Stax SR-X9000
Dec 16, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #1,966 of 3,060
My friend ended up needing to back out of the sale, which is ok, as I wasn't thinking about selling them to begin with, but now I'm putting them up for sale officially: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/stax-x9000-priced-for-quick-sale.38048/.

Mainly to downsize, it's really a pain trying to get my gear across the country for my move. I don't trust putting any of it on the moving truck, so shipping expenses and trying to time it all right with the track arrival dates is nerve racking. Also have a Sr1a and 009 if anyone is interested, willing to offer deep discounts on both if interested. Looking for quick sales (move next week), but if not I'll probably just keep everything because I will have paid a ton in shipping to get them to Chicago lol

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,967 of 3,060
My friend ended up needing to back out of the sale, which is ok, as I wasn't thinking about selling them to begin with, but now I'm putting them up for sale officially: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/stax-x9000-priced-for-quick-sale.38048/.

Mainly to downsize, it's really a pain trying to get my gear across the country for my move. I don't trust putting any of it on the moving truck, so shipping expenses and trying to time it all right with the track arrival dates is nerve racking. Also have a Sr1a and 009 if anyone is interested, willing to offer deep discounts on both if interested. Looking for quick sales (move next week), but if not I'll probably just keep everything because I will have paid a ton in shipping to get them to Chicago lol
Best headphone ever lol. You are not very credible man. This was all hype.

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,968 of 3,060

Great deal. If I didn’t have one already.. good luck with the move! And congrats to the lucky buyer whoever it is..

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,969 of 3,060
I've sold things that I called best ever and still think they are 🤷🏻‍♂️
Trying new stuff, better synergies with other gear, more specialized or general roles, cash value.. could be many reasons to let go of something. Doesn't mean you can't buy it again later as well.

I would buy it if I already had an amp or if I wasn't planning to spend my money on other parts of my chain. GLWS

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #1,970 of 3,060
Trying new stuff, better synergies with other gear, more specialized or general roles, cash value.. could be many reasons to let go of something. Doesn't mean you can't buy it again later as well.
It shows that all new gear is better then the older until it gets too boring and something new is needed. Yes, that's how hifi ticks.

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #1,971 of 3,060

Please quote where I ever said it's the best headphone ever. Please find that anywhere, as I have NEVER said that about ANY headphone. Even further, I've been critical of the entire concept of a "best ever"., because it's what leads to trolls like you constantly berating threads and thwarting good conversation because you are just DYING to beg everyone to agree with whatever headphone you love to be the best (CRBN and Focal Utopia).

Second, I have been very vocal about where it excels and where it DOESN'T and that has been consistent over the past year--you can literally see it in my impressions thread. That is not something you can say at all about your favorites; you are extremely biased with a very clear agenda. So given your consistently ridiculous posts on this site, it's pretty crazy to question my credibility knowing that MOST of us question yours lol

I would buy it if I already had an amp or if I wasn't planning to spend my money on other parts of my chain. GLWS

Again, I have never called any headphone the best ever. The only thing anyone has ever heard me say is "this headphone is the best I've ever heard", which I have never even said about the x9000 lol. But agree on the second part, these are headphones I would absolutely be open to buying in the future, along with a few others that I've also sold before. People act extremely weird when you sale gear and it's just ridiculous to me lol

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #1,972 of 3,060
From what I remember he just said the Shang Sr was his favorite, but the X9K was close to it. I agree with that opinion as well

The X9K is so hard to get right now, I imagine it’ll be a quick sale. I’ve contemplated selling mine, but I’m afraid I might regret it and don’t want to wait another year to get a new pair

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #1,973 of 3,060
Because I ordered mine two weeks ago,if you put your 9000 on sale a little earlier @number1sixerfan I would have bought it immediately.
However just my two cents,some words about @Trance_Gott
All about audiophile it’s just hype;maybe perhaps many of us do not realize that this our beloved hobby, since we have the knife on the side of the handle, we always end up having the blade in our hands, what I would like to say in simpler words .. in itself our hobby is a constant search for the best product, and I'm sure that you too, like many of us, are part of this group; we have a sort of obsessive compulsive disorder, because if the real goal is, and only music, I wouldn't change headphones every 5 months / one year,or paying one like a good used car.
I could also tell you that in my opinion the new utopia is not worth compared to the previous model; I believe that a little equalization would bring them to the same level; but this is other people's hype! and crap, we live about this hype!
so if you're happy, I'm sincerely happy for you! I don't have the desire, nor the motivation, like you do, to have to impose a point on a headphone thread that you don't like! I respect your opinion, but changing a headphone doesn't necessarily mean you don't like it; i had a mdr r10 until recently; i changed it.
I still think that for some characteristics it is simply the best. Yet I gave it away! And do you know why? Because this is the nature of our game/hobby!
I really liked the 9000; and I agree with you that compared to other models it doesn't have full-bodied bass for listening to metal/rock genres. one of the most developed, on characteristics that cannot be "calibrated"; resolution, speed, detail, this feeling of being inside a theatre, because the sound comes out of your head, and for me,listening at high volumes, immerses me like no other headphones! the bass is weak? to hell with the purists, give us a nice EQ,and although I will not have the full-bodied bass of an r10 (because the r10 has full-bodied bass) I will still be satisfied with the total result! the real flaw of the stax ,that nothing can compensate for it,is the lack of slam that the dynamic driver offers!but hey,its plate still remains one of the most complete headphones ever!
therefore, I understand your speech, but I also understand that you express it with a tone of arrogance, which does not benefit you, nor the community; therefore....relax

