Stax SR-003, impressions
Mar 17, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #31 of 54
I would also think their complete lack of isolation precludes them from useful in a lot of those situations.

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #32 of 54
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I find them much more isolating than the big Stax. With those on I can still hear plenty around me, with the 003 I really don't hear much of anything except my music. I guess it could be me playing it a little loudly but I really think they do a decent job of keeping out external noises, at least while the music is playing.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #33 of 54
A couple of points:

RE
biggrin.gif
ISCOMFORT

The band is metal and can be easily bent back to reduce pressure on the ear.

RE: ISOLATION

They have some isolation because they seal the ear canal. However they remain an open-back system and while giving more isolation that most such sets it is nothing like an ear canal system, even if you jam them into the canal (because of the open back) . I find them practical in the car with windows open, at the beach, but not on an airplane.

RE: OTHER AMPS

The 003, while "pro" or high bias, can be used quite decently with the older low bias amps or transformers. I am running them off an SRS12. However they may need a few minutes to reach their proper volume level with such sources. By comparison, the regular pro Stax line, will sound pretty anemic on a low bias jack.

RE: OTHER STAX HEADPHONES

The 404 will give more sound at the top and bottom end. Many find the 404 somewhat edgy whereas the rolled off top of the 003's sounds good with what would be hard to listen to with the 404. Sometimes, however, the reduced top end is annoying with classical music. Their tonal balance is closer to the old Sigma phones, the big boxy ones that preceded the Lambda designs such as the 303 and 404.

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
They are $149 at audiocubes, I only got the headset as I am using my 313 amp.

[smacks forehead] Oh! I should've guessed. Thanks! [runs off to peek at AudioCubes site]

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #37 of 54
If you really want to have some fun try the SR-003 with one of the older Stax portable amps. I have an SRD-P and an SRD-X and they both sound wonderful with the SR-003. There is plenty of juice behind them I think partly because they use 8 c-cell batteries. They may weigh a ton but they work very well together. Watch e-bay as these come up more than a few times a year. The 8 c-cell batteries last about 60 hours. Both units also came with wall warts to power them.

I have been enthusiastically recommending the SR-003 since I have been out here. It is great to see that some of you have seen the light. In the 2 years that I have had them they have never given me any problems and they are used almost every day. As I have SR-404's, SR-003's and Lambda Pro's (not the signatures) it is hard to decide which to listen to. The Lambda's are put away and I trade off between the 404's and the the 003's. I likes 'em both.

I do not use the 003's in loud environments (planes, trains and automobiles). I do use them at hotels though. A good portable CDP with a line out into the SRD-X connected to the 003 is a very satisfactory portable system.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pspivak
If you really want to have some fun try the SR-003 with one of the older Stax portable amps. I have an SRD-P and an SRD-X and they both sound wonderful with the SR-003. There is plenty of juice behind them I think partly because they use 8 c-cell batteries. They may weigh a ton but they work very well together. Watch e-bay as these come up more than a few times a year. The 8 c-cell batteries last about 60 hours. Both units also came with wall warts to power them.

How different are the SRD-P and SRD-X, sonically?

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #40 of 54
In a nutshell, the SRD-P sounds to me as if it is more powerful as I do not have to turn the volume control as far to get the same volume (my perception, anyway). Other than that the two units sound, more or less, the same to me. But, I have not listened for the differences between the two devices.

Let me know if you need me to mke some kind of critical judgment.

Apr 26, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #41 of 54
Hi,
You guys get me thinking about this baby. Which one is better for office?
1) Corda Aria>AKG k271S
2) Firestone DAC>Stax SRS-005a?

Is the 003 leaky?
Cheers

Apr 26, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #42 of 54
I've never heard the K271, so I can't really say how it compares in terms of quality. But, the K271 isolates, the SR-001 doesn't, though it doesn't leak much sound, especially in a busy office environment. If you need to take calls or hold conversations, then the SR-001 would be better, especially if you don't crank it up to ear-bleeding levels. If OTOH you want to filter out external sounds, go for the K271.

Apr 26, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #43 of 54
The description of the SR-003 sound signature is just the type that I
like. The only problem for me is that I have small ears and wonder if
they might feel uncomfortable after two to three hours of use (assuming
they fit in the first place)? My comfort level is already maxed out with the
EX71's as a size reference.

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #45 of 54
You can wear them on the headband without pushing them into your ears. This way, ear canal size probably won't matter. Comfort is definitely not their stong suit, though. You basically have to get used to them, and they will feel quite uncomfortable intitially. But, after the adjustment period, they are just fine, for me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back