Stax SR-009 and T2 successors confirmed for spring 2017
Apr 25, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #241 of 256
Never liked the HD800, the 800s is slightly more to my liking but still not really something that makes me want to own a pair. I'm beginning to think Sennheisers just don't do it for me in general.

LCDs are still way too heavy.

Personally I just go with the Focal Clear, even comes with a carry case for travelling. :D

But electrostat is electrostat, there's certain magic to them and I still want to own a pair.

I meant, yes, electro stat is something else, but is worth it in full scale amps only. I can’t imagine portability. Even smaller Stax Amps can’t perform as well as more chunky Carbon or BHSE, given they are all desktop. Then none of them can catch up to T2, that really means something. My experiences with Stax is that they can sound harsh if not enough juices. I can’t imagine portability to have those juices, unless you mix in some real flavor. But then, it defeat the Magic, let alone the vulnerability to it surrounding elements.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #242 of 256
I meant, yes, electro stat is something else, but is worth it in full scale amps only. I can’t imagine portability. Even smaller Stax Amps can’t perform as well as more chunky Carbon or BHSE, given they are all desktop. Then none of them can catch up to T2, that really means something. My experiences with Stax is that they can sound harsh if not enough juices. I can’t imagine portability to have those juices, unless you mix in some real flavor. But then, it defeat the Magic, let alone the vulnerability to it surrounding elements.

I don't find that to be the case in my experience when demoing the Lamda series on the same amps whenever I visit Japan. The voicing of the headphone themselves seems more related to whether they sound harsh on not rather than the pairing, for example I previously found the SR407 to be the sweet spot for me out of the SRM-007tA while moving up to the 507 was more harsh sounding. I was always this close to just buying the 4170 set on many occasions, only really stopped because of the transformer voltage issue.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #244 of 256
Another question..
I would like to know the pin order from the Stax SRM 002 (the portable driver unit) to build an adaptor to connect other Stax models.

Could you help me with this matter?

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #245 of 256
Hi
Could someone inform me about size of SRM D10?

I would like to know the pin order from the Stax SRM 002 (the portable driver unit) to build an adaptor to connect other Stax models.

Could you help me with this matter?

https://stax-international.com/products/srm-d10/

Dimensions: 140.8mm W × 32mm H × 75mm D
Net weight: 450g
Standard STAX 5Pin connector for all STAX earspeakers.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #246 of 256
Never liked the HD800, the 800s is slightly more to my liking but still not really something that makes me want to own a pair. I'm beginning to think Sennheisers just don't do it for me in general.

LCDs are still way too heavy.

Personally I just go with the Focal Clear, even comes with a carry case for travelling. :D

But electrostat is electrostat, there's certain magic to them and I still want to own a pair.

The LCD2-C is very light, and a bargain IMO. Didn't think much of the Utopia when I demoed it.... too small soundstage and get wobbly in the bass if played loud, makes me wonder about it's dynamic range.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #247 of 256
The LCD2-C is very light, and a bargain IMO. Didn't think much of the Utopia when I demoed it.... too small soundstage and get wobbly in the bass if played loud, makes me wonder about it's dynamic range.

The LCD2C is 550g, every other dynamic/elecstat headphone we are talking here is about 200g lighter. It's completely fair to say the LCD2-C is too heavy.

If the Utopia you demoed has wobbly bass I'd say it's probably faulty, I can play the Clear loud as a speaker and the sound is completely tight.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #248 of 256
Hi
Could someone inform me about size of SRM D10?

Thanks a lot

DSC01491.jpg

https://staxaudio.com/driver/stax-srm-d10

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #249 of 256
The 009 is 450 grams, and 580g with the cable. So if the cable is part resting on a desk probably about 550g. The LCD2-C cable weights almost nothing.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #250 of 256
The 009 is 450 grams, and 580g with the cable. So if the cable is part resting on a desk probably about 550g. The LCD2-C cable weights almost nothing.

No way. The plug itself is probably 100g by itself as the STAX connectors are huge (XLR size) while the cable weight will be distributed over a long length of cable (2.5m), only about 10cm of cable will free hang from the headphone and maybe 30cm of it will be resting on your chest when you are sitting on a chair taking off some of the weight so it's still going to be much less than 500g actually on the head. The 130g of cable you are talking about won't suddenly add 100g on the headphone, the maths just looks wrong. The Lamda series is even lighter at 390g with the headphone itself.

The LCD2 is still already too heavy by itself at 550g, you can't hand wave your way out of that fact.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #253 of 256
My other question was to know the pin order of the Stax SRM-002 . I know the three left is for left channel and the other three for right...but I need to identify the position.

I,ve found theese pics form Hifi.ru forum

SRM-002.jpg

STAX SRM-002.1.jpg

I,ll keep those parts and put a Stax female connector in the other side. Something like the adaptors for HE-60

83461_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back