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #1,975 of 3,060
Because I ordered mine two weeks ago,if you put your 9000 on sale a little earlier @number1sixerfan I would have bought it immediately.
However just my two cents,some words about @Trance_Gott
All about audiophile it’s just hype;maybe perhaps many of us do not realize that this our beloved hobby, since we have the knife on the side of the handle, we always end up having the blade in our hands, what I would like to say in simpler words .. in itself our hobby is a constant search for the best product, and I'm sure that you too, like many of us, are part of this group; we have a sort of obsessive compulsive disorder, because if the real goal is, and only music, I wouldn't change headphones every 5 months / one year,or paying one like a good used car.
I could also tell you that in my opinion the new utopia is not worth compared to the previous model; I believe that a little equalization would bring them to the same level; but this is other people's hype! and crap, we live about this hype!
so if you're happy, I'm sincerely happy for you! I don't have the desire, nor the motivation, like you do, to have to impose a point on a headphone thread that you don't like! I respect your opinion, but changing a headphone doesn't necessarily mean you don't like it; i had a mdr r10 until recently; i changed it.
I still think that for some characteristics it is simply the best. Yet I gave it away! And do you know why? Because this is the nature of our game/hobby!
I really liked the 9000; and I agree with you that compared to other models it doesn't have full-bodied bass for listening to metal/rock genres. one of the most developed, on characteristics that cannot be "calibrated"; resolution, speed, detail, this feeling of being inside a theatre, because the sound comes out of your head, and for me,listening at high volumes, immerses me like no other headphones! the bass is weak? to hell with the purists, give us a nice EQ,and although I will not have the full-bodied bass of an r10 (because the r10 has full-bodied bass) I will still be satisfied with the total result! the real flaw of the stax ,that nothing can compensate for it,is the lack of slam that the dynamic driver offers!but hey,its plate still remains one of the most complete headphones ever!
therefore, I understand your speech, but I also understand that you express it with a tone of arrogance, which does not benefit you, nor the community; therefore....relax
I really appreciate your analysis, especially about what drives us and how you define it: "obsessive compulsive disorder."

Personally I have just shifted to another level. I decided to downsize my equipment in terms of volume and upgrade in terms of quality. No more collections of headphones and other Hifi stuff. I have isolated my three listening areas:
- Area 1 ==> Indoor listening: I don't touch anything and part of my equipment is reused for sedentary headphone listening: AudiQuest Nirvana 5000 + DIY Roon Server + Mola Mola Tambaqui
- Area 2 ==> Sedentary headphone listening: X9000 (I sold my UTOPIA and my HD800S) and I target the VIVA EGOISTA STX amplifier that I could test. Magic
- Area 2 ==> Listening in mobility: I sold my FOCAL STILLA and for AK SE200 to pass to AK SP3000 + FIR AUDIO Xenon 6.

My mobility listening and also used in sedentary for the dynamic part. This allows me in sedentary listening to have two approaches: Electrostatic and dynamic.

In my mind I'm not going to move for a long time, except revolution :wink:. After the container, I will now focus on the most important, the contents.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,976 of 3,060
if they set the price the same as HD800S, $1999, it won't be so much controversy, people nitpick everything once the price is breaking bad. Even Heisenberg was greedy at the end.
changes gonna come, hopefully, a few months maybe

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,977 of 3,060
From what I remember he just said the Shang Sr was his favorite, but the X9K was close to it. I agree with that opinion as well

The X9K is so hard to get right now, I imagine it’ll be a quick sale. I’ve contemplated selling mine, but I’m afraid I might regret it and don’t want to wait another year to get a new pair

Yup, that's what I've said pretty much since day one. I have also said that the x9000 is quite a bit better than the CRBN, which it just is; that's pretty much the general consensus across most people that have heard them both. And honestly I think that's his major hang up and it's pretty clear it's the only reason he visits this thread, pretending to actually be interested and ultimately doing nothing but bashing a product he still hasn't heard. All in the sake of claiming that something is the best ever. It'll never make sense to me lol

Anyways, that's my last mention of it. But on your second point, that was a factor I considered in whether I should keep them. I'd hate to have to wait another long stint to get them back. If they do sale, the thing I'd miss most is the out of head spaciousness. The Sr. is very spacious, but more tight, cohesive and forward, rather than the more spread out layering of the x9000. Really good complements, actually.

