Stax SR-Omega reliability issues
Jun 22, 2006 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nomad

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm comparing these days the SR-Omegas with the HE90. Both are driving by the same amp, a HEV90. That is a bit unfair for the Omegas as they are driven by 490V instead of 580V but at least I can try both from the same amp.

Although I'd like to wait a few weeks before to post final conclussions it is almost a tie at the moment so I was wondering how good the Omegas could sound. That made me start a SRM-T2 hunting (good luck to myself). Already, two Stax dealers said to me something like this:

Quote:

I can tell you that the old ones were not very reliable,, They membrane had a short life cycle.
I currently dont have old SRM-T2

I remember back in the day when I was hunting for SR-Omegas I got similar comments from Stax dealers. And they are not serviced by Stax. Another head-fier (Akira) got a pair and the left driver stopped to work after six months and he couldn't get it repaired. I think I did read that they would put O2 drivers on them?

Anyway, they are still fantastic and as you can see I didn't mind to take the risk on Ebay for them. But I just thought you all should know. This might make you come to your senses and get an HE90 instead if you can (still serviced by Sennheiser) or make you realize how insane you are as this post only pushes you to buy TWO pairs instead of one (one for backup).

I'm not going to say in public what my reaction was.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 22, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 10
I realize it is a bit unfair to say I'm conducting this experiment and then say I won't say a word until the next month for the sake of consistency and accuracy. I'll just copy-paste a few first-impressions at least so you can have an idea about it.

Quote:

Regarding both phones, the HEV90 is driving both as I write. I coulnd't do much of A/B tests as I started with only the HE90 plugged as I wasn't sure if driving both would decrease performance a bit. After getting some comments on Head-fi that this shouldn't be a problem I plugged the Omegas too, but that was like two hours later, so the HE90 had an advantage there.

Still... I was listening to music until very late yesteday. And very early this morning, and at lunch time too. I'm going to have a hard time deciding which is better. I love both. There is a lot to say about them but on a first impression (and I don't have much time now) I'd say that the Omegas have a bit more detail, a bit more airy and a bit better soundstage. They have better PRaT too (and this is not just a bit more, it is very noticeable). They look like a winner.... However... In the long run... The Orpheus is smoother, a bit fuller and warmer sounding and just more forgiving overall. More "musical" perhaps. Both are great. Really.

When I go from HE90 to Omega I say to myself (ah, the Omega is better), when I go from Omega to HE90 I say (ah, the HE90 is better). It's like when you are trying to decide between your two favorite songs. The best one is the one you are listening at the moment.... until you try the other one!

Let's see what long-term listening says....

Quote:

I couldn't do much of listening yesterday (coming back to the office at 3AM!) but I could this morning for another 2-3 hours. The HE90 is more romantic and lush, the Omegas have more "sparkle" and "livier", with much better PRaT and a bit more detail and soundstage. The HE90 never sounds offensive and it is very polite and ethereally enjoyable. Although objectively the Omegas does more things "right": Better PRaT, Detail and Soundstage... at the end the HE90 just seems a bit more enjoyable for the kind of sound I'm looking for (You know I like sounds a bit on the "lush" side).

But I really don't know what to do. This morning I started with the HE90 for the first 20 mins, then I swapped to the Omegas and I kept the Omegas for the remaining 2 hours until I had to go to work. I didn't come back to the HE90s. It's funny but the HE90/Omegas is a bit like the Senns/Grado dilemma. After listening the Omegas the HE90 sounds "veiled and a bit boring" if you are negative or "relaxing and romantic" if you are positive. After listening the HE90 the Omegas sound "Harsh and thin" if you are negative or "livier and with more sparkle" if you are positive.

I really love both equally right now. One is a bit on the relaxed side, another on the exciting one (but the difference is almost minimal, the HE90 can be exciting too and the Omegas can be relaxing too, of course). Well see what happens in the long run...

Quote:

I'm still not sure about which one is my favorite. I tend to prefer lush sound so this gives and edge to the HE90 but for whatever reason the Omegas are a bit more engaging. While the HE90 are having a tad fuller sound (this from the HEV90, perhaps from the T1 is different), sometimes I'm willing to trade this for the sharper and punchier sound of the Omegas (still, the difference is not big between them).

The funny thing is that this test is not fair for the Omegas which are driven by 490V instead of 580V. I'm really curious about how good the Omegas could be from the SRM-T2. Perhaps I should get one. The problem is that Stax won't service this combo. Senn still service the Orpheus.

Quote:

Meanwhile, I'm still struggling while deciding which I prefer. I definitely feel like the Omegas is a bit superior phone but the Orpheus is a tad warmer and fuller (small difference, but it is there) that makes up for their lack of PRaT (evident) and detail and soundstage (not that evident and not a big deal anyway). So still a tie on my head (but the Omegas are driving by 490V). The Omegas are far more comfortable than the Orpheus as long as you don't use it for long time in hot environments, where the leather-velour approach of the HE90 proves to be superb. It never gets sweaty. Still... the Omegas is a better option no matter what for big heads.

