Stax SR-X9000
Jul 27, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #1,486 of 3,060
FWIW, I've never really liked the stock tuning of any Audeze planar I've ever heard. I think the CRBN is the best thing they've produced in terms of tonality, but it still lags the Stax SR-009S, let alone the SR-X9000, to my ear. For those enamored of planar bass, I would concede that the CRBN probably provides the closest approximation to it of any estat, but the flipside is its lack of treble extension and air. I also don't find the timbre of the CRBN as natural as either the Stax or Hifiman estat offerings. YMMV, as always.

Also wanted to mention that my promised SR-X9000 review is running late, but should be posted by this weekend. Spoiler alert: it's a world class headphone. :)

Jul 27, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #1,487 of 3,060
Anyone who ordered from Justin in October got their X9000?
I placed my order on November 1st.
The latest information from a Justin earlier this month was they would be shipped by the end of this month but so far no more news.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #1,488 of 3,060
This is something I greatly look forward to as well. Their first go at it is one of the beat tuned estats ever made and certainly the best tuned one current availible, so if they can just crank the detail and stage they will be a serious competetor. I for one would love to see an adeze shang competetor

They’ve really hit the nail on the head tonality wise, which is important. Especially when the brighter tonality (and especially in the highs) of many stats has discouraged adoption for so many over the years.

But Audeze has quite a long way to go in the categories stats are known for excelling in other than that to truly compete. Will be interesting to see how follow up models play out.

Jul 28, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,490 of 3,060
Hello,
a short question to other SR-X 9000 users: Do you have any personal impressions about the play-in time of the new SR-X 9000?
I think that I could see a positive boost at about hour 60 and again at about hour 80, which was particularly positive in the space available.
From hour 0 to about 60, the 9k behaved rather statically.
My 9k with the SN 1408 is already developing very well and is there still something going on?
Many greetings from Rainer

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #1,491 of 3,060
They’ve really hit the nail on the head tonality wise, which is important. Especially when the brighter tonality (and especially in the highs) of many stats has discouraged adoption for so many over the years.

But Audeze has quite a long way to go in the categories stats are known for excelling in other than that to truly compete. Will be interesting to see how follow up models play out.
Broad question: does the fixing of tonality negate some of the quintessential Stax sound?

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #1,492 of 3,060
Broad question: does the fixing of tonality negate some of the quintessential Stax sound?
I think so but just personal opinion as everyone's

I don't think rolling off highs, one of the Fourte of electrostatic technology as almost all TOTL IEMs have used electrostatic drivers for highs, will make the can better. Yet I understand there are folks who are not into the electrostatic highs in that it sounds too harsh to them while to me electrostatic highs are non fatiguing personally.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,493 of 3,060

I think it depends what you call stax sound. If you are talking about the crazy extension, then yes. If you are talking about the vivid stage, then in my experience no

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #1,494 of 3,060

APERIO Warwick, and ShangriLa all has amazing stage and extension. In most cases, the "brighter", the better stage for most cans and gears. My theory is stax cut the highs to attract people who are not used to Electrostatic lovers same as what audeze and Mr speaker do, which is not related to stage.

The big stage of X9000 is achieved more by its driver design not necessarily by rolling off highs. That is I don't think stage and extension are exclusive, but instead the opposite. I doubt EQ the rolled highs on X9000 will sacrifice any stage.

Another case is the original omega where the highs and tonality are better but the stage is not smaller. That is the best Stax to ME.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #1,495 of 3,060
My theory is stax cut the highs
Highs must be tamed and controlled. If you let it lose it will lead to sibilance, shrilling and unnaturalness.

The key is, can you extend the highs to the bottomless depths without any unnaturalness and cut offs?

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #1,496 of 3,060
Highs must be tamed and controlled. If you let it lose it will lead to sibilance, shrilling and unnaturalness.

The key is, can you extend the highs to the bottomless depths without any unnaturalness and cut offs?

Agreed. Totl stax tend to do it pretty well but the issue lot have is peakiness not extension. Imo, this tendency towards peakiness is one of the main reasons basicaly every totl stax amp except the carbon (and the carbon doesn't seem all that popular in comparison to others) all go for some fairly smooth tubes (el34, 300b, etc). Tbh the first estat I haven't had an issue with this on (without going dumb smooth source wise) is x9k.

That said, I don't realy want the crbn to just become another stax. I'm personaly more excited about it being an interesting contrast in the estat space if they are able to crank the detail

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,497 of 3,060

Extension doesn't necessarily mean sibliance which is the forte of this technology especially compared to dynamics and Plannars. Brutal cut is not control but simply giving up.

And to answer your question, yes extension at both ends could be achieved simultaneously and has been by many gears, cans and cables, people normally call it V shape, which doesn't necessarily mean the vocal has to been sacrificed as there is also W shape.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #1,498 of 3,060
Can we extend the highs beyond the norm without any issues?

The best to do (personally) follow the Harman curve and boost up the bass, midrange and treble (If not it will be too neutral and boring sounding) without any of the frequencies to bleed over. There must also be a illusion happening to and that is probably placing the treble forward and smooth out the highs but giving the sense of extension with the forwardness. Another important thing is to fix the midrange and let it blend and dominate, this can happen with the forward treble. Soundstage must be backward and around.

It is tricky to solve the ultimate headphone frequency idea. But probably I am onto something :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,499 of 3,060
I think so but just personal opinion as everyone's

I don't think rolling off highs, one of the Fourte of electrostatic technology as almost all TOTL IEMs have used electrostatic drivers for highs, will make the can better. Yet I understand there are folks who are not into the electrostatic highs in that it sounds too harsh to them while to me electrostatic highs are non fatiguing personally.

I think it depends what you call stax sound. If you are talking about the crazy extension, then yes. If you are talking about the vivid stage, then in my experience no

Agree with all of this. I think staging, imaging and layering can all be improved while maintaining a smooth tonality.

The roll off in the highs definitely contributes to the "smoothness" of the CRBN. I think it's generally harder to achieve that type of smoothness while also having great extension in the highs, which also impacts perceived detail. Everyone's varying tolerances complicates this further. Some people are simply more sensitive to treble energy--something that's harsh and bright to one person may not all be to another. I think the x9000 has a pretty decent balance in this regard, but some still have mentioned a bit of brightness for their liking.

But I'd be just fine with the CRBN keeping its current tuning (again, it's very enjoyable), if the staging opened up considerably and if the holographic layering stats are known for were present. Hopefully in a future release. :)

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #1,500 of 3,060
Can we extend the highs beyond the norm without any issues?

The best to do (personally) follow the Harman curve and boost up the bass, midrange and treble (If not it will be too neutral and boring sounding) without any of the frequencies to bleed over. There must also be a illusion happening to and that is probably placing the treble forward and smooth out the highs but giving the sense of extension with the forwardness. Another important thing is to fix the midrange and let it blend and dominate, this can happen with the forward treble. Soundstage must be backward and around.

It is tricky to solve the ultimate headphone frequency idea. But probably I am onto something :)

Eh, I disagree that Harman is best here. Imo the important part isn't the Harman tuning hut instead balancing the ranges with eachother. I quite enjoy some brighter cand such as hd800s, but that's because it's well balanced. You can't just crank highs and ignore the rest. I think my go to cans actualy do tend to be Harman tbh, I just don't like writting stuff off automatically because it's not (like I don't think x9k is particularly Harman and I know basiclay no other stax is but x9k and lambda sig are both fantastic)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back