Stax SR-X9000
Oct 29, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #1,726 of 3,013
Call me crazy i don't care but here are my personal findings with my ears. Comparing 3 units of X9K phones S/N 10xx, 11xx, last close to 14xx.
Note that differences are only in region of 1-3%.
The differences are in soundstage and in the area of upper midrange, all have identical bass.

1. unit has great soundstage with slightly thin upper midrange towards 009.
2. unit has 2% less soundstage similar upper midrange and sounds slightly dryer than unit 1.
3. unit has similar soundstage than number 2 but the upper midrange is not thin. This unit sounds ultra balanced and somehow fuller or more "fun"
On analog source all units sound great but on digital source 1 and 2 less so. The number 3 unit sounds on digital source great i guess because the upper midrange is more "filled". The 1 and 2 units have some similarities towards 009 but somehow the third unit doesn't give that feeling that it reminds me of 009.
Not that crazy. Literally every stax model (except the 009?) has had distinct differences between different years of build. Good to see the preferred version is the most recent.
I am surprised you have access to three though lol. I was told by Headamp my DOA pair was entirely replaced with a new one S/N 15xx and likely should be to me within 2 weeks. That puts me at about 11.5 months round trip from order to working unit. Pretty wild.

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #1,727 of 3,013
I was curious to compare because the first unit wich i had and my friend had a listen to it and he dicided to buy one because it sounded excellent. When he got he's own unit he's first reaction was it doesn't sound identical, the soundstage was different. To my ears the latest unit sounds just phenomenal nothing wich reminds me about 009.
Sweet balanced relaxed full sound

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #1,728 of 3,013
I was curious to compare because the first unit wich i had and my friend had a listen to it and he dicided to buy one because it sounded excellent. When he got he's own unit he's first reaction was it doesn't sound identical, the soundstage was different. To my ears the latest unit sounds just phenomenal nothing wich reminds me about 009.
Sweet balanced relaxed full sound
To all 009S / X9000 users (sorry if I jump on the bandwagon): is the X9000 really better than the 009S? Both used with a BHSE of course.
Many thanks in advance.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #1,729 of 3,013
To all 009S / X9000 users (sorry if I jump on the bandwagon): is the X9000 really better than the 009S? Both used with a BHSE of course.
Many thanks in advance.
Yes it is - better tonal balance, better resolution, bigger soundstage and better imaging. Better bass for sure.

(BHSE is good but not sure why of course)

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #1,730 of 3,013
Yes it is - better tonal balance, better resolution, bigger soundstage and better imaging. Better bass for sure.

(BHSE is good but not sure why of course)
Agree.

@Phil95 Don’t think you can go wrong with the X9K vs the 009S.

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #1,731 of 3,013
If anyone could help, I'm looking for a comparison of X9000 v Susvara bass.Thanks!

Bass is REALLY important to me and I'm worried the bass of X9K might be a little too light compared to something like a susvara.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #1,732 of 3,013
If anyone could help, I'm looking for a comparison of X9000 v Susvara bass.Thanks!

Bass is REALLY important to me and I'm worried the bass might be a little too light compared to something like a susvara.
They are both very sleepy compared to 1266TC and many many others, except X9000 with T2 with stock tubes and SUS with WA23 also with stock tubes. I feel we might chase the same brother! You will be very happy with WA22 as a stand-alone amp:)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #1,733 of 3,013

I've still to finish my mental comparison between the Susvara and X9000 as I'm taking my time (including listening to some other headphones in between) to form my opinion on how those two compare. When I switch from one to the other, I instantly love the other; and when I switch back, I instantly love the first. They are both great.

But I do have a forming opinion on how the bass compare so, with a massive caveat that first impressions are subject and likely to change --

The X9k is rather unique in having a great bass for an estat. I would say that, generally, it has good bass for any headphone period, which rounds it up to a wonderful headphone. But I prefer the Susvara's bass.

The X9k has just the right amount of energy in the bass (my earlier comment on great tonal balance). But it isn't as well defined as its mids and tredble frequencies. It is all there and you hear it all perfectly resolved. But the Susvara bass is more crisp and textured. It feels tighter, for lack of a better descriptor.

The caveat is that the Susvara requires (as you know) exceptional amplification to extract that bass. Anything less, and you can ignore the above. The X9k benefits from high quality amplification, but it doesn't require a lot to get its bass impact. So it is in fact a bit more forgiving on that end.

I am committing a small sin here in giving premature inputs, so take it for what it is, grain of salt and all... :wink:

PS
As for my tastes: I appreciate the 1266 bass physicality, which is awe inspiring. But my preference gravitate to Susvara driven by a power amp.
As for the X9k, I drive it off my Mjolnir Carbon. The best I've heard it on was, without doubt, Kerri's T2. But the delta isn't big, and actually (and I can only go off memory, which is tricky) my perception is that the T2 opens up the X9k in the mids and treble, and is in fact less warm, so my chain may be better for the specific purpose of your question.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #1,734 of 3,013

Bass is REALLY important to me and I'm worried the bass of X9K might be a little too light compared to something like a susvara.
Less bass than the Susvara, but good for an estat. You might be disappointed

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #1,735 of 3,013
Many thanks in advance.

