Stax SR-X9000
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #1,786 of 3,068
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #1,787 of 3,068
I might list mine for sale soon with three sets of most popular tubes including the rarest NOS, I prefer local sale in Tris state due to my zero trust for shipping companies.

Update:

No selling anymore I really like the paring between Mola Mola after burn in with X9000 and T2

I really loveeeeeeee when it is on my new isolation platform so much to let it go!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #1,788 of 3,068
I might list mine for sale soon with three sets of tubes including the rarest NOS, I prefer local sale in Tris state due to my zero trust for shipping companies. The black version is discontinued now, I believe mine is the last one.
If the black chrome/mirror is now unavailable, I would think that Kerry can still do the anodized black that he does on the Aeras, seen below. When I was looking into ordering mine, that finish was $13kUSD like the Silver mirror finish.

09eksonic3.jpg

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #1,789 of 3,068
If the black chrome/mirror is now unavailable, I would think that Kerry can still do the anodized black that he does on the Aeras, seen below. When I was looking into ordering mine, that finish was $13kUSD like the Silver mirror finish.

Yes but black painting is also very different to black chrome. Black anodizing looks good on your Aeras though:) not at all on T2 to my taste.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #1,790 of 3,068
Yes but black painting is also very different to black chrome. Black anodizing looks good on your Aeras though:) not at all on T2 to my taste.

I’m going to try with new isolation gears, source, and DACs before my final decision.
Oh yeah, it's obviously much less reflective.

Thats not my aeras, I was just using it as an example that people will likely still be able to get some form of black T2 from Kerry/Eksonic in the future, vs only being able to get silver chrome/mirror.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #1,791 of 3,068
My X9000 has never sound this neutral, balanced, realistic and correct, after sitting T2 on the shoulder of the Harmonic Resolution Systems’s Isolation base!

The giant finally sounds as on the summit top!

Attachments

• 4C9A6175-AEAB-49C5-A9AE-F9476C373D8A.jpeg
    4C9A6175-AEAB-49C5-A9AE-F9476C373D8A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #1,793 of 3,068
Finally spent some quality time with the x9000.

My findings are that the mids on this unit really do sound different than the 13xx model I previously had and the demos units I’ve tried. At times the mids feel so centered that it’s almost as if I’m singing , like it’s aggressively in my own headspace and not out in front.

Other strangeness is how on some tracks the soundstage can really blow out and feel like speakers (opening to Ego Death by Polyphia is ridiculous if anyone is looking for a “wow” track), but on other songs it just feels “bigger” and not really like I’m in front of a 2 channel or anything too crazy. It’s more track dependent than anything else.

Bass is great but also kind of bouncy sounding since it doesn’t have the heft of other transducer types. That said it can really capture the tones within bass, instead of making it all feel like a single blob. This can work really well on electronic or well produced hip hop music but not as well with something that needs the “emph” factor. Jazz is fantastic.

Treble like all Stax really shines and does wonders for guitar solos or most clasical.

All in all, I would argue this is the best in-production headphone that I’ve heard. I’ve heard most short of the shangri-la senior, Warwick and spirit Torino valkyria. The x9000 will not be for everyone but it’s a serious tier above almost everything on the market in most respects.
When vintage gear comes into play then there are some good competitors but it stands up there too. No surprises. Probably a top 5 headphone of all time in my book.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #1,795 of 3,068
Finally spent some quality time with the x9000.

My findings are that the mids on this unit really do sound different than the 13xx model I previously had and the demos units I’ve tried. At times the mids feel so centered that it’s almost as if I’m singing , like it’s aggressively in my own headspace and not out in front.

Other strangeness is how on some tracks the soundstage can really blow out and feel like speakers (opening to Ego Death by Polyphia is ridiculous if anyone is looking for a “wow” track), but on other songs it just feels “bigger” and not really like I’m in front of a 2 channel or anything too crazy. It’s more track dependent than anything else.

Bass is great but also kind of bouncy sounding since it doesn’t have the heft of other transducer types. That said it can really capture the tones within bass, instead of making it all feel like a single blob. This can work really well on electronic or well produced hip hop music but not as well with something that needs the “emph” factor. Jazz is fantastic.

Treble like all Stax really shines and does wonders for guitar solos or most clasical.

All in all, I would argue this is the best in-production headphone that I’ve heard. I’ve heard most short of the shangri-la senior, Warwick and spirit Torino valkyria. The x9000 will not be for everyone but it’s a serious tier above almost everything on the market in most respects.
When vintage gear comes into play then there are some good competitors but it stands up there too. No surprises. Probably a top 5 headphone of all time in my book.

Agree with all of this, but especially the bolded. It is the only model available far under $10k that actually outperforms the previous TOTL models (TC, 009, Sus etc. etc.). Now whether someone prefers any of those over it is another story and totally cool. But in the price range, it is distinctly above just about everything out there. (edit* I do think the Sr1a does a lot of what the x9000 can do, but quirks in the bass and it being a bit overall less complete/cohesive of a presentation would have me give the x9000 the clear edge. But it would be up there as a technically proficient high value TOTL as well imo).

