Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Jul 13, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #451 of 928
Tell true David you just afraid they will blow away your 009 ,that is why you never put them on your head :)
( just joking )

My friend was there yesterday and he listen Abbys ,009 , Oppo , Audeze and K812.He said to me "after Abyss other headphones sounded bit poor"
I do'tt know how much right is in that because it's not me listened them but It made me to chack flight to Londod for weekend.
I will definitely put them on my head no matter how they look.

David 1961
Do you know is any place around London I can try 009 with BHSE ?

You've found me out, yes I'm worried the Abyss will sound better than the 009's. Ha ! Ha !

Truth being told, whether one headphone sounds better than another doesn't bother me, and the Abyss might sound better than the 009's which also doesn't bother me.
Now if the designer of the Abyss would've designed it to look similar to the HE-90 ( IMO the best looking headphone ever ) I'd have been very happy to try them, but they didn't, in fact IMO they designed them to look the complete opposite.

However, Head-fier IanG that lives about three miles from me has told me how the Abyss sounded, which is another reason why I'm not bothered in trying them.

I only know of Richard ( TheAttorney ) that's got the BHSE that lives down South, but I'm not sure if he's got the 009's.

P.S. What amp did your friend hear the 009's with ?

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #453 of 928
They have 007 Stax amp and with this amp he tried 009.
It was his first listen of Stax so I don't fully trust his opinion because he just may don't like this type of sound.
I must chack that myself because on your own ears you can trust the most.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #455 of 928
Hi!

Just wondering... Why the problem occurs only in one channel? Why it never occur in both channels?

(And please don't answer: "Because if it occurs in both channels, it would not be a channel imbalance problem. 
size]
 )

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #457 of 928
They have 007 Stax amp and with this amp he tried 009.
It was his first listen of Stax so I don't fully trust his opinion because he just may don't like this type of sound.
I must chack that myself because on your own ears you can trust the most.

I once had the SRM-007t which at the time I used it to drive the SR-007mk1 which I also once had, and it was because of that amp it didn't bother me in letting both go. I've since heard the 007mk1's with my BHSE and I found that amp makes them sound completely different. I've also heard my 009's with the SRM-007t and the BHSE also takes the 009's to another SQ level.
IMO the BHSE truly is a remarkable amp, and with the right tubes makes the 009's easily the best sounding headphones ( or Earspeakers ) I've ever heard.
I had the GS-Xmk2 which I recently sold, and while I think it's an amazing amp, selling it hasn't bothered me because of me having the BHSE.

Regarding the Abyss, if you send IanG a PM I'm sure he'll give you his thoughts on how he found the Abyss sounded, he also owns the 009's so he might give you a comparison. The amp Ian has is the LL.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #459 of 928
David
I only regret we don't live close to each other, I would love to bring my SR-Omega and plug in to your BHSE.
That could be very interesting.

Yes it's unfortunate, but someone in Ireland might eventually end up getting the BHSE, that's assuming Justin doesn't stop building them, which I think that might happen if he carries on getting certain posts.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #460 of 928
Originally Posted by Lonely_Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering... Why the problem occurs only in one channel? Why it never occur in both channels?

Good question. I don't know the answer, but it may just be a case of probability:

If say there's a 1 in 20 chance of the problem happening in either side, then I think that makes it a 1 in 400 chance of happening on both sides simultaneously. And a 1 in 100 chance would turn into 1 in 10,000. I'm not a statistician, so maybe someone can correct my logic (I'm ready to duck), but the point is that the probability for both will be considerably lower if the probability is low in the first place..

As someone who has an on/off desire to buy the 009's, I occasionally dip into this thread. The most disconcerting thing for me is that this thread started in May 2011 - and over 3 years later we're still discussing the same problem. I do hope that, each time Stax respond with "no fault found", that they do wonder what can be improved about the design or build process to stop these phones from failing and then self correcting simply by being put on a plane (if that is indeed the catalyst)?

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #461 of 928
I heard back from PriceJapan and will likely proceed with the repair.

For whatever it's worth, they said there have been "recently many SR-009 claims".

Given that Stax apparently sells less than 100 SR-009s per month (per the serial numbers), 1 in 20 with the imbalance issue might be conservative.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #462 of 928
It's unfortunate that some owners of the 009's are having this imbalance problem, I myself have had the 009's for around 2 years 8 months without a problem, I also got them from PriceJapan. However I had the SR-007mk1's for 11 years which I bought in the UK, and in that time I only had one problem which was the cable. I had a new cable put on which was done in the UK, so if I have any problems with my 009's I'll just have them sent there.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #463 of 928
ANYONE HAD PROBLEM WITH US OR EUROPE SOURCED 009S?

I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing any. I was told by Synergy (UK imported) that the issues were first batch only
and then after 12 months not importing them because of that, no further problems in the last 3-4 years.

If there are so few 009 users who sourced via US or Europe dealers, is that because those dealers checked they were ok first.
Mind, my pair were sealed in a plastic bag, then in the new box.

Anyway, the thing I am clinging on to in this subject, is the issue seems to pop up inside 4 weeks of solid use. So hopefully
all those existing users should be ok?

If my pair goes wrong in 3 years, OI would probably pay to get them repaired. I love them that much. What price music happyness?

I heard the LCD can go wrong as well, and the Abyss is so new, that might as well. Treat this stuff with care, don't wear
cheapo polyester shirts (static charge) store the phones in a bell jar or under a cover. Don't get them wet. Don;t out them
near a radiator, or on top of hot amps. Don't let your kids use them, watch the dog doesn't jump on the lead while on your head (my Collie bust my 007s lead)

Anything I missed?

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #464 of 928
Missed one, don't listen to Barry Manilow, that will bust them for sure...... Bermuda Triangle, makes things disappear.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back