Stax SR-001
Feb 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #31 of 35
Free Novacaine prescription with every SR-001 Mk3 sold?

They do need to fix the comfort issue. Also redesign the amp, the thing is ancient and a serious bottleneck besides. Some more treble extension wouldn't hurt either but there's so much potential in the headphones aready that some amp improvements together with a comfort fix will definitely make for a worthwhile upgrade/replacement.

Fit is an issue too - not having the right fit hurts sound quality. A bit more leeway in this department will make for much more consistent listening impressions. A modded SR-001 that's fitting right will absolutely destroy any other portables short of the top-tier customs, and they need to make sure that this kind of performance is accessible to the majority of listeners, and not just the few that stick around long enough to get a good fit.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news.

Best news if those flanges fit the Mk2 and can be purchased at a reasonable price.

If that is the case, then I might as well look for second hand mk2 before the price go up exponentially.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that is the case, then I might as well look for second hand mk2 before the price go up exponentially.

Why, because the old version of any given Stax is always considered to be superior? That's not always true.

Spritzer makes good points about the strain relief points on the cable. The Mk2 (and presumably the Mk1) are needlessly fragile.

My grandmother was named Nelda, btw.

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why, because the old version of any given Stax is always considered to be superior? That's not always true.

True dat, but a used Mk2 system might be a good bargain none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back