Stax SR-007 driver dead
Sep 27, 2015 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FeetAsleep

Head-Fier
Hello all

Long time no HEadfiing  here 

A couple of months ago the left side of my 007 MK1 died. After some communications with the US distributor I'm not really sure if it worth the cost to repair them vs getting another set since the cost is quite high and they replace old drivers with the latest.I am wondering is the MK1 still the "best" version of the 007 or is it supplanted by another better model . Last I checked people were trying to mod the MK 2 to make it better but I am a bit in the dark now. I am only interested in 007 not 009. I watched Bob Katz video off the Stereophile blog and he mentions modified one of his 007 which is his favorite.

Thanks

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 14
I heard my friends SR-007A that he got from PJ a couple of months ago, driven by the BHSE, and the SQ was a lot better than two SR-007mk2's I'd heard sometime ago, and to what I recall they sounded just as good as the 007mk1's, although it was sometime ago when I heard the mk1's, I was also using stock Mullard's with the BHSE when I heard the 007mk1's, whereas with the 007A Mullard xf4's were being used.
Those 007A's hadn't had that mod done, so I obviously don't know how they'd sound with that mod, however instructions for that mod can be found on H-C.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks. So the release order was:

SR-007 MK1
SR-007 MK2
SR-007A

with the SR-007A the one to get?

The SR-007 Mk2 is the export version of the SR-007A. Both the same except the Mk2 is all black. Now whether there have been changes done to both of them over the years they have been manufactured, that is debatable. I recently bought a "new" Mk2 from Tats and was not too enthusiastic about how they sound. He may have had them sitting in inventory for some time. Whereas the folks who recently ordered from PJ are fresher from the Stax factory.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 14
  Hello all

A couple of months ago the left side of my 007 MK1 died. After some communications with the US distributor I'm not really sure if it worth the cost to repair them vs getting another set since the cost is quite high and they replace old drivers with the latest.I am wondering is the MK1 still the "best" version of the 007 or is it supplanted by another better model . Last I checked people were trying to mod the MK 2 to make it better but I am a bit in the dark now. I am only interested in 007 not 009. I watched Bob Katz video off the Stereophile blog and he mentions modified one of his 007 which is his favorite.

Thanks

I like the MK1s  So I got two pair.  That is the only reliable warranty around for these.  As you know there are a few different SN ranges for these.

I have a pair in the 70xxx range and a newer pair in the SZ1 range..

The SR-007 Mk2 is the export version of the SR-007A. Both the same except the Mk2 is all black. Now whether there have been changes done to both of them over the years they have been manufactured, that is debatable. I recently bought a "new" Mk2 from Tats and was not too enthusiastic about how they sound. He may have had them sitting in inventory for some time. Whereas the folks who recently ordered from PJ are fresher from the Stax factory.

What's the SN on yours?

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Decided I'd buy another SR-007 since the 009 are not doing it for me after the initial wow period with them.

Does anyone know what serial number/version are currently being shipped from Price Japan

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 14
Decided I'd buy another SR-007 since the 009 are not doing it for me after the initial wow period with them.

Does anyone know what serial number/version are currently being shipped from Price Japan

Not sure of the actual serial numbers, but expect them to be freshly manufactured. The dealers PJ buys from sell them quickly.

By all reports the currently shipping 007As are the good ones.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 14
Hello all

Thanks

How exactly does a Stax electrostatic driver die? These are pretty sturdy, I am sitting here right now listening to a 40-year old SR5 which runs perfectly, and (after adding sorbothane damping in the earcups) gives my 007A a run for the money. The worst that can happen with older models, which were run off transformers, is that they burned holes in the diaphragm, but would still run, often with minimal change in sound.

Is it possible that you may just have a broken wire somewhere? I seem to recall that the Mk1 had a poor strain relief outside of the earcup. Even my 007A broke there. Also the 007A has a fussy set of little wires running from where the cable is fixed to the earcup, to the actual driver. I don't know if the Mk1 has the same construction.

If you had dropped these 40 stories down to the pavement it is possible that the drivers could actually be broken, but you would tell us that wouldn't you?

BTW, how much do you want for the defunct Mk1 ? (cough)

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 14
How exactly does a Stax electrostatic driver die? These are pretty sturdy, I am sitting here right now listening to a 40-year old SR5 which runs perfectly, and (after adding sorbothane damping in the earcups) gives my 007A a run for the money. The worst that can happen with older models, which were run off transformers, is that they burned holes in the diaphragm, but would still run, often with minimal change in sound.

Is it possible that you may just have a broken wire somewhere? I seem to recall that the Mk1 had a poor strain relief outside of the earcup. Even my 007A broke there. Also the 007A has a fussy set of little wires running from where the cable is fixed to the earcup, to the actual driver. I don't know if the Mk1 has the same construction.