I really appreciate your analysis, especially about what drives us and how you define it: "obsessive compulsive disorder."

Personally I have just shifted to another level. I decided to downsize my equipment in terms of volume and upgrade in terms of quality. No more collections of headphones and other Hifi stuff.

This is a huge reason I've been downsizing my collection the past three months, in addition to moving. It's been great having a huge collection during the pandemic, especially the first year or so when I had a TON of time to listen. I used to listen to 5-6 headphones per session for hours. Now, I have far less time, more suitable for 1-2 at a time for an hour or two a few times a week. I just don't like having $50k worth of equipment that I won't have the time to use, that's far more useful invested or put to better use. I've also been shifting more of my energy to music discovery with just a few headphones and it's been far more fulfilling than how much I use to swap out and focus on the gear.

I do love the look of a really nice, large collection though, but I'll just have to miss it lol.

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #1,978 of 3,060
I preferred 007mki over everything, it was unique among everything we tried. I love x9000, and Megatron makes it feel "complete". But as a stand-alone headphone, 007mki really does stand alone.

007mki with Megatron is great. X9000 with Carbon is also great. But I don't think either pairing is ideal.

If I can only pick ONE headphone and one amp, I pick 007mki and Megatron--but I think 007mki pairs better with Carbon, and x9000 pairs better with Megatron. I acknowledge that my response might be a bit confusing, hopefully I've clarified?
When we compared your 007 MK1 (SN70xxx) with my MK2 (2016 model, with port and spring mod), my main findings were:
Mk2 has more sparkle in the treble and more impact/precise bass. I found the presentation more engaging compared to MK1. MK1 on the other hand was a bit more even in midrange, which was preferred. Over all I preferred my MK2 and you your MK1, so we were happy with what we have.
I think that because a.m. findings about MK1, the more pronounced abilities of Carbon at both ends (leaner, tighter bass, slightly straighter treble) of the frequency sprectrum (compared to Megatron) were suiting MK1 a bit better. With MK2, the synergy with Megatron was already superior to my ears (compared to MK2 with Carbon).

I now feel I have to describe sound signature of Megatron (MT) somewhat.
MT gives really body to the music. Specially 009/9000/Lambda are benefiting from this a lot. This is combined with a perfect balance of energy across the whole frequency range. This was immediately obvious when I listened to MT the first minutes. Never it sounds fatiguing, often I´m tempted to crank up the volume to higher levels than normal. When I tried cranking up GG, there was a kind of aggressive shout in the voices (just in comparison), so I avoided it naturally. This effortless presentation of MT, so natural, with endless power for any of the headphones makes it really enjoyable. MT sounds softer than GG and Carbon, no question. But it has no problem with speed or engaging presentation. It is not a pretender, there is not really tube glare, as all the tubes might suggest (and like I noticed e.g. on unmodified SRM007T). Carbon and GG both have a bit more punch (and I definetely appreciate this ability!), but I rated the overall presentation of MT higher. Keywords are better reverb and decay, wider, very coherent soundstage. Not so perfect records are more enjoyable.

That said, overall, both of us preferred our 007s to our 9000s (if choosing one headphone), while accepting the 9000 being technical superior. For me it comes down very much on my mood and on the music which one I prefer. In general I prefer the more direct presentation of 007 (and 009, Lambda), with 9000 I often have the feeling of having engaged this "Surround sound switch", which feels I´m to far away from the stage. Not so rarely when starting a session with 9000 I then switch to another phone, being annoyed (lets say I´m not at all excited). Other days with different music, the 9000 seems to be perfect (and better than any other headphone). To my ears, 007/009 are better allrounders, funnily despite having (probably) the more uneven frequency response.

PS, agree to some comments, that my current Ifi/Questyle source is not up at the level as it should. But I would consider it as neutral sounding. I have heard better/more expensive DACs, and yes, "everything" will sound even better with these, but I would not expect that it mixes up above my mentioned impressions too much. Anyway, I´m searching for an upgrade :)

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #1,979 of 3,060
I love the sound of my 007mk2. I have read the threads but I am not sure what the issue is with it that people complain about. If the mk1 sounds so much better wouldn’t EQ address the problem people have with the Mk2?

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #1,980 of 3,060
I love the sound of my 007mk2. I have read the threads but I am not sure what the issue is with it that people complain about. If the mk1 sounds so much better wouldn’t EQ address the problem people have with the Mk2?
I think at the end of the day it really depends on what one's preferences are, in the context of one's rig and one's musical tastes. I have both the Mk2 and a couple of Mk1s and I do enjoy both. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back