing for many.
The mentioned big amps sound better in certain aspects, but IMO its not day and night. You really have to throw expense/more tubes to get that extra.
I think it's a mini kgst.

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,134 of 2,989
The first electrostatic power amp, Enterprise E, which could be used with their self made separate tube preamp: Jing Tao. That was my idea being stolen lol…

Attachments

• 8A120734-0C69-41BD-85AC-DD0F689F2670.jpeg
    8A120734-0C69-41BD-85AC-DD0F689F2670.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #2,135 of 2,989
The first electrostatic power amp, Enterprise E, which could be used with their self made separate tube preamp: Jing Tao. That was my idea being stolen lol…
I am probably not understanding but T+A HV series has been using high voltage application design since 2013 I believe their website says. Soundstage did a factory visit last year and discussed it.

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #2,136 of 2,989
I am probably not understanding but T+A HV series has been using high voltage application design since 2013 I believe their website says. Soundstage did a factory visit last year and discussed it
I’m talking about the dedicated and separate electrostatic power amp exclusively for electrostatic headphones which I don’t think T+A has ever had. If you were talking about just high voltage non electrostatic preamp/power amps, there are tons.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #2,137 of 2,989
heavy metal session today

X9k on the Novem is an aggressive monster sound; can not believe just how much bass impact output I’m getting on Sam Astaroth’s cover of Fed Up, juxtaposed with dizzying high voltage guitar riffs.

Double down in previous statements. Somehow the Novem brings the mids forward and that change alone really helps them sound more related to the original omega. Curious to see if the T2 & megatron is a further improvement in this direction with the right tubes.

226DB87C-92A8-4CFA-A677-A7F5FA576B7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #2,138 of 2,989

X9k on the Novem is an aggressive monster sound; can not believe just how much bass impact output I’m getting on Sam Astaroth’s cover of Fed Up, juxtaposed with dizzying high voltage guitar riffs.

Double down in previous statements. Somehow the Novem brings the mids forward and that change alone really helps them sound more related to the original omega. Curious to see if the T2 & megatron is a further improvement in this direction with the right tubes.

226DB87C-92A8-4CFA-A677-A7F5FA576B7B.jpeg

At least for the T2, it gives the x9000 a bit more liveliness over the BHSE and even the Aeras I had on demo. It also absolutes livens the 007 up similarly more than any other amp I've ever heard. I had another session with the 007/T2 a few nights ago, and it's just an insanely good combo, for sure end game worthy. But the x9000 does still come off as a bit more polite than everything else even with the T2.

It sounds like you've found a pretty good gem at a decent price, as imo that's exactly the type of pairing and synergy the x9000 needs (mids and a bit more "bite").

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #2,139 of 2,989

I'm sorry forgive me to ask, do you two live together? (no judgement here) from the photos you two posted, it looks like the same system, in the same house, it's good to have a partner having the same hobby (classical music)

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #2,141 of 2,989
I'm sorry forgive me to ask, do you two live together? (no judgement here) from the photos you two posted, it looks like the same system, in the same house, it's good to have a partner having the same hobby (classical music)
Not sure who the other person you’re referencing but the answer would be no either way.
The other guy with a Novem lives in Europe, Im in Los Angeles

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #2,143 of 2,989
Shorted the pins

what do you means? who did you short them exactly? (so perhaps we can benefit from your experience and avoid that) thank you 🙏

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #2,144 of 2,989
what do you means? who did you short them exactly? (so perhaps we can benefit from your experience and avoid that) thank you 🙏
It just means putting your thumb or similar on the end of the 5pin connector. It releases the charge from the diaphragms. When you plug in the connector to the amp, it charges the diaphragms back up. It's a good way to release a diaphragm stuck to the stator, or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back