Stax SR-34 Pro system any good? eg.. Compared to SRD-6 & SR-5
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

QUADGOD

New Head-Fier
I am about to buy another Stax system and was interested in the SR-34 Pro comprising of the SRD-4 & SR-30 headphones.
I have some SR-5's that no longer works although I am trying to get them repaired and an assumed working SRD-6.
Are the SR-30's a better sounding pair than the SR-5's and if so why? Also I would assume the SRD-4 is a 'lesser' model than the SRD-6 I have or does it work the other way around and the lower the number the better the unit?
Thank you..

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I had SR-40 and although they were nice they were inferior to real stats. I would look for SR-5, Gamma, SR-X or Lambda. SRD-4 only works with electret headphones because it does not have bias voltage for stats. SRD-6 works with all normal bias Stax headphones and electrets.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by QUADGOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the SR-30's a better sounding pair than the SR-5's and if so why? Also I would assume the SRD-4 is a 'lesser' model than the SRD-6 I have or does it work the other way around and the lower the number the better the unit? Thank you..

The SR-30 is a good starter 'stat IF IT'S CHEAP and if it's the SR-30/34 Pro (the SR-34 is the SR-30 headphone bundled with the SRD-4 transformer box). A lot of these get bid up to ridiculous prices on eBay. Let's say $65 or less. Otherwise, just as Faust 2D says, go for getting your SR-5 fixed or getting a new one.

The Stax model numbering system is entirely without rational basis, as we've found.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 4
The SRD-4 uses the same transformers as the SRD-5 and maybe some of the previous models. The SRD-6 uses the same transformers as the SRD-7 but has worse specs for some strange reason. Could just be Stax doctoring the numbers to make people feel better about spending more for the second output jack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back