On the strangeness of the soundstage and positioning, that's one thing that for me has seemed to feel a bit more track dependent than other headphones but it's really odd and hard to put my finger on. On some tracks the openness, spacing and positioning feel great, on others a bit wonky at times. But not very frequently. I think Spritzer talked about this on the other forum in another thread. But again, really hard to put my finger on it.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #1,796 of 3,068
Agree with all of this, but especially the bolded. It is the only model available far under $10k that actually outperforms the previous TOTL models (TC, 009, Sus etc. etc.). Now whether someone prefers any of those over it is another story and totally cool. But in the price range, it is distinctly above just about everything out there. (edit* I do think the Sr1a does a lot of what the x9000 can do, but quirks in the bass and it being a bit overall less complete/cohesive of a presentation would have me give the x9000 the clear edge. But it would be up there as a technically proficient high value TOTL as well imo).

On the strangeness of the soundstage and positioning, that's one thing that for me has seemed to feel a bit more track dependent than other headphones but it's really odd and hard to put my finger on. On some tracks the openness, spacing and positioning feel great, on others a bit wonky at times. But not very frequently. I think Spritzer talked about this on the other forum in another thread. But again, really hard to put my finger on it.
I've thought about Spritzer's comments - and what's funny is on the occasions I do hear what might be a "3 blob" effect, I actually really like it since it creates so much space between things and feels similar to a 2 channel. The Chain from Fleetwood has this effect. I probably do need to go back to a 007 mk1 for some review - I have only heard it on up to the BHSE and never on my carbon - so I'm curious what happens to the soundstage layering.
I disagree with his views on the x9000 timber; it's pretty close to my reference headphone, the hp-1000. Spritzer is such a 007 guy; makes sense he's bias to a more treble dimmed sound, like the CRBN.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,797 of 3,068

Agree with many of your statements, however could not yet get that wonky feeling concerning the spatial presentation. I had read about this at the other forum and had tried to locate it myself but could not yet find it. But maybe it's only me or the genres and tracks of music I tried.
For me, the spatial presentation and its incredible separation and resolution has always been outstanding and a new class of its own.

By the way, I only have a Mjoelnir Carbon (certainly a masterpiece) besides an Antares and a 717 but unfortunately no T2.
How do you rate T2 vs Carbon?

As you mentioned, the real contenders of the X9k are in the extreme price range (meaning for me, e.g., the SGL Sr, the Warwick Aperio, the HE-1).
A lot has been written here about SQ comparisons between X9k and SGL Sr but not about X9k/SGLSr vs HE-1.

How do you rate the HE-1 in comparison to X9k and SGL Sr?

Thanks a lot and Cheers :)

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,798 of 3,068
I've thought about Spritzer's comments - and what's funny is on the occasions I do hear what might be a "3 blob" effect, I actually really like it since it creates so much space between things and feels similar to a 2 channel. The Chain from Fleetwood has this effect. I probably do need to go back to a 007 mk1 for some review - I have only heard it on up to the BHSE and never on my carbon - so I'm curious what happens to the soundstage layering.
I disagree with his views on the x9000 timber; it's pretty close to my reference headphone, the hp-1000. Spritzer is such a 007 guy; makes sense he's bias to a more treble dimmed sound, like the CRBN.

This is similar to how I feel about it as well. I actually like it much of the time as well. There are only a handful of tracks where it feels wonky to me. It's all a bit odd, but I wouldn't trade the x9k's spacing and openness just for those few tracks. And agree on the timbre, I don't find it weird at all from a timbre standpoint, much closer to a reference sound similar to the Omega (but different). But both strike me as more of a reference sound overall. I've also noticed he's more biased to a darker, warmer sound as well, which is cool.

Agree with many of your statements, however could not yet get that wonky feeling concerning the spatial presentation. I had read about this at the other forum and had tried to locate it myself but could not yet find it. But maybe it's only me or the genres and tracks of music I tried.
For me, the spatial presentation and its incredible separation and resolution has always been outstanding and a new class of its own.

By the way, I only have a Mjoelnir Carbon (certainly a masterpiece) besides an Antares and a 717 but unfortunately no T2.
How do you rate T2 vs Carbon?

As you mentioned, the real contenders of the X9k are in the extreme price range (meaning for me, e.g., the SGL Sr, the Warwick Aperio, the HE-1).
A lot has been written here about SQ comparisons between X9k and SGL Sr but not about X9k/SGLSr vs HE-1.

How do you rate the HE-1 in comparison to X9k and SGL Sr?

Thanks a lot and Cheers :)

Yea like mentioned above it's only every know and then that I notice it. Most times the staging and separation is just overwhelmingly impressive. I haven't owned the Carbon, but I can say that the x9000 is generally easy to power. It does sound incredible out of the T2, definitely a step above the Aeras and BHSE imo, but it's very very good out of both of those as well. So if you really love the synergy between the two, the juice may not be worth the squeeze just for the x9000 alone. That said, everyone I know with the T2/x9k combo has been blown away.