If you had dropped these 40 stories down to the pavement it is possible that the drivers could actually be broken, but you would tell us that wouldn't you?

BTW, how much do you want for the defunct Mk1 ? (cough)

I'm not to sure. I went to listen to them one day and their was no sound from one side. Tried different amps and swapping cables around nothing fixed it.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 14
Yes agree with edstrelow . I have had many breakages of my 007 MK1  all at the headphone clamping  position . To test I used an analog multimeter on the ohms range  using a fine needle I stuck it in ,inside the clamp and  another further down  the same cable conductor and metered both for continuity ,did the same on each in turn . Worked every time . Never seen a blown driver on one  although I did manage to blow an old Stax Lamba  when testing  using a sine wave input from a generator  which was set too high and connected via a power amp to a Stax transformer box  but thats the only time that fault occurred normally always the cord.  

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 14
[size=10pt]Hello All,[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]I'm a long time lurker but now a new member. I found this thread and read it with great interest when the left side driver of my SR-007 A's completely died. I would like to share with all of you my repair experience. I'm in NY State so I reached out to two authorized Stax Dealers in NY (Woo Audio and Stereo Exchange) to get the US Stax distributors contact information. David Wasserman, the founder and owner of Stereo Exchange responded the next day with this link: [/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-USA.html  [/size]

[size=10pt]This link is the contact information for Yama's Enterprises Inc.[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Mike from Woo Audio responded quickly with this link: [/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=9.5pt]https://www.staxusa.com/Service.html [/size][size=9.5pt][/size]

[size=10pt]This link is the contact information for Accutech[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Both of these companies are located in California with the same address, telephone and fax numbers.[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]I called numerous times, always connected to their voicemail box, left detailed messages, but I never got a reply. I emailed numerous times and I never got a reply. This went on for two weeks. I decided to email Stax parent company Edifier with my request for a repair at my full expense. Edifier responded the next business day with a copy of my email forwarded to Stax Sales and Marketing executive Mr. Douglas IP.  (I didn’t know who Mr. IP was, I found out later when I saw him in a YouTube video promoting Stax products at a CanJam event)[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Mr. IP was cordial, attentive and a pleasure to partner with. He emailed the US distributor for a repair. When I didn’t hear from him within a week I politely followed up. He explained that he wasn’t able to reach the US Stax distributor, and he wanted the repair to be in the US because of logistics. He asked to contact me after Christmas, wished me a happy holiday season and he promised that he wouldn’t forget about my repair.[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Mr. IP emailed me the first week in January and gave me Stax Japan’s repair facilities name and address:[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=9.5pt]A&M Enterprise LTD[/size]

[size=9.5pt]2-16-24 Gakuencho, Higashikurume-Shi[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Tokyo 203-0021, Japan[/size]

[size=9.5pt] [/size]

[size=9.5pt]He stated that after many emails with the US distributor he decided to have Stax Japan execute the repair. The shipping cost from my location in NY was $74.00 including insurance. Mr. IP contacted me with a repair invoice a day after the headphones arrived at A&M Enterprises. The invoice cost could only be paid in Japanese Yen by Bank Telex Transfer. The invoice included the receiving Japanese Bank’s name, swift number, account name and account number. Here is that invoice break down:[/size]

[size=9.5pt] [/size]

[size=9.5pt]Sound Element Replacement (1 Set) - Yen 45,000/Set ($396.26)[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Technical and Labor – Yen 12,000 ($105.67)[/size]

[size=9.5pt]EMS Postage – Yen 6,600 ($58.12)[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Import Duty Total – Yen 4,600 ($40.51)[/size]

[size=9.5pt]T/T (Telex Transfer) Receiving Bank Charge – Yen 4,000 ($35.22)[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Grand Total – Yen 72,200 ($635.78) + my Bank’s $35.00 Transfer Charge = $670.78[/size]

[size=9.5pt] [/size]

[size=9.5pt]Mr. IP informed me that the repair would take 10 to 12 business days to complete and the headphones will have a 6 month warranty. MY SR-007 A’s serial number is SZ2-2xxx, so I expect the sound signature to be quite different because the repair will use the latest Stax SR-007 drivers. I also own a set of SR-007 MK1’s with serial number 704xx. It will be interesting to compare the two when the repair is complete.[/size]

[size=9.5pt] [/size]

[size=9.5pt]I hope this information helps anyone else that is unfortunate enough to have a Stax SR-007 or SR-009 headphone driver fail.[/size]

[size=9.5pt] [/size]

[size=9.5pt]Best regards,[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Anthony[/size]

[size=9.5pt] [/size]

[size=9.5pt] [/size]

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 14
I think that cost is very reasonable actually. I had my 009s repaired last year as they failed 20 months into the 24 months warranty (UK warranty). I was not charge anything for that. They are ok so far since, and sound prefect. (rushing round the house touching wood things).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back