Stax SR-Omega 1 has landed! (Large 56K Warning)
Mar 26, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #16 of 80
Congrats on the O1. The pads look really beat up compared to an untouched pair. If they are anything like the O2 this will completely change the sound.

I've had pretty good results with general purpose cleaning liquid when restoring the old Stax headbands. I soaked them for a few seconds in about 10% mixture and then pressed the water out of them. They look like new afterwards.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #17 of 80
I just spent the last hour putting Lexol on the leather (1 application of the cleaner, 3 applications of the conditioner). It's now very supple and soft, this stuff is amazing!

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the O1. The pads look really beat up compared to an untouched pair. If they are anything like the O2 this will completely change the sound.

I've had pretty good results with general purpose cleaning liquid when restoring the old Stax headbands. I soaked them for a few seconds in about 10% mixture and then pressed the water out of them. They look like new afterwards.

The suede on the old headband seemed to have been very used, to the point where there's fluff on the top of the headband cloth . I don't think it'll be an easy fix..

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #19 of 80
Now that you've basically sampled the Holy Grails of Headphonedom, what's next? Don't you feel that you're perhaps... finished?

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that you've basically sampled the Holy Grails of Headphonedom, what's next? Don't you feel that you're perhaps... finished?

Finished? Never!

Not until I have room for speakers, that is.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #22 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The suede on the old headband seemed to have been very used, to the point where there's fluff on the top of the headband cloth . I don't think it'll be an easy fix..

I've seen that too, there is no easy fix but in my case the headband was fine despite that.

Btw. Those leather cleaners are great. I've seen them work wonders on car seats that I thought were headed for the scrap heap. The problem with the O2 pads is that the foam inside them last only for about two years with medium use while the leather is fine for at least double that. If you need any held with the removal of the pads I can send you a picture of the instructions from Stax

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #23 of 80
Quote:

I've seen that too, there is no easy fix but in my case the headband was fine despite that.

Btw. Those leather cleaners are great. I've seen them work wonders on car seats that I thought were headed for the scrap heap. The problem with the O2 pads is that the foam inside them last only for about two years with medium use while the leather is fine for at least double that. If you need any held with the removal of the pads I can send you a picture of the instructions from Stax

Hmm. I'm not too sure how much the Omega 1 earpads are supposed to extend out though (one side is squished down compared to the other, like the Omega II, but more extreme). I wonder if it would be possible to fill in the inside with replacement foam (from a hardware store) to puff it up a bit more?

If you could send those instructions to adriankwok@gmail.com, that'd be greatly appreciated!

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #24 of 80
I love the look of the Headphones over the II's. I never heard them and at the last price I see I never will. Good for you they are nice. I wish I was still buying instead of selling off my collection. Carl
lambda.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

The pads are sloped and they are about 1cm where they are thinnest and about an inch (2.54cm) where they are thickest.

I'll send you those instructions in a few hours.

My pads are 0.5cm off (exactly) on both ends. I wonder if that's because of the foam or the leather..

Sell me your NOS pads!

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 80
Quote:

My pads are 0.5cm off (exactly) on both ends. I wonder if that's because of the foam or the leather..

Sell me your NOS pads!

It would be the foam. Some users in Japan are using Audio-Technica pads, A1000 I think, as substitutes. I'll try and find the web site.

You can pry the NOS pads from my cold dead hands...
wink.gif

Btw. You've got mail...

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #28 of 80
Quote:

It would be the foam. Some users in Japan are using Audio-Technica pads, A1000 I think, as substitutes. I'll try and find the web site.

You can pry the NOS pads from my cold dead hands...
wink.gif

Btw. You've got mail...

Got the mail!

I put my fingers under the leather and tried to push the foam up. That made it puffier, but it's not long term. There seems to be quite a bit of foam 'missing', it probably shrunk over time.

So the A1000 pads - you gut them, and then stuff the foam into the O1's pads?

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #29 of 80
Quote:

Got the mail!

I put my fingers under the leather and tried to push the foam up. That made it puffier, but it's not long term. There seems to be quite a bit of foam 'missing', it probably shrunk over time.

So the A1000 pads - you gut them, and then stuff the foam into the O1's pads?

They just mod the A1000 pads so they will hand on and scrap the stock pads. SR-007 pads should work with a bit of modding and they might actually sound better. Smaller opening means less air to move and that can make a huge difference.

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #30 of 80
Quote:

They just mod the A1000 pads so they will hand on and scrap the stock pads. SR-007 pads should work with a bit of modding and they might actually sound better. Smaller opening means less air to move and that can make a huge difference.

Ah, I'd like to keep it stock, so unless NOS earpads (
wink.gif
) pop up, I'll be sticking with these.

When I put them on, they seem to enclose my ear fine.. we'll see how it sounds when the amp arrives!

I may try stuffing foam under the pad, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back