Stax SR-009 vs. Wilson Audio
Jul 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #106 of 120
Depends on who you ask.... I own both headpones and amp. For my 50 year old ears I easily prefer the Stax 009. After more than a year of owing the BHSE + SR009 combination, I am still impressed which is saying something.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #107 of 120
Jul 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #109 of 120
Quote:
Sorry just the BHSE. I owned the Woo Wes previously but with the BHSE....that is all you will need for an electrostatic setup wet dream

So you prefer the BHSE to the Woo WES ?  Humm... very interesting ... could you please elaborate and explain why you changed from Woo WEs to BHSE ?

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #112 of 120
  Would anyone give up the Wilson speakers and jump into the Stax sea?

have both, would never ever get rid of either.
same thing with the B&W 801 and quad esl63

the stax (even all of them together in one box) (and likely including every electrostatic amplifier) still weigh a small fraction of the wilsons

thinking of buying a set of b&w 800 diamond soon.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #113 of 120
Just do it.......    
wink_face.gif

...and then take a hit for the boys, and get the new Sennheiser Orpheus.   You know you want to.......   
L3000.gif

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #115 of 120
But,  but, it's not for real use.....   It's a status symbol.....    bragging rights are on the line here.....  
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #120 of 120
Older wilson designs (early 2000s) used titanium and aluminum drivers, which simply cannot physically match the speed of a high end, nano-film electrostatic driver. They now use doped-paper drivers, which while nice and smooth sounding, again are physically limited by the driver materials speed of sound.

Going to have to jack this image from Brush Wellman again (primarily global beryllium supplier for audio companies):

Beryllium is 2.5x faster, and CVD Diamond (Vapor Deposited Carbon) drivers are 3.5x faster than typical titanium/aluminum drivers.

If you want something that will give you the sense of speed of a Stax SR-009 headphone (or even exceeding it), ideally you should be looking at Raidho D-Series with ribbon tweeters and diamond woofers. Alternatively, Revel Ultima 2 series and Pioneer TAD Reference/Evolution series would give you a good sense of speed as well. Those Wilson speakers are going to be smooth, but relatively slow sounding in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back