Stax Sr-X Mark III Impressions
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #16 of 223
I have these at my house and have put together some impressions on the panny digital amp.

The amp does take these headphones to the next level. There is a better sense of space and more placement on the soundstage. However, it still feels as if you are in the front row which is not a bad thing. There is also an effortlessness to the headphones that was not there before. The highs are still slightly recessed, but are more promenient than before. The sound of the headphones has become more neutral with the shift in amp from the bass emphasis before. Overall, these headphones have a close soundstage, with recessed highs and are highly upstream dependent for their final quality and some of the best headphones I ever heard.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #17 of 223
You need to get that stax test cd... sounds amazing, great spatial effects.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Oooh, I have a Panny digital reciever at home, never thought about using that. Hmmmm *strokes chin*

I have the energizer not the amp so that is why I heard the difference. BTW, I got my tax return and I have two options, a stax amp or a digital amp. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the subject. I have a $300 budget.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #20 of 223
If you really want to hear the X-III's sing, listen to them through the Nuforce RF-9 driving the SRD7 transformer. The sound is clearly superior to that delivered by the Stax 006t amplifier. If you've only heard them through a 70's receiver, as I suspect many have, you have only an inkling of what they can do.

I agree with John that the X-III's highs are a little subdued although very smooth and sweet but the reproduction from 80-10,000 HZ is difficult to criticize with silkiness galore, extraordinary speed and dynamics, and tone-colour differentiation better than anything I've heard except for maybe Apogee speakers.

Bass is remarkably well-defined but the bottom octave and a half is missing. Soundstage height is AWOL as well. Apart from that they're nigh on perfect.......

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #22 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
How much does a Nuforce RF-9 cost?
tongue.gif

I think they're around US $2500 for a pair of monoblocks. But you can drive speakers with them so it's not just a headphone amp.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #23 of 223
I'd love to have a listen to these although I don't really need to collect every cool Stax in the affordable bracket, however it would be fun. I already have Sigma Pro's on my 'to get' list, I can't really justify the SR-X and SR-5 Gold as well but you never know, intrigue may get he better of me
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #24 of 223
Quote:

I'd love to have a listen to these although I don't really need to collect every cool Stax in the affordable bracket, however it would be fun. I already have Sigma Pro's on my 'to get' list, I can't really justify the SR-X and SR-5 Gold as well but you never know, intrigue may get he better of me
wink.gif

I'd go so far as to say the X-III's are indispensable for any headphone nut. I haven't heard every phone on the market but I own the current Stax 404's and the X-III's beat them easily from upper bass up to mid-highs. The 404's have a lovely warm acoustic however that the X-III's lack and may be more user-friendly.

They also keelhaul the Jecklin electrostatics I compared them to. It was a slaughter......

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #25 of 223
Quote:

I'd go so far as to say the X-III's are indispensable for any headphone nut. I haven't heard every phone on the market but I own the current Stax 404's and the X-III's beat them easily from upper bass up to mid-highs. The 404's have a lovely warm acoustic however that the X-III's lack and may be more user-friendly.

Interesting. Were you driving the SR-404 with the SRD-7 as well? (which SRD-7 is it? the mk2 with pro outlets, or the normal srd-7 with two normal outlets?)

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #26 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Interesting. Were you driving the SR-404 with the SRD-7 as well? (which SRD-7 is it? the mk2 with pro outlets, or the normal srd-7 with two normal outlets?)

No. I was comparing the X-III's driven by the Nuforce/SRD7 combo to the 404's driven by the Stax 006t amp so it wasn't a pure phone-to-phone comparison.

For the record, the qualitative difference between the 404 and the X-III is less when they're both being driven by the 006t although the mids are still clearly superior on the X-III. However, enjoyment-wise it's pretty much a track-by-track thing in this situation. On some I prefer the 404, especially lush ambient "slow" material. The X-III's are much better with faster, snappier stuff.

I wish I had the "pro" version of the SRD7 because I have a feeling the 404's driven by the Nuforce might be rather good.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #27 of 223
Quote:

wink.gif

Collecting out of production Staxes is quite an entertaining hobby. I'm after the SR-Omega and SR-X Pro, personally.

What's on everyone elses "to get" list?

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #28 of 223
if i've never listend to electrostats before (except the HE90/HEV90), and I want to try to dabble and get my feet wet, what are some recommendations? preferable <300

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #29 of 223
Strangely I have never come across a set of original Omegas for sale. I've often looked at pictures longingly but like the T2 amp, they seem extremely elusive. I have absolutely zero idea how much the going rate might be for these. Anyway, it's not like I'm overflowing with disposable income right now so I'll console myself with a set of 003's. Sill, better than a poke in th eye with a pointy stick
lambda.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #30 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
if i've never listend to electrostats before (except the HE90/HEV90), and I want to try to dabble and get my feet wet, what are some recommendations? preferable <300

If you're looking for new the only option is the SR-001 MkII here:

http://www.audiocubes.com/brand/Stax...II_System.html

Secondhand, a few otions may be possible but these will be th likes of Lambdas (not pro), SR-5 Gold, SR-x MkIII with SRD-6 or SRD-7. These are all possibilities but even so, $300 might still be pushing things.

Remember, ebay is your friend.
In fact a SR-X MkIII and SRD-7 are available for bidding right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back