Agree with the others. Just all around better by a good margin, and that's coming from a major fan of the 009. Although I didn't have the S version. The only thing to be mindful of is they have very different presentations, the 009 more traditional neutral/forward sound and with more of the typical stax energy; and the x9000 more laid back, with diffuse staging. I prefer the former, and yet the x9000 is quite a bit just technically better.. 009 barely gets any use now. May end up parting with them.

From my days with the Susvara and 009/SGL Sr., it only had marginally more perceivable bass over them imo. From memory, the x9000 struck me as generally around the same level as the Susvara. Not doubting that the Sus may be better, but it's nowhere near the level of difference with say the TC. I think if you can tolerate the Sus, I don't know that the x9000 would be a deal breaker. But I think you listen to metal? If that, hip hop or hard rock were my main genres interested in, I'm not sure I'd try to build a stat rig with them just for that--especially if I had a TC/Sus on hand. They're much more suited to classical, jazz, acoustic etc., but that's just my opinion.

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #1,736 of 3,013
Agree with the others. Just all around better by a good margin, and that's coming from a major fan of the 009. Although I didn't have the S version. The only thing to be mindful of is they have very different presentations, the 009 more traditional neutral/forward sound and with more of the typical stax energy; and the x9000 more laid back, with diffuse staging. I prefer the former, and yet the x9000 is quite a bit just technically better.. 009 barely gets any use now. May end up parting with them.

From my days with the Susvara and 009/SGL Sr., it only had marginally more perceivable bass over them imo. From memory, the x9000 struck me as generally around the same level as the Susvara. Not doubting that the Sus may be better, but it's nowhere near the level of difference with say the TC. I think if you can tolerate the Sus, I don't know that the x9000 would be a deal breaker. But I think you listen to metal? If that, hip hop or hard rock were my main genres interested in, I'm not sure I'd try to build a stat rig with them just for that--especially if I had a TC/Sus on hand. They're much more suited to classical, jazz, acoustic etc., but that's just my opinion.
I think the X9K is good with metal, but it’s not good with hip-hop. It’s better at hip-hop than the Shangri-La Sr though. But hip-hop is a sub bass heavy genre, and I don’t think any estat is going to be preferable over a planar in that regard. I’d say if we are only talking about mid-bass though, the X9K and Shang are definitely adequate.

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #1,737 of 3,013

As a general rule, planar bass trumps estat bass. The X9K has very good bass presence/quantity, but it lacks the impact of the Susvara's bass, nor does it extend quite as low. I almost invariably prefer rock music on the Susvara. Note that I'm using an iESL (transformer box) driven by a speaker amp with my X9K. Something like a T2 may close the gap somewhat. FWIW, the Warwick Aperio/Bravura supposedly have exceptional bass by estat standards, although I've yet to audition them.

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,738 of 3,013
I think the X9K is good with metal, but it’s not good with hip-hop. It’s better at hip-hop than the Shangri-La Sr though. But hip-hop is a sub bass heavy genre, and I don’t think any estat is going to be preferable over a planar in that regard. I’d say if we are only talking about mid-bass though, the X9K and Shang are definitely adequate.
I think it depends on what you're looking for. From a bass standpoint I agree, but overall I would prefer the SGL Sr. for all of those genres over the x9K because of how laid back it is in comparison to the higher energy and more forward Sr. But more importantly I just don't think stats in general are best for them. But I only mention that if someone solely listens to them and is looking to spend $15k+ on a stat system. If you listen to other genres as well it's more of a moot point.

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #1,739 of 3,013
As a general rule, planar bass trumps estat bass. The X9K has very good bass presence/quantity, but it lacks the impact of the Susvara's bass, nor does it extend quite as low. I almost invariably prefer rock music on the Susvara. Note that I'm using an iESL (transformer box) driven by a speaker amp with my X9K. Something like a T2 may close the gap somewhat. FWIW, the Warwick Aperio/Bravura supposedly have exceptional bass by estat standards, although I've yet to audition them.
i had the bravura on home demo for 2 weeks and the bass was severely lacking for me.

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,740 of 3,013
i had the bravura on home demo for 2 weeks and the bass was severely lacking for me.
Aperio has slightly better slam but still could be lacking for you and me. That is why I end up with T2 & X9000 with Russian tubes.

For headphone listening, I guess I’m a bass head, I owned it and I am proud of it. I need soul shaking quality and quantity bass on par of top loudspeaker systems, but meanwhile it also has to be natural and organic without getting overly hard, unnatural, fatiguing nor affecting the overal sound balance.

The best bass has got to be from the amps. Bassy cables will sacrifice the sound balance, bassy DACs could sound fatiguing and overly processed, bassy cans could only sound inorganic and forced.

Back then Kerry agreed to design and build me a power amp version of T2 for me to try with external preamps but I almost lost patience and hope in finding good paring pre for my Riviera power amp so for the sake of convenience, I didn’t choose that path. Looking back, it might be a mistake and I should just have a power amp version of T2 for more potentials and possibilities.

One of the hardest part for an audio system is to reproduce the full dynamics of percussion instruments. Some believe listening to classical music does not need bass, yet the truth is the opposite, especially for big arrangement involving drums, which could put utmost challenges to all loudspeaker as well as headphone systems. While I don't listen too much electronic or rock music, bass is still essential to my headphone listening. The real to life dynamics of real instruments acturally is very difficult to represent, demanding great dynamics and control from the source throughout rear end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back