Stax SR 404/SRM 717 Break-In?
Apr 5, 2006 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jaybar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I have 4 days with this combo. They were new out of the box. The higs are reported to be tipped up which I so far do not find. The mid range is a bit recessed/"gray". By comparison the AKG K1000 had more mid range presence/vividness/wow. I even experienced more midrange presence with the Senheisser HD 650/600 RS HR-2. Also, things are still a slightly bit fuzzy.

These are the negatives. The positives are amazing PRAT, nuance and mcuch better overall musical communication. Vocals have a texture and naturalness that I have not yet experienced from any dynamic setup.

Very comfortable.

Sonic textures are very realistic in terms of density. Bass is very tight/informative and fast for what there is.

Will the mid-range suck out improve over time? Will the Omega II correect the deficiencies?

I have very good quality source (Ayre CDP and Rega P9 TT with Benz Ruby and Ayre phono stage. IC's are Cardas GR with Sunyata power cords.

I am hoping things will improve. I am not a tube guy.

Hope to hear from those experienced with Stax.

Thanks,

Jay

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 8
I have the 007t and not the 717, but I found that the O2s and the amp continually improved over the first 200-300 hours, so you should still hear things settle into a more balanced and concise sound over time. The fuzziness definitely goes.

Simon

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
Will the mid-range suck out improve over time?

It still continues to be sucked-out and to be honest I think break-in is one of those pieces of fiction that we so often encounter in the audiophile world. No doubt there are subtle changes over the first hundred hours or so but the massive improvements some ascribe to break-in are IMO a lot of rubbish.

What I think happens is that the newbie listener at first finds fault with the novel sound but gradually becomes accustomed to its particular set of strengths and weaknesses. They then pronounce that the sound has improved because of break-in. What's changed however, is the listener, not the equipment.

When I first got my 404's I was disappointed but modified my opinion after immersing myself in them to the exclusion of other phones. I assumed they'd broken-in but when I compared them later to my other equipment I found they had the same sonic characteristics as they'd originally had.

This is one of the least-appreciated aspects of the audiophile world - how listeners become accustomed to particular colourations and judge everything from the standpoint of the default notion of sound they get as a result.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297
What I think happens is that the newbie listener at first finds fault with the novel sound but gradually becomes accustomed to its particular set of strengths and weaknesses. They then pronounce that the sound has improved because of break-in. What's changed however, is the listener, not the equipment.

I am sure you are right about getting used to equipment. I suspect that it is similar to what some experimental psychologists have called "perceptual learning" and resembles the process by which we develop listening skills and visual skills such as reading.

I also think that that the break-in on electrostatic phones is fairly negligible.

However there are 2 aspects of sound that do change a lot. Firstly, amplifiers/connectors/cables and the like. If you buy some new equipment and this gentleman has bought a new 717 amp, I would expect some definite changes over the first week or two. Ditto if there are any new ics, or cables.

The other point is that I find the Stax systems very much affected by warm-up. Electrostatics are not ready to go when first hooked up. They need a bias charge and I do not hear a fully charged up system when first turned on, even though the amps are supposed to give them an instant charge. I recall someone reporting that they were told by Stax techs that most Stax phones need about an hour's use to reach their potential. Kevin Gilmore even recommended leaving them charged up al the time and he provided a charging circuit.

My first Stax were run from transformer adapters with a self-charging circuit and I recall the sound of them as they took several minutes to get going properly. The various Stax amps are an improvement in that regard but I still think they are not capable of getting phones fully charged in less than 30-60 minutes.

I am struck by how variable the sound can be from day to day, depending on the vagaries of the charging cylce and pattern of use.

That said, Stax phones are not the only items which are affected by charge-up, DAC's seem as much affected as well. My Musical Fidelity A324 can sound really flat if left unused for a few weeks.

Finally, because stats can be so revealing, what you may think of as warm-up of the phones, could actually be the other components in your system warming up and being more audible now.

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 8
I leave my energiser on all of the time, because im constantly picking up and putting down my headphones and so warm up for "listening time" isnt really valid.

Is this bad?

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I leave my energiser on all of the time, because im constantly picking up and putting down my headphones and so warm up for "listening time" isnt really valid.

Is this bad?

I leave my 007t on all the time if I know I am going to use it frequently. if I am going a week or so without using it I turn it off. I spoke to Stax and they said it is a bit like fluorescent light bulbs. Switching tubes on and off shortens their life, more so than leaving them on.

They also said that it sould take 20-30mins to fully charge the stators in the O2s.

Simon

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 8
From another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by oso
3- Is it necessary to let the set on or is it preferable to turn it off after each listening session?

The responses

Dear Mr Soriani,

Thank you for your E-Mail. Now to your questions.
Your question No. 03:
We think it is better the amplifier to turn off. You can also safe the energy.

With best regards,

STAX Germany
Karin Zühlke
Postfach 1144 - Untergasse 13
67592 Flörsheim-Dalsheim
Tel. 06243/9030010 - FAX 06243/9030011
e-mail: info@stax-germany.de

This was about the 313 amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back