I unfortunately haven't heard the HE-1 and I just learned that the flagship store near also just closed so I don't think I ever will be able to. I'll have to let someone else chime in. :)

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #1,799 of 3,068
Please post photos when you get your Soren build & keep us updated with the delivery timing; I was unable to find any when I had reached out to him a month ago.
I suspect that the Megatron is the ideal match for the X9000.
For the last several months I have anxiously awaited a Megatron to pair with my x9000s. So far I have listened with a Carbon and a 323x. I tolerated x9000s with 323s...I liked x9000s with Carbon...Megatron arrived two days ago. I plan to post very brief impressions on Head-fi and the other site.

My builder is Soren Brix, and I would not feel comfortable sharing any of my listening experience without first giving credit to Soren. I'm new to the hobby and so I cannot really make comparisons, but my experience with Soren made the amp-building experience personal, intellectually stimulating, and (of course) fun. I recommend him as a builder and as a person without hesitation.

I will keep the 323x as a fallback option in case my Plan A isn't working for whatever reason. It's fine but mushy. It has connectors that the Carbon and Megatron don't. That's nice.

I might keep the Carbon--I don't need it, but certainly I will keep it for the near future. It's as lucid and precise as I can imagine an amp being. I think it's a good fit for any number of headphones due to its clarity. I like it with the x9000s and I'm considering getting a 007 mki, specifically to pair it with the Carbon. It's idiot-proof and much of my classical and acoustic music is having a field day.

I love the Megatron. It rocks with pretty much everything I listen to. I'm not a millionaire--money matters, and I'm nearly out of mine. Of course the Megatron is more expensive than a Carbon. It's worth the extra expense. I won't try to pretend to be technical: the Megatron is FUN. I officially have a bias towards tubes. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a T2, or any of that Shangri-la business. That's fine. I think I can live without a top-of-the-top-of-the-line because I have a Megatron, and it makes the x9000s a joy to listen to without fatigue.

A few comments about some claims I've read about Megatron:

The Megatron does not run too hot. It's warm and that's it. It is not a hazard or a danger or a space heater, unless you like juggling hot tubes while covered in petrol.

The Megatron does not need an hour to warm up. It takes one minute. I do not understand where this claim originated from.

The Megatron does not need a priceless collection of tubes to roll. Mine are stock Mullards and a pair of Philips E80CCs. A couple hundred euros and you're done for the next 10,000 hours or so. The sound is fresh, full, vibrant, intimate, and, again, fun. I might venture into tube-rolling someday, but not anytime soon.

I might have more to say about the Megatron and x9000s, but that's enough for now. Thank you Soren!

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #1,800 of 3,068
For the last several months I have anxiously awaited a Megatron to pair with my x9000s. So far I have listened with a Carbon and a 323x. I tolerated x9000s with 323s...I liked x9000s with Carbon...Megatron arrived two days ago. I plan to post very brief impressions on Head-fi and the other site.

My builder is Soren Brix, and I would not feel comfortable sharing any of my listening experience without first giving credit to Soren. I'm new to the hobby and so I cannot really make comparisons, but my experience with Soren made the amp-building experience personal, intellectually stimulating, and (of course) fun. I recommend him as a builder and as a person without hesitation.

I will keep the 323x as a fallback option in case my Plan A isn't working for whatever reason. It's fine but mushy. It has connectors that the Carbon and Megatron don't. That's nice.

I might keep the Carbon--I don't need it, but certainly I will keep it for the near future. It's as lucid and precise as I can imagine an amp being. I think it's a good fit for any number of headphones due to its clarity. I like it with the x9000s and I'm considering getting a 007 mki, specifically to pair it with the Carbon. It's idiot-proof and much of my classical and acoustic music is having a field day.

I love the Megatron. It rocks with pretty much everything I listen to. I'm not a millionaire--money matters, and I'm nearly out of mine. Of course the Megatron is more expensive than a Carbon. It's worth the extra expense. I won't try to pretend to be technical: the Megatron is FUN. I officially have a bias towards tubes. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a T2, or any of that Shangri-la business. That's fine. I think I can live without a top-of-the-top-of-the-line because I have a Megatron, and it makes the x9000s a joy to listen to without fatigue.

A few comments about some claims I've read about Megatron:

The Megatron does not run too hot. It's warm and that's it. It is not a hazard or a danger or a space heater, unless you like juggling hot tubes while covered in petrol.

The Megatron does not need an hour to warm up. It takes one minute. I do not understand where this claim originated from.

The Megatron does not need a priceless collection of tubes to roll. Mine are stock Mullards and a pair of Philips E80CCs. A couple hundred euros and you're done for the next 10,000 hours or so. The sound is fresh, full, vibrant, intimate, and, again, fun. I might venture into tube-rolling someday, but not anytime soon.

I might have more to say about the Megatron and x9000s, but that's enough for now. Thank you Soren!
Thank you 🙏
Can you post some photos? I can not find any of the build and are considering one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back