1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

STAX SR 507 EAR PAD PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by glorkaglickflic, Apr 17, 2016.
  1. glorkaglickflic

     

    1. [​IMG]
    1. glorkaglickflic
    2. [​IMG]
    3.  
    4. online
    1. 110 Posts. Joined 10/2013


    I've had issues with the ear pads. The left one kept slipping to the side, exposing the tremendously tacky tape.  The right ear pad is not so bad because it stays in place.  I removed the left ear pad, and it was tremendously hard (don't ask) because of the tenacity of that tape, and replaced the tape with  3M9474LE (300LSE) double-sided tape.  Things were okay for a while, but that left ear pad started slipping again, exposing that super-super tacky tape again.
     
    I'd like to know if there is ANY alternative to the double-sided tape issue.  There are two new Lambdas (SR-L500 & SR-L700), and I don't know of the attachment mechanism of the ear pads to the ear speakers of these new Lambdas. I know that Stax is not offering replacement pads for these new Lambdas yet. 
     
    I'd appreciate it if anyone on this forum might know how these new Lambda ear pads are attached, and if these ear pads are not attached by glue to the ear speakers, could these ear pads be retrofitted to the SR 507.
     






     
  2. Michgelsen
    There is no general double-sided tape issue with Lambdas that I'm aware off. What I have seen happen, is the tape loosening over time, in which case the best option is to replace the pads with new ones, which come with new tape. I would strongly suggest cleaning the surface before applying new tape. From your post, it appears that you have put the new tape over the old one. Maybe that's why it's slipping again.
     
    Can you remove the old tacky tape, for example by rolling it off with your fingers, or with pieces of the same tape you got off elsewhere? My first advice would be to take everything off, clean it well with a suitable solvent, and apply new tape to the clean surface. As for the solvent, first try some small cotton swabs with isopropanol to dissolve the residue and wipe it away. While this often isn't a super solvent for glue residues, it usually gets the job done, and its main advantage is that it's safe on all plastics (and pretty safe for humans too). You'd better not use acetone or aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene, toluene, xylene), as some plastics will be dissolved by them, and I don't know which plastic that housing is made of. As an in-between, you could try an aliphatic hydrocarbon solvent, such as white spirit without aromatics (often called 'low odour'). Sometimes, vegetable oils such as olive oil can work too. Whatever you do, use cotton swabs to prevent spilling.
     
    I do not know for sure how the new Lambda pads are attached, but I guess in the same way as they have always been: with double-sided tape.
     
    jgazal likes this.
  3. setmenu
    These last couple of  days have been spent removing that darned sticky tar adhesive from 3 pairs of lambdas. [old lambda pros and a 404]
    all 3 pairs had literally fallen apart, the ear pads sliding around and the transducers falling off the mounting plates.
    not forgetting all the foam having become tacky and disintegrating too.
    I used white spirit to dissolve the goo , soaking the mounting plates and carefully rubbing saturated tissue on the driver and housings.
    Used silicone rubber adhesive to reattach the drivers to the mounting plates and double sided for the ear pads.
     
    I do believe the sr-l700 has clip on pads. [and hopefully a nicer solution with the driver.]
     

Share This Page