Stax Sr 80 Pro's Missing Components? Help!
Mar 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Buntudor

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone.  I have been trying to fix an Imbalance on a pair of Stax SR80 Pro's for 6 months now.
I have dis-assemble the earspeakers and looked inside.  I cannot see any varistors or components of any kind in the earcups.  Have they been modified?  Are the components missing?  All the photos online appear to have components inline with the cabling.

Also when Im playing music on them I can hear music coming from the SRD -4 adapter although very faint and muffled!  Is this normal?

The set looks to be looked after and the plates all appear to be untampered with and have no perfroations

I paid £120 for the Phones and adaptor and would very very much like a chance to use them.

Many many thanks in advance for any help.  Im at my wits end and am considering giving up with them :frowning2:

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 3
you say faint? this is one channel only?
this photo is from an sr30, I was told they use the same drivers as the sr80 only difference is the frame; Lambda Jr.
Your hook up is correct, source and amplifier all check out with another headphone? Someone has to ask right?
One user had the leads from the adapter soldered onto rca jacks, it happens.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 3
Thankyou Toast
I have included a pic of my phones.  Where are my components!! :frowning2:
Yes I have swapped the stereo on the phones (easy really from inside the energizer, as the middle pin is unused)and I'm confident its the right hand drivers on the phones.
I am tempted to pull the shrink wrap away and look, but I didn't really want to start with ruining them further.

Also toast.. is it normal for the adapter to produce faint music when driven at half volume?  The bass and kick drum are more audiable making quite a rasping noise in there!  

Any help will be most welcome. 
Best

Ty 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back