Stax SR-X9000
Dec 1, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #1,921 of 3,018
Dec 2, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #1,922 of 3,018
This is X9000 thred, all your comments are so personal and irrelevant to the topic and hatred infused. I put my actual listening expression as how I feel and hear back at that time which is not against any protocols or rules here ( by contrast, everything you wrote is clear violation of headfi protocals) I’m sorry you disagree based on your disillusion, bias, hatred and ignorance.

More importantly You are not audio god or headfi police and what make you feel your behavior is ok, legal, and acceptable?

Reported!

I way way way regret getting into this back and forth and apologize to my fellow headfiers for derailing the thread a bit. I will say no more.

Once I'm able to source a demo X9000 from a dealer I will be back with some hype free impressions to make it up to you guys.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #1,923 of 3,018
I way way way regret getting into this back and forth and apologize to my fellow headfiers for derailing the thread a bit. I will say no more.

Once I'm able to source a demo X9000 from a dealer I will be back with some hype free impressions to make it up to you guys.
Looking forward to hearing your experience after you try it. It is just sad that in this rabbit hole there are folks who never even heard of the things, let alone listen to them, not to mention the more valuable owner/ user experience. However they could attack, insult and jerk about these things in a most adamant and presumptuous way.

Peace and enjoy music:)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,924 of 3,018
Getting back to the x9000 :), have been spending extra time with it lately. Following up on the earlier conversation, it's definitely really competent with classical, but it is also less engaging than the HE90, R10 or SGL Sr. for sure. I don't know if it's dynamic range for me, but it's just more so the overall presentation, but this also applies to other genres for me and also just in comparison to these other (much more expensive) headphones. If I didn't have them, I'd reach for the x9000 first before anything else. Very much more of a relaxed/polite presentation (somewhat similar to the Susvara, but even more relaxed and polite) with just a bit of recession in the midrange. For me, I got the same sense with the Omega as well--the minute you put on the R10 or HE90, it's simply more engaging and exciting. They both remind me of more of a studio monitor type of sound, with very high technical performance.

That said, again some amazing sessions. A very nice flavor change, and the openness and layering is quite phenomenal, which is what I like most about it with classical. With all of that said, I'm actually going to be selling mine to a friend, which is entirely because of 1) my moving across the country and 2) since being engaged and with work getting worse and worse, I'm just getting less head time overall. I've also said I'd never sell the 009, but I'm going to do so as well, and I'd also like to sell the Sr1a. Just mentioning, because I know sometimes people equate selling gear to being unhappy with it. That's not the case here, I think the x9000 really is a bargain for just how good it is. Anyways, cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,927 of 3,018
Thanks I'm in the US and that's a price of a new one but second hand. Rather wait for a new one delivered or ideally save some money in the used market. I know it doesn't depreciate much but still.

Thanks for sharing though!

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,929 of 3,018
Getting back to the x9000 :), have been spending extra time with it lately. Following up on the earlier conversation, it's definitely really competent with classical, but it is also less engaging than the HE90, R10 or SGL Sr. for sure. I don't know if it's dynamic range for me, but it's just more so the overall presentation, but this also applies to other genres for me and also just in comparison to these other (much more expensive) headphones. If I didn't have them, I'd reach for the x9000 first before anything else. Very much more of a relaxed/polite presentation (somewhat similar to the Susvara, but even more relaxed and polite) with just a bit of recession in the midrange. For me, I got the same sense with the Omega as well--the minute you put on the R10 or HE90, it's simply more engaging and exciting. They both remind me of more of a studio monitor type of sound, with very high technical performance.

That said, again some amazing sessions. A very nice flavor change, and the openness and layering is quite phenomenal, which is what I like most about it with classical. With all of that said, I'm actually going to be selling mine to a friend, which is entirely because of 1) my moving across the country and 2) since being engaged and with work getting worse and worse, I'm just getting less head time overall. I've also said I'd never sell the 009, but I'm going to do so as well, and I'd also like to sell the Sr1a. Just mentioning, because I know sometimes people equate selling gear to being unhappy with it. That's not the case here, I think the x9000 really is a bargain for just how good it is. Anyways, cheers!

I'm finding that with the x9000, a bit of an adjustment mentally is required because of what I have described as a dynamic softness. The 007 also requires a mental burn in, but for different reasons - more like you need to adjust to the tone to realize you can hear a more 3d presentation than appears at first listen.
Some headphones favor a user with less headphones (to A/B).
CRBN was like that for me also. As much as I enjoyed them, I was very bothered by the timber when A/Bing.

There are a handful of examples on the used market:
USA
France
Netherlands
Denmark
That Denmark demo is a great deal - normally it's not a concern for me, but the 2nd market deals on the Stax might not be worth the discount it if the warranties don't transfer.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #1,930 of 3,018
I'm finding that with the x9000, a bit of an adjustment mentally is required because of what I have described as a dynamic softness. The 007 also requires a mental burn in, but for different reasons - more like you need to adjust to the tone to realize you can hear a more 3d presentation than appears at first listen.
Some headphones favor a user with less headphones (to A/B).
CRBN was like that for me also. As much as I enjoyed them, I was very bothered by the timber when A/Bing.

For sure, agree. I almost mentioned the exact same thing in that post about mentally adjusting. I enjoy it most when I start with the x9000, when an adjustment isn't really even needed. Also agree that the the same is true with the 007 for different reasons. I try to start with it as well when I use it.

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #1,932 of 3,018
How it feels like after switching to x9000 from the HD800S? even the soundstage of hd800s no good no more?
Hd800 has a large soundstage, but it feels a bit more fixed - like the speakers are always at the same set distances. Structurally this is likely because the drivers are tilted and backward projecting, creating the illusion sometimes that the audio image is Infront of you and expands slightly outward and behind the head.

X9000 is more like a giant bubble that has the ability to expand very far if needed. The circumference of where sound comes out of the driver is larger and sits closer to the ear.
Tangibly the x9000 driver is straight into the ear, so the soundstage distance is more made up in the lateral pathway.

I would say on the right track the x9000 will have a bigger soundstage because it will feel as if the track infinitely goes side to side - but the hd800 presentation is more predictable in that everything is expanded and stretched.

Example of songs where the x9000 literally sounds as if it has in-room speaker-like soundstage:
  • A-o-k by Tai Verdes
  • Ego Death by Polyphia
  • Seventeen going under Acoustic with Sem Fender & Holly Humberstone
  • 15 Step by Radiohead
  • Entire album "Couldn't Stand The Weather" by Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, especially Tin Pan Alley

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #1,933 of 3,018
guys has anyone measured this headphone?

could be true

1.png
2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back