Stax SR-001, worth it?
Jun 19, 2004 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dotslashconfig

Head-Fier
I'm considering getting the Stax SR-001 set. It seems like a relatively affordable introduction to electrostatic headphones. It also seems somewhat portable.

Anyone have any experiences with the SR-001 to share?

Jun 19, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 8
Very nice intro to electrostatics. Punchy bass with an excellent midrange........guitars are incredible. However, be warned that the top end is rolled off a bit. I'm not sure whether it is the amp or the 'phones that are responsible. In either case, the highs are definitely not extended. I tend to overlook this, though, because of the glorious electrostatic midrange. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 8
It doesn't offer any isolation for portable use, the amplifier pack munches through batteries like there's no tomorrow (as well as adding portable bulk... it's a little bigger than a pack of cards), it crackles when you move your jaw, and you can't use it properly when there's any significant trace of moisture in the atmosphere... and definitely not in the rain.

Now the good news: What joelongwood says is absolutely right
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 8
I have had this set for about 2 years and am very happy. I agree with most of the previous comments, good punchy sound, probably the result of being quite efficient as electrostatics go, so fairly east to drive even with 2 AA batteries. You can also run the system from a transformer and get a bit more punch.

The top end is rolled off, but this is not a big problem, in fact it improves most po/rock recordings which often have excessive treble and can sound harsh and edgy through regular stats. I only notice the treble attenuation as a minor annoyance with flat-recorded classical music, eg. Telarc recordings. The effect is almost certainly in the phones not the amp. I have the SR001 and its mate with the regular plug and that sounds just like the 001 when run on my regular SRM-3 Stax amp. Like all stats, sound improves with regular use or warm-up.

I don't find battery use to a problem. I would estimate about 4-6 hours with NIMH batteries, more if use is very intermittent or with new nicads. I usually keep an extra set of NIMH's in the carrying case and use them alternately with a portable cd palyer or the 001 amp.

Also there is significant isolation, compared to wholey open phones. I use mine quite nicely at the beach, near surf, or even in an car with windows open at freeway speeds.

I don't know what the crackle is supposed to be about, I have never heard it, nor have I had a problem in damp environments. I have run with them but I wouldn't want to get them wet, nor any other piece of electronics. I remember comments about one runner shorting them out with sweat from his head. I would have thought that is possible to do although difficult.

Experiment with the two tips provided since these affect bass response and isolation. Also the metal headband may have to be bent back, because it can give too much pressure when the phones are inserted in the ear. This is easily done.

Go for a decent mini-mini interconnect, Headroom has one for about $20.00 which was a big improvement over my first cheap one. There are even more expensive ones available.

Finally I needed a least a day to break in the phones, which were totally treble deficient for several hours.

EIFL has the whole set for about $250.00 which is a real deal.

Jun 20, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 8
There is no isolation with the SR-001 whatever tip you use. (And I'm talking in the context of phones which actually offer isolation) The fit is important though.

Regarding the crackling, if you chew gum it's like treading over a field of chips/crisps packets
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
..and you can't use it properly when there's any significant trace of moisture in the atmosphere... and definitely not in the rain.

where i live i have 90-95% humidity and it rains ~95 inches a year.. so no 'stats for me?
frown.gif

Jun 20, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 8
The more humid it is, the less the ribbon works well or something along those lines. I forgot what it said in the instruction booklet. Japan gets very humid though, so humidity in itself may not be a terminal problem. It does say do not use in rain though... and I also loved the sentence "If smoke is seen coming out of the phones, discontinue use immediately"
biggrin.gif

Rather than the limits in the usage environment, it was the lack of practicality that put me off the SR-001. I find it bothersome even carrying a Xin SuperMini/Micro in addition to a portable, so something about 4 times bigger than the SuperMini that you have to load up with a bunch of fresh Ni-Mh AA's every few hours was a real drag.

Jun 20, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 8
I have a set that I used to listen while commuting, but I've long since retired it. The reason was not humidity (Hong Kong is as humid as can be, yet the set functioned amiably), not crackles (I don't chew gum, or talk while I'm "on the phone"), not battery life (two recharchagable NiH's lasts about 3 hours), and of course not bad sound (the roll-off is hardly noticable unless you've experienced something better).

The reason was the fragile ribbons of cables, which snaped far too often than I would wish. Of course, the cables of all kinds of earbuds are prone to fracture; but to me, sending back the set back to the repairman once every 9 months was too much of a hassle. Now I'm using some cheap buds that I can simply throw away when they give up the ghost.

And when I really want good sound, I go home and listen to my Stax-4040 set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back