Still, the HE90 might have the edge due servicing factors. That's what a Stax dealer told me again yesterday while asking for the SRM-T2:

I can tell you that the old ones were not very reliable,, They membrane had a short life cycle.
I currently dont have old SRM-T2

Jun 22, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 10
The SR-Omega really was Stax's "lets push the boundaries as far as we possibly can and be damned at the consequences" headphone, whereas the Omega II took that and toned it down to something more realistic, and in all probability more profitable. I don't think they took the HE90 at all well as a company.

Of course driver death is something that can happen to all electrostatics. It's thin, fiddly stuff, and getting it right each time every time is a bit too much to expect.

Great read, Javier. I'm looking forward to the continuing comparison, especially if different amps are thrown into the mix. I'd love to know how SR-Omega + ES-1 performs. If possible, I'd love to see an HE60 thrown in as a wildcard, too.

In case you're wondering, Stax still service T2s. Which is good, because the things don't like dust one bit.
tongue.gif

Keep up the good work!

Jun 22, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 10
I wouldn't say that the Omega2 are really worse than these two "by design" (still, I'm not very familiar with the O2). They just seem to have different sound signature. It seems like the sound signature of the HE90 has more appeal. The SR-Omega has a very similar sound signature. I would say that it is a bit "thinner" with a bit less bass/midbass. It's a bit like the 404 and HE60 but far more refined and the highs are not harsh. Still... it's not as easy on highs as the HE90 is, but they are very close.

Yes, driver death is something that can happen to all electrostatic but I was told by Stax repair department staff that the Omega2 are far more reliable. And we don't have many reports of things going wrong with the Sennheiser ones, some rattlings on a very few HE60 perhaps (touching wood for mine).

I have an adaptor so I can try the HE60 from the HEV90 too. My HE60 has been on loan for more than one month already. I'll try to get it back and compare it with the others, but from memory (and I'm very used to the HE60 sound) I'd say that it is not playing on the same league.

With the SR-Omega out of the picture, the HE60 still have some interest as it is punchier than the HE90 or O2, being called "the grados of electrostatic" (a bit misleading, though). The SR-Omega is just like a better HE60. How often are you going to use a Grado SR-60 if you have a SR-225?

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, Carl. Rob, I sent you an email.

Jun 22, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Yes, Stax has done that. Well, at least Stax Japan has done it couple of times.

That would be like to send your RS-1 to Grado for repair and then having them back with HD650 drivers.

Nothing wrong with the HD650 drivers, but if you like the RS-1 then perhaps they won't be your thing. Besides, the drivers won't be on the housing they were designed for.

Jun 22, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
That would be like to send your RS-1 to Grado for repair and then having them back with HD650 drivers.

Nothing wrong with the HD650 drivers, but if you like the RS-1 then perhaps they won't be your thing. Besides, the drivers won't be on the housing they were designed for.

Yeah, from what I've read on Japanese sites, owners have reported they (Omegas with OII membranes) sound very much like OII's with slightly different flavor.

Jun 22, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Regarding the SR-Omega:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that SR-Omega headphones where developed and produced in-house by Stax (implying that the Lambda-series was not all in-house).

It seems that Stax changed the original membrane specification around 1994. So, you can say that two types/versions/generations of membrane exist. I would guess that it would be somewhat reassuring to own a pair with a high serial number
smily_headphones1.gif

Furthermore, two types of cartwheel mesh fixation discs exist, one in plastic and one in aluminium. These are glued to the gold-plated copper mesh to keep it flat. Both are identically shaped and have no bearing on the sound reproduction, but reflects another change in the production.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
some rattlings on a very few HE60 perhaps (touching wood for mine).

The lack of a dust guard on the rear of the headphone does let a lot of gunk in there if you let it. That won't kill the driver, just make it hiss like a pissed of cobra.

Quote:

the HE60 still have some interest as it is punchier than the HE90 or O2, being called "the grados of electrostatic" (a bit misleading, though)

I know where you're coming from with that one. I've had similar experiences with it.

Quote:

The SR-Omega is just like a better HE60.

eek.gif
Way to get me salivating!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextcube
Regarding the SR-Omega:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that SR-Omega headphones where developed and produced in-house by Stax (implying that the Lambda-series was not all in-house).

It seems that Stax changed the original membrane specification around 1994. So, you can say that two types/versions/generations of membrane exist. I would guess that it would be somewhat reassuring to own a pair with a high serial number
smily_headphones1.gif

Furthermore, two types of cartwheel mesh fixation discs exist, one in plastic and one in aluminium. These are glued to the gold-plated copper mesh to keep it flat. Both are identically shaped and have no bearing on the sound reproduction, but reflects another change in the production.

Very interesting info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back